Quantcast

You thought amateur drones were dangerous, what about the jetpacks?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member

Aerowerx

Two different planes reported seeing a guy in a jetpack at 3,000 ft on the approach path to LAX:

I bet the guy with the jetpack had to change his pants after that.:wonder:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Pilot said he was 10 miles out on final around 3000. Looks like the class B floor might be 2000 out there?
I don't have the VFR Terminal chart.

davidb

Something isn’t adding up with this incident. Are there even jet packs available to individual “yahoos”? I mean aren’t they all the property of either companies doing research or exhibition companies? The report location puts them right in the busiest part of the class B airspace and they would have had to launch and recover from a densely populated area meaning someone on the ground would have seen it and probably has cell phone video. Anyone pulling a stunt like this would expect to get caught and suffer severe consequences.

Perhaps it was a Mylar balloon made to look like a jet pack man or perhaps a drone towing a cardboard decoy.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
They have turbojet engines now. Can probably stay up several minutes, perhaps longer. Usually launch from a lake platform.

jsharp

Something isn’t adding up with this incident. Are there even jet packs available to individual “yahoos”? I mean aren’t they all the property of either companies doing research or exhibition companies? The report location puts them right in the busiest part of the class B airspace and they would have had to launch and recover from a densely populated area meaning someone on the ground would have seen it and probably has cell phone video. Anyone pulling a stunt like this would expect to get caught and suffer severe consequences.

Perhaps it was a Mylar balloon made to look like a jet pack man or perhaps a drone towing a cardboard decoy.
I remember years ago a gentleman in Mexico was making the older style peroxide jetpacks. Their flight time is extremely short so I doubt that technology was used. The new jetpacks are large RC gas turbines and have been proven to work. Still not sure you can make that altitude with the very short flight time that even the current generation of jetpacks allow.
A mystery to me.... Joe

davidb

Something like this is more likely but still hard to avoid witnesses of the launch and recovery. I’m guessing the FBI has some leads by now.

pictsidhe

I remember years ago a gentleman in Mexico was making the older style peroxide jetpacks. Their flight time is extremely short so I doubt that technology was used. The new jetpacks are large RC gas turbines and have been proven to work. Still not sure you can make that altitude with the very short flight time that even the current generation of jetpacks allow.
A mystery to me.... Joe
Making the altitude is one thing, getting back down safely is another.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Pilot said he was 10 miles out on final around 3000. Looks like the class B floor might be 2000 out there?
I don't have the VFR Terminal chart.
Yep, 2000 is the floor in that area
TAC can be found here:

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
The two R/C models in Tiger Tim's photo seem like a completely viable possibility. Large electric motors inside a jet-pack size/shape fabric sleeve are WELL within the realm of an average R/C hobbyist.