Quantcast

You thought amateur drones were dangerous, what about the jetpacks?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Noeson

I think I just found a new engine for my Lazair, which, with an inverted tail, is well suited for jet conversion! Outstanding thrust/weight ratio in those JetCat engines, price is right...five grand for like 69 lbs of thrust? Sold! Plenty of videos on Youtube of people mounting jet engines to their ultralights, it's been done.

poormansairforce

I think I just found a new engine for my Lazair, which, with an inverted tail, is well suited for jet conversion! Outstanding thrust/weight ratio in those JetCat engines, price is right...five grand for like 69 lbs of thrust? Sold! Plenty of videos on Youtube of people mounting jet engines to their ultralights, it's been done.
Which engine has 69 lb of thrust? I must be missing it somewhere....

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
And it happened again, this time 7 miles NW of LAX:

What's utterly baffling is that nobody has reported this thing at low altitude, during climb-out or descent. I mean, it's not exactly going to be quiet.

Either the pilot is operating from the mountains to the north-northeast, or he/she has a really immense piece of land in the hills.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Might have helicoptered or parachuted in from 10,000 and lighted the jets up and released the chute. Might have another chute for landing. Jetman was dropped from a helicopter at Airventure and used a chute to land.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Might have helicoptered or parachuted in from 10,000 and lighted the jets up and released the chute. Might have another chute for landing. Jetman was dropped from a helicopter at Airventure and used a chute to land.
I suppose that's possible, but it seems like an awful lot of work. IMHO, "rich man's toy" says "operating from a big estate in the hills" to me.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I thought we determined these were foam dummies wraped around a drone (post #16). It seems HIGHLY unlikely that these were live human jetpack things. They do not have the range to get in and out of LAX airspace without being spotted (or shot at by the gangstas in the hood below).

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
On the news, the China plane pilot didn't actually say "Jetpack" until prompted by the controller. Might be a communication issue. He said "shiny and fast"

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Jetpack? Naaah. My money is on Chicken Man, the most fantastic crime fighter the world has ever known. "He's everywhere, he's everywhere!"

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Rich man, or rich kid?
Does it matter? I don't mean that flippantly. I've lived in the LA Basin. There are some truly spectacular and large estates in the hills above the city. Conceivably, one might be able to operate a jetpack from one secretly if you were careful about your ingress and egress paths. What baffles is how someone could be that cognizant of their "opsec" at low levels, yet get within visual range of aircraft descending into LAX. It's not as if those are easy to miss. They come straight down the valley with the landing lights on.

Something doesn't add up. I'm not doubting the reports at all, just wondering how nobody seems to have seen this guy taking off and landing.

pictsidhe

Before the first report by pilots, two bad videos were posted on social media.
Isn't weird **** completely normal in LA?

Scheny

A guy flew across the English Channel with his jetpack so reasonable duration is possible. Was me, I'd definitely be wearing a 'chute. You'd attract lots less attention coming back down that way too.
The guy had to refuel in the middle and "splash landed" on the first try.

I definitely don't think it can be a real jetpack. My guess is also some rich kid who build an iron man styled drone out of thin depron sheets. Parts easy to get, altitude not a problem. I think whoever did this, was influenced by this video:

Hinckley Bill

P300-PRO Turbine Engine, 67 lbs Thrust, by JetCat 67lbs, next model up is 89 lbs. Uses a litre of fuel per minute at max RPM, weighs 6 lbs.
How about 'mainstream' use of jet engines on a Pitts biplane...AMT Lynx turbines
The specific fuel consumption is extremely good for an engine in this thrust class especially when looking at the small engine diameter of this engine. At S.T.P. and 100% throttle (1569N/352Lbf thrust) the Lynx engine uses only 3600 Gram/Min (127 oz/min) of fuel.

Noeson

This fellow had a jet powered Mitchell Wing back in 1996

More recently,

- glider with 250 lbs thrust jet engine

Bill-Higdon

Cool! I had no idea the Winged Warrior was still being broadcast.
This was back in the late 60's it was on the air at 12:00 every day on Armed Forces Viet Nam radio. They could say the ime or tell you the weather over the radio but you could set your watch/clock/time your attack from the radio schedule