Quantcast

Users on line dropped

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
Actually if you reread the referenced post and think about exactly what was said, you will see that it's a perfect example of HBA's problem. Name calling, elitism, egotism,self agrandisement, and ostricism of anyone who has their own way of looking at things. There is also a thinly veiled suggestion that anyone who wants to be a team player (his team) should also take steps to exclude anyone dubbed a "troll" from participating by ignoring them and not responding. Personally, I have no one on my ignore list. Adding 20 new additions to someone's personal ignore list on HBA in just one year has to make some kind of statement about a person. Guess this post won't get read either .
I agree with you... I like reading experience threads like pops posts and many others... If I'm not interested in something I just don't read it, I don't whine about it... we all love airplanes in here, that's our foundation. I would never do the ignore thing, I was brought up not to be rude.

choppergirl

Banned
I think there's only 20-30 regulars here. That's it, no more. A good number of them are hard asses. People who live in a shop or grew up in a hanger and live and breathe aerodynamic math and engineering and to be right, all the time, every time about aviation anything, and if you're not cut of the same cloth, you get vitriol or disdain. I myself am not cut of that cloth; I simply am poor and want to fly. But the force is strong with me, I was born to fly. Words of science can't speak to the heart.

Some of these regulars have been sucked into this honey pot of a forum and can never leave. I will call them the "unreturned". They'll be stuck here by this water cooler forever. The problem for them is, you will never get a plane built, by standing by the water cooler arguing about airplane stuff. You don't need this place to build a plane; in fact, it may be rather detrimental and a diversion. I had an epiphany about it the other day; I've built or repaired hundreds of things, like computers, or small appliances. Never once have I gone to a forum for answers, or posted pictures, or talked about it. If I need an answer, I google it, and continue working. There is no dialog. So why am I here. I don't know. You really don't need this place to build a plane.

It's nice I guess to visit once in a while, just to shoot the **** and talk to other airplane people, but the hardasses who want an extremely narrow focus for this place because they don't want to read other stuff, have made even me and Little Scrapper stomp off at various times even though both of us have thick skin. Scrapper comes back because he's a metal shop alcolyte. I come back because I spent five years fighting with boys inside a game server, I punch boys back in the face. :) Not everyone is an airplane genius. Some of us are just people off the street who walked into the hanger and want to play, too. I'm working at a lower level than you.

I also know, I'm not going about building a plane, the way people inside the commercial aviation industry do, in a decked out NASA thousand dollar toolbox shop with concrete buffed floors and florescent lighting... I literally am working under my favorite shade tree in the dirt, so my methods are going to be more grassroots, more homespun, more unconventional, and just more... funky rough and tumble and maybe stupid. I love it for the adventure it's taken me on and the roads I've ended up going down, even if I'm not there yet. So yeah, if I'm not going about building a flying machine the same way you are going about building a flying machine, oh well. Watch me fly in the end, ****** ****** :)

Ignore list is just another form of censorship, I would never use it.

I don't hate anybody here, and those that hate me, I don't consider them my enemies. I have no interest in making a list or keeping a scorecard of slights and jabs. I know how hard it is to build an airplane. I rather feel some measure of compassion for anyone undertaking it, succeed or fail, finished or just starting, because it is... a brutal, long, hard road...

My plane hauling trailer is in my front yard, I work sitting on the steps of my unenclosed front porch, my wings are in the barn, and my fuselage is in my living room.. literally inside my home where I build on it, not in a shop. Home built airplanes, I thought I was in the right place...

I say anyone building an airplane not inside their home but inside a shop on their property is NOT topical and off topic and should have their posts deleted. How narrow and lasar hardass focused is that? :)

Mostly I think people just come here to put their 2 cents in and beam and feel proud about their wonderful post they just made, like a little ego trip, and hardly ever read anything anybody else says... that pigeonholes me pretty much. I don't know a **** thing about building airplanes, but I can pretend on the internet I do.

