YouTuber under FAA Investigation for seemingly deliberate crash...

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

cblink.007

The things social media-a-holics do for "likes"...even if it means willful destruction of property and potentially endangering people!

How is it said? Oh yeah:

Play Stupid Games...Win Stupid Prizes!

You be the judge.

NOTE TO MODERATORS: If this is a repeat thread for this event, you can delete this thread!

Toobuilder

Log Member
Sad that this forum is filled with people desperate to own/fly an airplane, and this jackass crashes one for youtube "likes". A seemingly nice little pre war T-cart too. What a waste. I think I'll go fly mine tonight in memory.

Aside from the needless destruction of a classic, the complete disregard for safety is appalling. What if this airplane took out a bunch of children on a nature hike? As if we dont get enough bad press from "legitimate" emergency situations!

I hope they airlift the wreckage out with a helicopter and do a "California style" environmental cleanup of the site and send him the bill. Should be close to six figures by the time they are done.

Those youtube "likes" are going to cost him dearly!

Last edited:

trimtab

For sending an unmanned, uncontrolled, unlicenced drone out, it's 364 days in Federal prison for each count.

I'm pretty sure there will be one conveniently located near where he lives.

His social media will be dead within a month of starting to serve his sentence. Problem solved. Let him figure out an honest way to earn a living instead of getting even dumber sociopaths inspired to do even more dangerous stunts.

pylon500

I've been following this, and all the aviation 'tubers putting up questions and observations like;
GoPro in the cockpit facing forward- no footage.
The fuel selector hanging off the side of the door frame.
The non-pilot, sim flyer that successfully deadsticked his Savage Cub into one of the many river beds.
A real pilot that flew his real Kitfox to the 'engine failure' position and height, and then proceeded to glide back to a nearby AIRPORT!
A recent one with someone noticing what looks like a fire extinguisher in his trouser leg?!
(and possibly his missing water bottle in his other leg...)
The fact that he hiked to the wreckage and removed all the GoPro's.
Rumours that he has already hired a helicopter, and gone up and removed the wreckage.
The list goes on...
And as for the 'redneck' that wrecked the other T'craft, he's not what he seems either...
Yeah, I watched 'Idiocracy', and it is a worry.

BearHawk747

I've got close to 100 hours logged in a 1945 Taylorcraft. I can tell you that if the engine went out - that is not what any competent pilot would do. The first red flag for me was how he slowed his airspeed to get the prop to stop windmilling.

Not only do you want to keep the engine turning so you have the best chance of getting it to restart - it's actually pretty tough to get that engine stopped. You've got to be on the edge of a stall to stop the engine. I know - I've done it.

Best glide speed is around 65-70MPH. If it were a real emergency, he would have trimmed for that glide and tried switch mags, tried the primer, tried carb heat - and all the while pointing the plane away from the mountains.

My dad's '45 T-crate has a 12:1 glide ratio - I assume the '41 is similar. If he's at 9,000' AGL? He could have glided over 20 miles. Absolutely no reason to ditch it in the mountains.

TFF

Like one of the videos dissecting it. He wears a skydiving rig and says he never flys without a parachute. Really. None of his other videos have a chute. He is definitely jumping with a chute he is familiar with; not an emergency chute. He needs a steerable chute to get his cameras. He is very high. His other videos flying bush planes doesn’t have him scared loosing an engine. Fuel line from aux tank flopping around from being disconnected probably to drain it out. The minute he looses the engine he is setting up for a jump. Minimum airspeed not best glide. He does stop the prop, but it doesn’t seem for better glide. Dramatic effect. I would bet with the drained wing tank there was only enough gas; ran it out on purpose for no fire, but ran it out with intent. He is ready to film the fall. He also tries to video the crash so he is not scared like the way I would be.

What would have been great if if the airplane landed it’s self on a hilltop. Do over?

Rik-

Sad that this forum is filled with people desperate to own/fly an airplane, and this jackass crashes one for youtube "likes". A seemingly nice little pre war T-cart too. What a waste. I think I'll go fly mine tonight in memory.

Aside from the needless destruction of a classic, the complete disregard for safety is appalling. What if this airplane took out a bunch of children on a nature hike? As if we dont get enough bad press from "legitimate" emergency situations!

I hope they airlift the wreckage out with a helicopter and do a "California style" environmental cleanup of the site and send him the bill. Should be close to six figures by the time they are done.

Those youtube "likes" are going to cost him dearly!
Apparently from the reports, the pilot had the plane airlifted out via helicopter himself.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can see in a few frames that the main tank is NOT empty, it's at least half full.

Dominic Eller

What a total DICK! Obviously he’s innocent until proven guilty ( he’s guilty as) . The obvious safety implications are one thing, but to intentionally write off an airworthy aircraft!!!! I’d like to back hand the punk for that!
How many talented young and not so young pilots are out there that will never be able to afford to own an aircraft and this twat throws his away! I would make him finance someone into an aircraft and pay it’s up keep! What a F..k wit!

BJC

I would make him finance someone into an aircraft and pay it’s up keep!
While I disapprove of the stunt, it (apparently) was his airplane. People who don’t want that kind of thing happening, should go and find those old airplanes, buy those airplanes, fly those airplanes, and pay for the upkeep themselves.

BJC

Brünner

Guys, let's wait for the report to finalize - or at least to have more details - before hanging him, shall we?

Status
Not open for further replies.