• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wing/fuse intersections and BWB's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RPM314

Yes yes, I know there's a lot of debate in this area so I'll just stick to the one question:
We all know that wing/fuse intersections tend to be big drag producers, and that blended wing bodies are held up as the pinnacle of interference drag reduction. Now, increasing the wing chord at the intersection point increases the interference, but (properly made) wing fillets will reduce it.

So what about increasing the chord right near the root in a way that was sort of like a strake, but blended into the fuse like a fillet? Like having a blended wing/body but only in the inboard ~25% of the half span, for example. I'm not sure if the high amount of fairing would win out over the additional size of the lifting surface screwing the flow up near the fuse. Many of the rules of thumb I've learned about intersections from this forum conflicted when I tried to think about what this effect might be.

I ask because increasing the internal volume in that area would be convenient for landing gear and fuel stowage on certain designs, but I'm not sure if this is the lowest drag way to do it.

Back