Last edited:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
4507 users at one time seems unlikely-
"Currently Active users:
There are currently 61 users online. 16 members and 45 guests
Most users ever online was 4,507, April 8th, 2016 at 02:18 PM."

I just ignore the comments that only experts can build or design. There is no FAA license for designers.
A long time ago a designer came here and got fed up. An expert said he couldn't do this or that. But he had already designed, built and flew a biplane. (Daisy Mae)

steveair2

Log Member
For me, it was meeting a prominent member of this forum at Airventure 2016. A member that I highly respected and looked up to. He treated me like a two hundred pound dog turd. This forum's just not the same for me anymore.
The bad part is that he is also an Airventure volunteer.

Last edited:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
...we all love airplanes in here, that's our foundation. I would never do the ignore thing, I was brought up not to be rude.
The "ignore thing" is a mechanism to prevent public argument and never ending debate with members who will not, and have no intention of changing their mind. Further, these members continue to drag out the same argument just so they can have their moment in the sun. This is the definition of a troll, and this forum has several. Ignoring trolls is not rude, just the opposite in fact.

Last edited:

autoreply

For me, it was meeting a prominent member of this forum at Airventure 2016. A member that I highly respected and looked up to. He treated me like a two hundred pound dog turd. This forum's just not the same for me anymore.
The bad part is that he is also an Airventure volunteer.
I'm sorry to hear that.

The HBA'ers I've met up with in real life were a bunch of very pleasent folks, every single one of them. Don't let one bad experience take away too much ;)

There are regular calls for stricter moderating, usually countered by people that find the current moderating unbearably tight. Unlike for example VAN's airforce, it is virtually impossible to strictly moderate on topic since our range of topics is so wide.

Naturally, those with experience that we can learn from the most, whether it's engineering, building, flying or another skill are also the busiest. Logically, a disproportionally large portion of the content is posted by those least busy and the total amount of posts by those we can learn from the most is limited. Unless this is recognized, it will always look like we're worse off.

Bottomline: learn how to learn. Listening to and reading from the right people is essential. Those are rarely the ones that post (or talk) the most.

Winginit

A truly intelligent person with honest intentions knows when they are just trying to be objective and helpful and even humble, and when they are not.

rbrochey

HBA Supporter
The only button I know how to use in here is the 'like' button which I punch often... perhaps my meds but I scarcely get upset about anything anymore, mostly life seems a little ridiculous and I only choose not to be around people who are anal enough to take themselves and life too seriously. I don't really know a what a troll is, except in Three Billy Goats Gruff... as to the decline in here it has more to do with lack of interest by as many young people, the older people who still know how to use a screwdriver are dying off, the economy continues to exclude more and more people by their disappearing income equality, spruce is getting more scarce, welders are in short supply and charge far too much for an average builder, litigation continues to drive the prices of about everything fun out of reach. Those are a few. But in here there are those keeping the dream of building alive, supporting those struggling to learn a new skill. It has nothing to do with trolls and ignore button idiocy, it's the new world we live in. Unless you have invented a time machine to bring back the 1950's, there should be more advice and understanding to builders like Choppergirl, help her earn her wings instead of trying to lecture her on her not being in sinc to a long lost work ethic. But not just her... everyone who is reaching for a dream. Collectively we represent what is left of a dying past time.. the list of GA bankruptcies over the past twenty years would fill a book... so the last thing we should do is ignore each other. I'll get off my soapbox...

