• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ultralight Wearable Wing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uriah

Hello,

I am designing a "Wearable Wing", yes that's right like JetMan! The concept was inspired by Yves Rossy, Jetman » VIDEOS , Jetman Yves Rossy flies with the Breitling Jet Team over the Grand Canyon - YouTube , but I'm not sure if you could classify that as an airplane or not because he cannot takeoff or land and there are no control surfaces. Regardless, that video of him flying with the jets is impressive and it is amazing what he has been able to achieve. I've included the specs for his jet powered wing at the bottom.

I want to do something similar, but with some major differences. If anyone has any feedback, insights or suggestions on aerodynamics and design problems before I proceed any further with design phase I would really appreciate it! :nervous:

Conceptual Design: I want to get more lift by increasing the wing span and reducing the overall weight using an advanced composite structure with an ultralight design. While the JetMan's average speed is over 125 mph with a swept wing, I would like to go for more of a glider/ ultralight design optimized for high lift, low weight and lower speeds, maybe 40-80 mph. The JetMan has no control surfaces to speak of, using his body, head and legs to maneuver like you would skydiving. At lower speeds this may not be effective at all so I would need to be able to control pitch, roll and yaw, and I don't foresee that being a problem. To achieve level flight and gain altitude lift and propulsion are required. The only problem I have with using a propeller is that is could be very dangerous close to the body and there isn't a good place to locate it as the human is the fuselage. Jet turbines are more suitable but they are also very expensive.

Yves Rossy thinks he will someday be able to take off and land, but currently he jumps out of an aircraft from high altitude and lands with a parachute, this wouldn't be much different, except it may be possible to take off from level ground with a lightweight wing and greater lift area. The objective of this project will be launching off a mountain or cliff and landing with a parachute. I will also abandon the idea of a secondary parachute to save the wing in the event I would have to detach and pull my chute in an emergency. My reasoning is that the lighter the take-off weight the better, and lower the stall speed will be, and I would rather take my chances in destroying the wing rather than building it bigger or increasing the thrust to compensate for the additional payload.

Sincerely,
Uriah

JetMan specs:

· Type: Jet-propelled wing
· Manufacturer: Homemade by "FusionMan" Yves Rossy
· Propulsion system: 4 Jet-Cat P200 engines of 48.5 lb (22 kg) thrust each
· Thrust: 88 kg (194 lbs)
· Top average speed: 124 mph (200 km/h)
· Top ascent speed: 112 mph (180 km/h)
· Top descent speed: 186 mph (300 km/h)
· Vehicle weight (w/fuel and smoke): 121 lbs (55 kg)
· Vehicle weight (dry): 66 lbs (30 kg)
· Vehicle span: 8.2 ft (2.5 m)
· Fuel(s): Mix of kerosene and 5% of turbine oil for lubrication
· Flight time: 10 minutes
· Parachute type: Parachutes de France "Legend R"
· Canopy type: PD Spectra 230
· Harness type: Cut-away system with engine shut-down and automatic opening of a rescue parachute for the wing

Back