What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rockiedog2

HBA Supporter
While gluing on the ply I can do the bottom and flip the H stab over and see the way the glue pushed out from rib edges and get a good idea of seating of the ply into the glue but unfortunately this inspection can not be done with top piece after bottom is mounted. Today I cut the first 2 pieces of 1 mm ply and I must say it is thin wood nearly cut able with scissors. In truth I'm rather confused on why the H stab is covered with ply because the elevator is built in the same method and has fabric only. I always let weight gain enter my mind when adding material per plans. I will do as Pops directed on doing the fabric but I still have a few butterfly's inside regarding the long term contact of ply to ribs.
Mr Wittman’s Tailwind is a good example of ply glued to ribs than covered with fabric no stitching. Lotsa planes with ply leading edges covered with fabric and no stitching. I never heard of stitching fabric glued over ply especially cause I was worried about the ply to rib glue joint. If I understand what it is you’re talking about.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Did a Vegas trip over the weekend and it looks like my fairing realignment gained a few knots. Running right at 199 KTAS now and the ball is only slightly out with the airplane loaded to max weight.. Adding the viscosity valve to override the vernatherm has also proven effective at dropping oil temps. Looks like it dropped about 15 degrees and now I'm too cold.

n45bm

Filler/shim of roll bar base is curing.
Almost finished installing primary power system wiring.
Panel is painted; awaiting labels and installation.
Starting to wire the fuel pumps so I can get that area closed out.
Got a couple of wire supports to install behind the panel so it can hold everything else up.
Tell me about your panel labels. I know not what type or where to get them. What's the process to get professional labels on an instrument panel? Thanks.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Did a Vegas trip over the weekend and it looks like my fairing realignment gained a few knots. Running right at 199 KTAS now and the ball is only slightly out with the airplane loaded to max weight.. Adding the viscosity valve to override the vernatherm has also proven effective at dropping oil temps. Looks like it dropped about 15 degrees and now I'm too cold.
To cold is easily fixed. :)

gtae07

Tell me about your panel labels. I know not what type or where to get them. What's the process to get professional labels on an instrument panel? Thanks.
I'm just doing what Paul Dye describes here: Tip: Getting Your Panel Labels Straight - VAF Forums

It might not be as pretty as silkscreening or fancy decals, but it's cheap and it works.

For a completely different approach, Dad "labeled" his toggle switches by painting them--boost pump is blue, strobe is white dots, nav is red/green, alternator has a yellow lightning bolt, etc. Not standard, but it works for us.

Ontarioflyer

After months of searching, finally found a guy that can convert Rotax 185's to cdi ignition. Dropped the engines off yesterday and started to strip the old clear "plastic" off the wings of my Lazair. Things are getting exciting. Also ordered 1.2 oz/yd Sig fabric to complete covering and ordered fabric cement from ACS. It's cool when you spend all this/that time reading/researching your project, you have a "vision" and then it starts to come together.

proppastie

Log Member
Sig fabric
looking at the Sig Koverall? they have a cement that brushed on and then was heat activated (I think that is what I read) ...it seems that Oratex has a cement you brushed on and was heat activated....and I was curious if they were the same..... you purchased from ACS what process are you going to finish with?

Ontarioflyer

looking at the Sig Koverall? they have a cement that brushed on and then was heat activated (I think that is what I read) ...it seems that Oratex has a cement you brushed on and was heat activated....and I was curious if they were the same..... you purchased from ACS what process are you going to finish with?
Not sure if they are the same? I'm going to finish temporarily with Minwax Polycrylic (2-3 coats) and fly. Don't really care what it looks like to start and if I find a tree or the ground at an unfortunate angle, all the work put into paint will make me cry. Can always make it look pretty after. Yes, I'm just starting to learn how to fly.

proppastie

Log Member
Minwax Polycrylic
not the paint...but which process....Polyfiber, Stewarts,.....I think there are others ? or maybe I misunderstood...you are just going to paint the raw fabric?.....
edit: I read that paint is a "water based polyurethane"....we have seen people post about only Latex paint on fabric.....where did you hear about using this paint?

Last edited:

TFF

The Sig fabric chemicals I think are the same as Certified Coatings sold by Aircraft Spruce as their “ house brand”. The glue is old nitrate style. Brodack model Dope is Randolph brand.

TFF

The Minwax water based floor varnish is a popular model airplane substitution. The only plane I own with it was built by a friend. He used it on 3/4 oz fiberglass it is covered with.

Doran Jaffas

Looking for the diameter and pitch being used on 0-200 powered Tailwinds or similar performing aircraft?

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Got help flipping the fuselage over so I can work on the hard to reach rivets. Then, another friend came by this evening and we bucked a couple dozen rivets on one side. Still doesn't look like much progress. But, its been a ton of work.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Rocky Mountain Wings Ridge Runner 2

Used my advanced precision machining capabilities (abrasive chop saw, hand file, belt sander) to make two 2" wheel spacers out of 4130 tube. Installed these spacers such that my new/used Matco wheels' offset would fit at the right location on my axles... to allow the brake pads to "float" on the pins during braking.

Used additional high precision machining capacity (smaller bench mount belt sander) to chamfer the ends of the Cotter Pins so they would get through the castle nut and axle holes to retain Matco wheels.

don january

Log Member
Spent the day getting access holes for hinges and mounts nuts and bolts cut into Horizontal Stab. will be sanding for a few hours then cover with fabric. A thought for all those builders out there. Keep in mind all the hardware you will need to reach once aircraft is finished. access hz bottom.jpgaccess hz top.jpg the hope to never have to re-visit those areas is the goal but you never know.