I propose we have an annual HBA gathering... camping, fly in, site seeing, a diverse menu and since I am least part Irish... I make a mean corn beef and cabbage... I would help with this and BTW NO one is ignored or not invited. Good night and "Thank you Mrs Calabash where ever you are.... "

jimmy.jpg

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The only button I know how to use in here is the 'like' button which I punch often... perhaps my meds but I scarcely get upset about anything anymore, mostly life seems a little ridiculous and I only choose not to be around people who are anal enough to take themselves and life too seriously. I don't really know a what a troll is, except in Three Billy Goats Gruff... as to the decline in here it has more to do with lack of interest by as many young people, the older people who still know how to use a screwdriver are dying off, the economy continues to exclude more and more people by their disappearing income equality, spruce is getting more scarce, welders are in short supply and charge far too much for an average builder, litigation continues to drive the prices of about everything fun out of reach. Those are a few. But in here there are those keeping the dream of building alive, supporting those struggling to learn a new skill. It has nothing to do with trolls and ignore button idiocy, it's the new world we live in. Unless you have invented a time machine to bring back the 1950's, there should be more advice and understanding to builders like Choppergirl, help her earn her wings instead of trying to lecture her on her not being in sinc to a long lost work ethic. But not just her... everyone who is reaching for a dream. Collectively we represent what is left of a dying past time.. the list of GA bankruptcies over the past twenty years would fill a book... so the last thing we should do is ignore each other. I'll get off my soapbox...

I propose we have an annual HBA gathering... camping, fly in, site seeing, a diverse menu and since I am least part Irish... I make a mean corn beef and cabbage... I would help with this and BTW NO one is ignored or not invited. Good night and "Thank you Mrs Calabash where ever you are.... "

View attachment 65963
One of the best post on this site. Love it.

CG-- Don't quit dreaming. You can do anything you dream about. The only one that can stop you is you. You are very smart and have the ability to do anything you want.
Being poor is just a hindrance to be overcome. I'm NA, but my family was very, very wealthy until I was 6 years old. Then thanks to the IRS, we would have been homeless if it wasn't for a hundred acres of land that my grandfather owned out on a mountain ridge in the middle of nowhere. I also dreamed and studied and worked 12-16 hrs a day to get started in life. It takes hard work to make your dreams come true, and I know IF you want your dreams bad enough, it will happen. Don't give up.
I'm cheering for you.

MikePousson

There are some folks not posting as much as usual. But I dont consider that unusual. People come and go. Some just lurk around reading. There’s still enough activity to draw me here a few times a day. As far as meeting people face to face, things are not always as they seem.

BJC

HBA Supporter
There are some folks not posting as much as usual. But I dont consider that unusual. People come and go. Some just lurk around reading. There’s still enough activity to draw me here a few times a day. As far as meeting people face to face, things are not always as they seem.
I, for one, go through posting cycles, perhaps because the topics that interest me seem to come in cycles.

I really enjoy meeting posters face-to-face, for several reasons, but one is that once someone is not totally "internet anonymous" it is easier not to get snippy in a reply to them.

BJC

BJC

HBA Supporter
I think there's only 20-30 regulars here. That's it, no more. A good number of them are hard asses. People who live in a shop or grew up in a hanger and live and breathe aerodynamic math and engineering and to be right, all the time, every time about aviation anything, and if you're not cut of the same cloth, you get vitriol or disdain. I myself am not cut of that cloth; I simply am poor and want to fly. But the force is strong with me, I was born to fly. Words of science can't speak to the heart.
There is a ton of experience here, and some are willing to share. I thank them, because it is easier to read and chuckle or read and shake one's head than it is to respond. The challenge is to separate the wheat from the chafe, or, as one lad said to his brother, "with all this bull s**t, there has to be a pony in here somewhere."

