Quantcast

You thought amateur drones were dangerous, what about the jetpacks?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yep, 2000 is the floor in that area
TAC can be found here:
I am curious about being 10 miles out and only "about 3000" as the pilot said he was at. I would think much higher is normal, but not sure.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
A 3 degree glide slope is 9.5 nm out at 3,000 above field elevation. Glide slope is intercepted from below and the aircraft needs to slow to approach speed.
The airline pilot said his airplane was "about" 3000 feet. Could the airliner have been at say 2500 feet? That would only be 500 above the class B floor. If he saw a jet pack at say 2000 feet (below the class B floor) he might be shocked. But the jet pack might be legal.
Are the jet pack EA-B or ultralight? Neither would require a transponder if no electrical system, I think.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The airline pilot said his airplane was "about" 3000 feet. Could the airliner have been at say 2500 feet? That would only be 500 above the class B floor. If he saw a jet pack at say 2000 feet (below the class B floor) he might be shocked. But the jet pack might be legal.
Are the jet pack EA-B or ultralight? Neither would require a transponder if no electrical system, I think.
I dpubt that there was a jet pack at 2,500 or 3,000 AGL.

BJC

rv7charlie

BJC, did you see my earlier link to 'Jetman'? Not saying it was him (I'm sure it wouldn't be), but that guy flies with military jet teams, etc. If someone else built a copy, they could easily be at that altitude.

Reactions: BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
BJC, did you see my earlier link to 'Jetman'? Not saying it was him (I'm sure it wouldn't be), but that guy flies with military jet teams, etc. If someone else built a copy, they could easily be at that altitude.
Yves Rossy is a real pro; I’ve seen him fly a couple of times. Like you, I seriously doubt that he would be in the airspace of the incident, although there could be someone else who is not so professional

BJC

Dennis K

Reminds me of the C-141 pilot who reported a parachute sighted while descending into Kadena back in the 1960's. He actually did see a parachute but it was the 18 inch bamboo and orange paper parachute under one of our radiosonde balloons as it flashed by at around 220 kts. I realize it's diffacult for some of us to accept but without a frame of reference you see what you expect to see and that is why hobbyists quadcoptors have become the new UFO's.

Iwerk

Alan_VA

Two different planes reported seeing a guy in a jetpack at 3,000 ft on the approach path to LAX:

Sounds like a suicide mission to me. Self-nominated Darwin Award candidate?

wktaylor

Anyone with the limited skills, means and capability to fly a true turbine jetpack would probably NOT be inclined to violate approach airspace and risk death/injury to themselves or others, or imprisonment.... just to make a daring test or demo flight... and raise alarm bells.

Aerowerx

Anyone with the limited skills, means and capability to fly a true turbine jetpack would probably NOT be inclined to violate approach airspace and risk death/injury to themselves or others, or imprisonment.... just to make a daring test or demo flight... and raise alarm bells.
You should never overestimate the intelligence of your fellow humans!

speedracer

A guy flew across the English Channel with his jetpack so reasonable duration is possible. Was me, I'd definitely be wearing a 'chute. You'd attract lots less attention coming back down that way too.

davidb

I had a quick look on Live Flight Tracker - Real-Time Flight Tracker Map | Flightradar24
I went back to the date and time of the incident to see the flight track.
This was the plane that was involved in this incident.
View attachment 101279
Something is wrong with that flight track. The flight was on Aug 30 and the track was straight in from 50+ miles out.

davidb

It's called COVID. A year ago, that would have been **** strange, but far fewer flights currently.
No, I meant when I looked up the actual flight/date on flightaware.com it shows the flight track as a straight green line to rwy 25L. The yellow and white track posted above is bogus. CoVid symptoms don’t include taxiway landings and there are no north/south runways at LAX.

henryk

=РОССИЯ...