What kind of paint color/design should I decide to do?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by CALL911, Jan 20, 2010.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 20, 2010 #1

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

Recently purchased a small bi-plane, and wondering when it comes time to paint it, what should I do?

At first I thought of the most attractive paintjobs I've seen, and most of them go back to WWII P-51's. But after photoshopping some of those paintjobs onto a bi-plane, I realized that it just doesn't look good (in my opinion at least).

So it brings me back to my original question; what paint scheme should I go with? Feel free to post up pictures!

2. Jan 20, 2010 #2

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

skeeter_ca

What type of bi-plane is it? Aerobatic look-a-like, antique, WWI. Knowing what type can help give ideas as to what might look good.

skeeter

3. Jan 20, 2010 #3

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

^ It's a Zipster. I like the black like in this picture of it, but don't care for the blue striping.

[​IMG]

4. Jan 20, 2010 #4

wally

wally

wally

Hi,
    Cool, you have a plane!

If you want to see little biplane paint schemes, go to Airliners.net | Airplanes - Aviation - Aircraft- Aircraft Photos & News and search around - lots and lots of airplane pics of every airplane you can think of.

I sometimes do a search for "pitts" because I the same problem with my plane. It is still all white. I can't decide on a color or scheme. Maybe I should just stencil "ghost Ride" on it and leave it that way.

You could also take some digital pics, upload them to a computer program like paint or photoshop and try different color schemes.

You could also go low-tech: take some regular pictures, trace the outline on a piece of white paper and try whatever you want with colored pencil or colored pens.

Wally

5. Jan 20, 2010 #5

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

Thanks for the ideas Wally.

6. Jan 20, 2010 #6

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

If you like the older military paint, check out the blue and yellow Stearman PT-17 or the olive drab and yellow Curtis P6E Hawk. Either would adapt well to the Zipster.

Bruce :)

PT-17.jpg airplane_pt17_02.jpg

P6E model.jpg P6E.JPG

Attached Files:

• P6E.bmp
      File size:
      112 KB
      Views:
  7. Jan 20, 2010 #7

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

So, far all I've come to conclusion on is that I think I'll keep it simple, no complex multitude of colors or designs.

As far as colors go, I like the idea of maybe a dark midnight/navy blue, and white.

Maybe keep the bottom of the wings and fuselage white and go with the dark blue everywhere else.

Just my preliminary thoughts...

8. Jan 20, 2010 #8

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Might look nice, but would it enhance visibility or act to camouflage the plane from above and below?

Red works well. Some might accuse me of being biased, but (looking at my avatar) I don't know where they would get that idea! :gig:

9. Jan 21, 2010 #9

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator

I've always been partial to the 1930's biplane standard of red fuselage, yellow wings (very visible, too). Sunburst paint (like on bmcj's avatar) are also nice.

Of course if you've really got some time on your hands...

[​IMG]

-Dana

"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.

10. Jan 21, 2010 #10

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

bmcj, I don't need camo, I just think it would look good. Unfortunatly my trial version of photoshop has expired, and "Paint" makes it look like I am in 3rd grade again when I go and try to change the color.

Dana, I like the patriotism! However thats not the look I am going for.

11. Jan 21, 2010 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I wasn't suggesting camo, I just meant that a dark top and white bottom might make the plane difficult to spot.

12. Jan 21, 2010 #12

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    More pics

And an excellent dutch paint job:
    [​IMG]

13. Jan 21, 2010 #13

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

Unintentionally it may be difficult to spot. Perhaps this dark blue and white idea spawned from thinking of a 97 Dodge Viper (blue with the white stripe). I always thought that it looked awesome, and also think it would look very sharp on the plane.

I am not 100% sure on this, and if I do decide to go with those two colors, I am still not sure if Navy blue with white on the bottom is the way I will go.

I thought about adding a little more flare (but still like the simple designs). Maybe make the rudder white as well, and white just under and around the cockpit.

Autoreplay, those shots are pretty cool. I remember there is some kind of "meet" where a lot of the fighters go once a year and they do a tiger paintjob just for the event, I believe that is where all the tiger paintings come from. I don't think I want to go that direction with mine though.

14. Jan 21, 2010 #14

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

This is my very sloppy very quick attempt of using "Paint" to throw some color on a Zipster pic.

[​IMG]

15. Jan 21, 2010 #15

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

We get the idea, but I would invest in a better spraygun when you get ready to do the real thing. :roll:

16. Jan 21, 2010 #16

Mac790

Mac790

Mac790

Spraygun? it looks more like a paint roller :gig:.

But seriously Call try this page for some ideas.http://www.taichiunlimiteddrawings.com/

Seb

17. Jan 21, 2010 #17

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

If I still had photoshop, I usually can do some killer stuff, but microsoft paint is terrible.

Seb, thanks for the link! I wish there were more different color shots of bi-planes on there like they have of the P-51's. P-51's (as mentioned previously) look great in some paint scemes, but then looking at a bi-plane in a similar paint sceme, it no longer looks good.

18. Jan 21, 2010 #18

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Kleine Brogel, Belgium is what you're looking for. Alternatively there's the "shark" painting.

As for your request, it might be interesting to go to airliners.net and select the "comparable pictures" or whatever it's called. It gives pictures, comparable to yours and it's a pretty good inspiration for paint jobs :)

19. Jan 22, 2010 #19

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Where are you located? Dark colors absorb a lot of sunlight and can make the inside of the airplane very hot in some places. Heat cooks the fabric, paint, upholstery, plastics, radios, hoses and almost everything else. Poly-Fiber warns against dark colors in places like Arizona; they've measured temps of close to 200 inside such aircraft.

Where I am (Canada) white isn't so smart. Snow on the ground much of the year, especially in the mountains, and there are airplanes that have never been found, or found only after the snow went. Unfortunately, white is "cool" both aesthetically and in the sun, and is required on many composite airframes to prevent delamination.

I have painted several aircraft, and I'll tell you that a fancy, complicated job adds a LOT of time to the process. Stripes or designs are a first-class pain. I've found it easiest to prime the plane first, then shoot the stripe color over the general area where we want the stripes, mask off the stripe, shoot the next color, and so on. If you go to put stripes on after the major color's on, you'll have to mask off the entire airplane instead of just the stripe itself.

Masking tape and paper cost money. Extra colors cost money, and you'll have a lot more expensive paint left over with two or three colors.

Dan

20. Jan 22, 2010 #20

CALL911

CALL911

CALL911

I'm located in Indiana (USA). Fair weather with all the seasons. Not really worried about getting too hot. The summer usually sees 75 F, but can every once in a while get to 100 F. I won't be flying it in the winter. I would be more concerned with the sun reflecting back at me with anything light colored on top.

I am not painting the aircraft. I am having someone else (a buisness) paint it for me. I do like the simpler type of paintjobs though.

This thread was more or less for ideas of what design, or paint color to go with.