Some of these regulars have been sucked into this honey pot of a forum and can never leave. I will call them the "unreturned". They'll be stuck here by this water cooler forever. The problem for them is, you will never get a plane built, by standing by the water cooler arguing about airplane stuff. You don't need this place to build a plane; in fact, it may be rather detrimental and a diversion. I had an epiphany about it the other day; I've built or repaired hundreds of things, like computers, or small appliances. Never once have I gone to a forum for answers, or posted pictures, or talked about it. If I need an answer, I google it, and continue working. There is no dialog. So why am I here. I don't know. You really don't need this place to build a plane.
This is not a place that is needed to desigh, build or fly a homebuilt airplane. It is a place to gather and share information, get sanity checks on decisions, share lessons learned, encourage and cajole people with similar interests. It can, for some, be motivational.
It's nice I guess to visit once in a while, just to shoot the **** and talk to other airplane people, but the hardasses who want an extremely narrow focus for this place because they don't want to read other stuff, have made even me and Little Scrapper stomp off at various times even though both of us have thick skin. Scrapper comes back because he's a metal shop alcolyte. I come back because I spent five years fighting with boys inside a game server, I punch boys back in the face. :) Not everyone is an airplane genius. Some of us are just people off the street who walked into the hanger and want to play, too. I'm working at a lower level than you.
Each person's skill set is unique. Learn to benefit from some, and to ignore others.
I also know, I'm not going about building a plane, the way people inside the commercial aviation industry do, in a decked out NASA thousand dollar toolbox shop with concrete buffed floors and florescent lighting... I literally am working under my favorite shade tree in the dirt, so my methods are going to be more grassroots, more homespun, more unconventional, and just more... funky rough and tumble and maybe stupid. I love it for the adventure it's taken me on and the roads I've ended up going down, even if I'm not there yet. So yeah, if I'm not going about building a flying machine the same way you are going about building a flying machine, oh well. Watch me fly in the end, ****** ****** :)
You should take a look at the beautiful, quality workmanship that comes out of Jim Kimball's http://www.jimkimballenterprises.com shop, then visit his shop.

Ignore list is just another form of censorship, I would never use it.
Choosing to ignore repeated, inane arguements is not censorship.

I don't hate anybody here, and those that hate me, I don't consider them my enemies. I have no interest in making a list or keeping a scorecard of slights and jabs. I know how hard it is to build an airplane. I rather feel some measure of compassion for anyone undertaking it, succeed or fail, finished or just starting, because it is... a brutal, long, hard road...
Hate? Really?

My plane hauling trailer is in my front yard, I work sitting on the steps of my unenclosed front porch, my wings are in the barn, and my fuselage is in my living room.. literally inside my home where I build on it, not in a shop. Home built airplanes, I thought I was in the right place...
You might enjoy researching the Taylor Monoplane prototype build.
I say anyone building an airplane not inside their home but inside a shop on their property is NOT topical and off topic and should have their posts deleted. How narrow and lasar hardass focused is that? :)
"Shirley, you jest." Thought that you were against censorship.

Mostly I think people just come here to put their 2 cents in and beam and feel proud about their wonderful post they just made, like a little ego trip, and hardly ever read anything anybody else says... that pigeonholes me pretty much. I don't know a **** thing about building airplanes, but I can pretend on the internet I do.
That is sad.

Like most things in life, people get in proportion to their giving.

BJC

Winginit

=choppergirl;403781]I think there's only 20-30 regulars here. That's it, no more. A good number of them are hard asses. People who live in a shop or grew up in a hanger and live and breathe aerodynamic math and engineering and to be right, all the time, every time about aviation anything, and if you're not cut of the same cloth, you get vitriol or disdain. I myself am not cut of that cloth; I simply am poor and want to fly. But the force is strong with me, I was born to fly. Words of science can't speak to the heart.
Chop, there is a core within HBA who consider themselves to be the elite on the site. They assume that it is their responsibility to protect the whole aviaton community from anything and anybody they feel is wrong about anything and eveything. They refuse to embrace the concept of everyone having the right and opportunity to express themselves. They fail to grasp the concept that there are monitors who will step in when something truly wrong has been purported on site...and it is not their perview to determine who is right...or wrong, not their perview to try to censor anyone, and most certainly not their perview to decide who gets to post.

Grasping those concepts is of no interest to them. Anyone familiar with my posts knows that I virtually always substantiate them with data. This often takes quite a bit of time and effort. Rather than appreciating the effort, they criticize the length of the post. It certainly takes a lot more time to write it and document it than it takes anyone to read it. They almost never furnish any documentaion to refute what was posted and instead concentrate on discrediting the poster with a few glib comments and personal insults. The intent is to drive the person from the site. Thats how censorship works, and it why many have left the site.

