1.8 oz Dacron

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

billyvray

Does anyone have a clue where the lightweight Dacron is produced? I've searched and had a tough time trying to find a supplier. I mean for ordering a large quantity, of course.

dog

Does anyone have a clue where the lightweight Dacron is produced? I've searched and had a tough time trying to find a supplier. I mean for ordering a large quantity, of course.
Dupont.
unless you mean generic polyester,then anywhere.

proppastie

Log Member
The fabric is most likely produced in China, if you are willing to order say 1000 yards you probably can get a factory there to produce it. They already make it but you would have to stop them from pre-shrinking it....This is done I believe by pressing between heated rollers at the end of the line ....Unless the raw thread is heated as it is produced.....takes some knowledge and expeience to get just ordering it correctly or you may end up with a very expensive mistake. .......Trying to communicate with the vendors on Alibaba is time consuming....Thomas Register has fabric mills listed too. The fabric is a "taffeta" weave and thread count is listed on the spec. of the existing higher priced fabrics

Last edited:

crusty old aviator

Norm still has it in 48” width fabric for $2.75/yd, but you’ll have to recalculate how many lineal yards to buy:
PRODUCTS • CALL FOR PRICE • Covering Supplies - PolyFiber / Ceconite / Randolph.Best Prices. NORM AERO Toll Free 1-888 811-2232• Contact Norm Douthit - NORM AERO, Owner - located San Bernardino, CA United States
His stuff will shrink about 13% at 250F.

proppastie

Log Member
Norm still has it in 48” width fabric for $2.75/yd, but you’ll have to recalculate how many lineal yards to buy:
PRODUCTS • CALL FOR PRICE • Covering Supplies - PolyFiber / Ceconite / Randolph.Best Prices. NORM AERO Toll Free 1-888 811-2232• Contact Norm Douthit - NORM AERO, Owner - located San Bernardino, CA United States
His stuff will shrink about 13% at 250F.
I just cleaned him out.....his last 76 yards. .......He said it was from the Polyfiber factory and that they were not going to be getting any more, same story as Spruce "stopped making it" ..... Which does not make sense unless the other higher priced 1.8 or 1.9 oz fabric is going to run out as well and we will not be able to get that either...... Looks like I have enough......Hopefully someone young and vigorous will be able to deal with the Chinese manufacturers along with all the US dealers to bring back this product line. We can still get the higher priced fabric in this light weight for now. All in all with the costs of everything maybe it is not so unreasonable a price.

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
Slightly lighter, and may be too expensive, Diatex 1000 61in 1.50Z
You might be able to find a supplier locally. It was in stock yesterday.
tried to find a price on line....I did not want to bother someone as I also thought it probably was "too expensive"....I am very wary when I can not see a price, usually it is because it is more than I want to pay.

crusty old aviator

He said it was from the Polyfiber factory and that they were not going to be getting any more, same story as Spruce "stopped making it" .....
They probably weren't selling enough of the 48" width 1.8 oz. to justify investing in another run of it, so they dropped it from their product line.

proppastie

Log Member
still selling these.

The Wicks is the best price, at about 2.7x the cost of what I paid by sq inches, 71" vs 48"

Last edited:

proppastie

Log Member
I wonder if the “SF” prefix in the Wicks item# means Super Flite?
Perhaps....Thread drift.....I screwed up an injector in my Mooney when cleaning them....buggered up the threads.....The Lycoming LW number was $285, while searching on one site for used ones there was another number with the LW number....I googled that number and came up with Precision Airmotive part at $113 new....about the price they wanted for the used LW parts.

TFF

It’s one of the difficult things with the Internet sales, finding price. I use to be able to call the Aviall sales guys and they would give me a rundown. Now you have to do it all yourself, which is good and bad. There is no expert in parts sales that can weed out reality. Lycoming prices it’s stuff to turn you to the subcontractors; they just have to make it available from them per FAA. You ought to buy a part from Rolls. I wanted to buy a couple of tools. They wanted $3000 for two tools. The guy that makes them for them sells them for $300. Aviation does not work like the rest of business.