Quantcast

What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

malte

I finally have started preparing the fuselage for painting. The workshop is not set up completely, yet, but I want her flying this year.

Tomorrow we will get some of the aircraft parts out of the other hangar and a bit of our other tooling. By Sunday I want to parts to be primed and by Wednesday to be painted.

Attachments

BJC

HBA Supporter
Where I live, we have the second worst internet access service in the world, so I took my Garmin data cards to my daughter’s house in Peachtree City, GA, where the service is good. Just downloaded the navigation and terrain / obstacle databases. What a lousy, royal PITA, the Garmin web site is.

BTW, the operating system updates are not available to individuals. That is another reason that I have a love (using the equipment) hate (updating, getting answers, dealing with) relationship with Garmin.

BJC

pwood66889

Another work session today. While the crew cleaned the exterior, I noodled the trim system. I have a plate for such, but it is the wrong size. So I'll get two decals - "NOSE UP" and "NOSE DOWN" with appropriate arrows.

N804RV

Finished match-drilling all fuselage "canoe" assembly. Its now back in pieces for counter-sinking, dimpling, de-burring and priming. Good news is I'm really good at machine countersinking now...

Before:

After:

gtae07

Why is your drill press falling apart?

I realized I needed to finish up a few details in the forward upper fuselage before I can finish and insulate the firewall. Spent today making and fitting the rest of those little brackets so I can prep, paint, and install them.

D_limiter

Lifetime Supporter
Did you find it? Just the plastic? Or more expensive?
Just the plastic, fortunately. The owner of the plane just laughed and said "not the first time that's happened." But it's off to get some Plexiglas....

pwood66889

Met today and discussed motor assembly. We have a deformed connecting rod! Also talked about the starter (bushing in flange that attaches to crank case very loose), alternator (busted fan blades may be trouble) and interior painting. Vacuumed paint chips out of the fuselage.

malte

Primed the repaired surfaces with MIPA 2k EP primer. Since the workshop is a bit too dirty at the moment and I haven't everything in, yet, I decided to roll it on. Over the weekend I will sand it smooth and then apply MIPA 2k PU top coat.

Attachments

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Started easing into auto gas testing on the Rocket. Loaded up a mix of 60% unleaded regular in one tank and did a LoP cruise test followed by RoP and finally a "hot" takeoff and pattern. No discernable difference in performance. Tomorrow will explore an 80% mix, and ultimately 100% unleaded regular. Much testing to go, but so far the adjustable ignition timing and EFI are meeting my performance objectives.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It's whatever garbage "California blend" the corner gas station is selling this week. There is no doubt alcohol in it, but the chemical composition is mandated by season and in some cases by county. I can't remember the last time I saw a gas pump labeled "E10" in California... We really don't have a choice anyway. There are simply three grades of California junk, and it seems my engine will eat the worst of it.

Next time I'm at the pump I'll try read all the MSDS labels and see what it says about alcohol content.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Aside from a trained ear and a full engine monitor, no. They don't work very well on air cooled engines anyway.

Just got back from the "80+% car gas test" and it behaved fine. Cold TO and climb to 9500, LOP and ROP egt comparison, and a heat soak TO. No discernable difference except a 20 degree rise in cruise EGT on the car gas.

Tiger Tim

Toobuilder, if the Mogas works as intended are you going to get your own bulk tank? If you do you may be able to get the road tax on the gas refunded, at least that’s what guys up my way have done.