The elite need to admit that there are viewpoints that differ from theirs, and its not their right or responsibility to determine when anything or anyone is right or wrong. The problem is that they often cannot mount a substantive way to objectively show that "only" their viewpoint is correct. I take the time to state what I believe and why I believe it. I have posted many documents, photos, and videos over time that have shown my points of view. Its never "just" my opinion that gets posted. Yet the elite continue attempts to discredit the poster rather than the post. The people who consider themselves the guardians of the aviation universe need to realize thats not their job even if they self-annointed themselves to do so. They are individual members just like you and I, and they should quite simply spend their time explaining....and then letting people decide what they think is logical.

But the force is strong with me, I was born to fly. Words of science can't speak to the heart.
Don't ever give up your dream or let anyone dissuade you. Life often takes a meandering illogical path before one realizes their dream. Hang in there girl and always say what you think. Don't ever let the bullies win.

Give up.jpg

choppergirl

Banned
"Shirley, you jest." Thought that you were against censorship.
[BJC
Yes, lol, that was a jest; in internet parlance a smiley face at the end denotes sarchasm or a joke to the whole paragraph before it, should a person not be entirely clear about it from the context content. Something my generation grew up with. Adding a smiley face to the end of the paragraph denotes the whole preceding paragraph or sentence as a tongue in cheek comment or humor. Kind of like adding "not" inside a sentence, changes the whole meaning of the sentence to the opposite.

I don't think anybody has to actually build their airplane inside their home to be a home built airplane and be topical. I was jesting that if you're not building your airplane in your home, is it really a home built airplane? However, like all sharp courtroom jesting in front of the king, there is subterranean component to my joke, which is this: if this is a forum for amateur homebuilders, and a person has already become a super expert at building airplanes and aerodynamics from 20 years of experience building airplanes in their backyard shop or elsewhere, shouldn't they be a little more tolerant of the neophyte maybe a little still wet behind the ears, because this is also forum for grass root amateurs just starting who are bootstrapping a plane out of their own back yard too. I underline the word too. You know, people like maybe these experts were, 20 years ago, when they first started off. Not everyone starts out as a genius. It's a very long mountain you have to climb. Suffer the fools like me a bit, maybe they'll look up to you as the master of your trade, and seek out advice when they post an inevitable technical question later on, then you can pounce on it and display your brilliance.

I will jest again, and ask this question: Should these experts really even be here at all? Those that call this place their's and how awesome it was in the good old hardcore days, when it was only experts, and they didn't have to suffer the fools? Isn't there a job at NASA where these experts should of moved on to long ago, instead of hanging out in a little forum dicking around about building amateur airplane stuff in a forum for amateurs working in their garage? :) <-- Note smile face denoting a jest.

"Amateur" is not a derisive word. It is derived from "Amo", which is Latin, "to love". Amateurs do it for the love of it. Amateurs bring lots of fresh enthusiasm in, and lots of new crazy ideas outside of the box. They are fresh blood and fresh enthusiasm, and that unknowlegable enthusiasm (which you may consider dangerous or maverick or **** foolish) is what they bring to the table. But it's that lifeblood that got aviation going WAYYY before the technical know how was achieved. That enthusiasm is the "fuel" that drives people wanting to fly and created aviation. Aviation wouldn't exist without that fuel from amateurs, and it will die without it. "Experts" bring wisdom and elite technical skills. Technical knowledge is the "wings". Can't we all get along? Don't run off amateurs.... it may be while your numbers are tanking.

Amateurs are more willing to try some new crazy things... because they're still exploring, and not inside the box yet of only way way to do things, the way we've always done things...

c385169dc7cc50320b4d649a5e28fed5.jpg

~

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I catch absolute hell on occassion from my family and friends for wanting to fly even when I'm already in this deep. Do you guys catch hell from your families for being the oddball out to get themselves killed?

