Quantcast

What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc W

Worked on installing my Force One prop hub back on the VW. Got it cleaned up and seals installed. I torqued the prop hub bolt to spec and the holes in the bolt head and the prop hub for the cotter pin didn't line up. Great Plains says to thin the washer under the bolt head to index the holes. I took measurements, came home and set it up on the mill to thin the washer by .007".

The seals are in an odd setup. There are two. The inner seal is a wheel bearing seal that was used in a 1974 IH Travelall. The outer seal was used as a timing cover seal in late 60's Cadillacs. Needless to say, you don't just head down to Napa to buy those off the shelf.

cblink.007

Someone else tried to piece something together from his work, hope yours turns out better.🙂
I followed Johnny Cash's advice; it's how I scored 350 yards of 22 oz triax and 100 yds of biax before I left the military!!*

*=one of our contractor I-level maintenance hangars was being cleared out, the rolls were there, brand new in the wrapping, complete with labels from VectorPly, and were about to be thrown in a dumpster, so I claimed them!

Mcmark

Made it to the airport today and re-rigged the mixture lever.
I picked up a mechanical oil pressure gauge to compare to the unit in the airplane. Plumbed it and zip tied the gauge in the cockpit.
Pulled it outside and secured it with a tie down and chocks, hooked up the battery charger and spun it. It fired and ran. I ran it for 3-4 minutes. OP was 60psi at idle. TBI is not happy and the research I’ve done indicates they need a good cleaning prior to use.
Pulled it off and brought it home to clean up and richen the metering rod at WFO as it seems they are all a bit lean.
Took a vid but it’s to large even at 30 sec.
Pretty good day!
Can progress with final fit and finish of fwf.
Still much to do, but a step closer.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Fabricated a cuff to smooth the flow from the cowling into the exhaust tunnel. Since the bottom of the fuselage is not flat, the piece has compound curves. The firewall structural bulkhead will be covered with 1/2” fiberfrax and a SS sheet. The upper lip will attach to the SS. The lower lip is in final position. It will screw to tabs that will be installed when the firewall goes in.

6516B3B1-7AA4-46E3-9B99-7EE516B3304D.jpeg5F6B2455-2589-4625-BE82-7296A1D085E3.jpeg

BJC

cblink.007

Thanks, gents. All my friends have been sending me old clips of Sam Kinison regarding his thoughts on marriage while I've been toiling away in the workshop 🤣 🤣 🤣

@Mcmark , we are moving close to your neck of the woods soon; will be working at KNHK, but will base the project at K2W6!