I got double barrels today, and it goes something like this: "I don't think you know what you are doing; you're going about this all the wrong way; you're going to get yourself killed; that piece of trash you brought home ain't never going to fly; there's a lot you don't know about flying; you really need X amount of dual instruction; I don't like the looks of those gas tanks right behind the seat; this other piece of junk you are bringing home, are there going to be things wrong with it you don't know about; you need to repack those trailer bearings before you take it anywhere; etc..."

And whenever GA pilots find out online about my plan to fly, it's like I instantly get a new parent in addition to the 20 other parents around here who right off the bat admonish me to get some dual instruction. It always comes from the GA pilots and it's how I spot them, because that is darn good advice to tell someone learning to fly a GA plane. I've been in a GA plane when it lands and rumbled down the runway... holy hell no, I would not want to learn to fly that on my own; yes, if that's what you're going to fly in, a plane that weighs several thousand pounds, get some dual instruction.

But I'm not doing that. I'm flying ultralight airplanes. Yes they are still airplanes, yes they will still get you killed, yes to all the other things, except no, I do think it is unachievable to teach yourself to fly in one in baby steps because they are so much slower and less weight with a lot more visibility to see around you and in a few things, more forgiving, in others, not so much so. You learn the gotchas and tred gingerly but it is totally doable. Thousands of others have learned to fly with no dual instruction at all.

And from my point of view, it looks a bit hypocritical; you just met me, do you really care if I live or die? Would you even stop to help if I was on the side of the road changing a tire, or panhandling and needed money for food? I doubt it. I drive motorcycles everyday through traffic; do you care if that would get me killed? Are you telling me this because you think I might besmear your hobby, when really, GA pilots with dual instruction plow into things all the time and the hobby goes on. If I face plant and kill myself, aviation won't even burp.

~

When I come to an airplane forum such as this it is to find some respite and a safe haven with other birds of a feather. I want to get away from those people that tell me to "get dual instruction" or "your piece of crap will never fly" or "you don't know nothing about aviation or flying". I don't need to hear more of that. I'm a bird of the feather. I'm here to take something out onto the runway one day, and run this ****, and bounce around and have some fun! Maybe I just practice ground handling a lot, maybe I veer off the side a little bit, maybe I fly a little kooky at first, mostly I just float a ways cattycorner and land again, and maybe I bend some tubes or break a leg. Who cares? It's on me. My airport is dead 99% of the year, I'm not in anybody's way, and if I am, I'll just get out of their way.

In my own case, I look at at my Volmer, and I don't see any technical reason in the world why what I got so far won't fly. The Woodhopper is a write off, I bought it just for the engines and a bonus was I could see how a wood constructed wing looked in person. There are some problems and structural members on the Poorboy that need to be fix, but nothing that can't be unriveted and replaced. They are planes nobody else wants, which is how I come into them.

~

If I'm technically wrong about something, explain why; I'll consider your opinion, does it have merit, does it agree with my common sense, and if so, incorporate it into my own knowledge base. If I'm going about something a stupid way, then I may just be feeling my way through the dark at that point to get to where I'm going. I may keep going my kludgy way even after your brilliant advice, because there are other considerations, that I am privy to that affect my build situation, that I did not happen to write out.

~

I don''t know if any of my thoughts helps this topic... just some thoughts on things I myself encounter as for hostility in this hobby.

People who are leaving around here will sometimes send me a final message and tell me goodbye; they aren't coming back. Usually I'm borderline on the fence myself, and so I tell them yeah, me too, I know what you mean...

If people are mean or snotty here, people leave... it's just basic math.

I can be mean and snotty myself, and I really deride stupidity myself, I hate stupidity and try and distance myself from it, but I'm trying to catch myself more at being so derisive of it. I use to love violence, maybe I still do; I use it to defend my freedom against an ocean of people around me with ulterior motives. And I will still defer to it for that. I direct violence towards stupidity myself, because reality is not kind to the stupid, so it's a survival mechanism.

But I see so much violence in the world, and I wonder, maybe take a break from it world, we all be nice to each other some. I tell myself to try and see stupidity not as an absolute black and white, but a grey scale... like a less perfect knowledge on a gradient of knowledge, and therefore to be more tolerant of those who are simply lower than myself on the grey gradient scale of knowledge working their way up. Look for the merit or logic that was right inside a stupid action or thought, but also identify, what turned out to be not quite right that undermined the whole thing, and explain it to them, rather than branding what just came out of their mouth as complete abject stupidity. The baby doesn't have to go out with the bath water in every imperfect knowledge.

That though implies still caring about the world though. I may be beyond that... so jaded...

~

Repack my bearings with grease? Seriously? They are fine, I already took care of them with my own method.

I was going to paint my trailer in primer today; I don't even feel like working on my trailer now... :-/ F it. Know what I mean?

[video=youtube;lsEt4KkpC_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsEt4KkpC_A[/video]

Some of my relatives are probably going to die from cancer soon..my fighter pilot grandfather went a few months ago so I already lost that one, he didn't get to see me fly; I thought it'd be super cool if they could see me fly before they die and give me a few pointers and just have fun with it with me. But when they say **** to me like this, you know, its hard enough to hold a drill against a stupid rusty boat trailer when you're fighting back the tears. I don't cry easily, but... ****.

I'm thinking... You can be mean and throw vitriol at me and then die... or we can get this thing running... and you can see me fly before you die... which is it going to be? Because I'm going to fly... one way or the other... when you're alive, or after you're dead. It's not like you can stop me after you're dead. Like, make a choice, which is it going to be. Vitriol, or cheering from happiness. I know which one makes my heart sing for joy...

No prospects for a job in this country, and the entrepreneurial thing didn't work out, so really flying is all I have left that I'm living for by this point... take that away from me, and it's game over, and that's all she wrote...

Last edited by a moderator:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
If you are interested, there might be a forum with a guy that taught himself to fly in a ultralight at Airventure 2018.

TFF

First I think most care or you would never get a reply. Second, without being able to reach through the computer and hold a screwdriver, all we can do is advice. Third, you have seeked out some EAA types but you did not cultivate relationships to get some physical help. No one is going to come to your house and start working on your plane after one hello After getting accepted, you bring the rudder in to see what happens with the group. I'm sure if you had some glue and fabric, scissors and an iron, you would come out with it covered. It takes work with people as much as machines. If you have to do it on your own, how bad can you mess it up? You can follow the instructions and get through it; its not about perfection, just getting it done. Once you have done it a bunch you will work towards perfect naturally. As for people who think it's crazy, prove them you are by doing it.

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Well, everyone else put in theit 2 cents so here goes....
I for one apreciated the diverse nature of the members here. I tend to skip over the portions of threads that are rude or bickering and focus on the science and projects and experience of others. I hope that most folks can also take the good with the bad. Overall this is a kick a** forum. I also want to point out that some of the most experienced posters who are very busy, are taking time to share their knowledge here free of charge. Also, the mods are helping to keep the forum in line free of charge. The forum itself is free of charge. Give these folks a little grace, lest they get tired of complaints.

As to self proclaimed experts, I think we all know that no one knows every answer to everything. That's the way it is. That does not mean that their knowledge is invalid. Also, if you ask a question here and don't like the answer, so what? This forum is a great resource, not a police entity. Lets all help keep HBA great by how WE CONDUCT OURSELVES, rather than pointing fingers at others as the "problem with HBA"

Rant over.....

ramjetwiebe

Vancouver CANADA (Keeping shop in Alberta)
I have found forums a great place to meet people.

But I must confess that almost all subsequent communication is conducted off line. (by email, etc. and hopefully in person.)

I just found out about Skypup ultralight. Now there's a craft that's got me tempted for my next project.

Last edited: