Quantcast

Ultralight rules in Ecuador

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Starman

I'm now living in Ecuador and would like to know what kinds of laws they have here concerning building and flying ultralight aircraft. If anyone knows please enlighten me.

PTAirco

It seems general aviation, as opposed to ultralights, is virtually non-existent in Ecuador. It's probably a case of it being too small to matter to anyone until somebody in authority takes notice and promptly bans it. Then follows a long period of negotiations, sometimes for years, before a limited amount of freedom to fly is returned. This has been the pattern in many other countries, I'd be interested to know about the situation in Ecuador.

Starman

I'll keep the forum posted if I get around to doing anything about it. There is a lot of bamboo and cane here on the farm where I'm living, and twine is cheap =)

PTAirco, what I found out so far is that there is a flying club/school in Guayaquil, the biggest city in Ecuador, on the coast. They have both light planes and ultralights, and I've seen ultralights listed for sale in this country. Also, there are some tour operators offering flying sightseeing in two seat ultralights.

My guess is that the rules here are probably more like in the rest of the world, where ultralights can have two seats and are allowed to be heavier than in the US, which suits me fine. What I would like to know more now is if any kind of pilot's license is required to fly an ultralight here.

If I get around to making one it will need to be STOL on very rough ground, so I'll probably go with the design I was working on earlier, The https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/light-stuff-area/6570-low-aspect-ratio-ultralight.html

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Ecuador?!? How in the world did you end up in Ecuador (coming from the Pacific Northwest)?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think there's any place in the world where you can fly a two seater without a pilot certificate, except for foot launch paragliders and hang gliders. Even single seat no license operations are unique to the US (and possible Britian's SSDR category?).

That said, there are a lot of third world countries where the rules just aren't enforced, like flying powered paragliders (technically illegal) in Baja Mexico.

-Dana

Hardware: the part of the computer that can be kicked. If you can only curse at it, it's software.

Starman

I'm sure there is very little if any enforcement around here because there are no airports or even grass strips anywhere within a large radius. I should know more soon though because a nice person from this forum conneced me with a friend of his who lives in this country.

My comment about two seat ultralights wasn't because I was planning on building one (maybe I am thinking about it now) but because the rules are probably similar to rules in the rest of the world, where they are allowed. If so these rules would allow me to build something heavier than allowed in the US, meaning a bigger engine, stronger structure, and more fuel, not that anyone is checking :whistle:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I don't think there's any place in the world where you can fly a two seater without a pilot certificate,
I think Canada Ultralight rules do allow for limited two seat operation, but both occupants must have a pilot "permit." I assume that a permit does not require any flight or written test. But my review of the Canadian Ultralight rules may not be exact.

ARP

Starman,

HBA member Alex Morillo is from Quito Ecuador and should be able to give the information you requested or at least point you in the right direction.

Tony

Starman

Thanks, Tony, i sent Alex an email.

I heard form another who lives here and he said that there used to be no rules but now they check the legality of ultralights and require licenses for them, unless you fly with a club. He said it didn't matter as long as you don't fly into any airports where the military or the aviation authority have a presence.

Still, I would like to know what the rules are for ultralight design. I'll post about it when I find out.

Starman

Ecuador?!? How in the world did you end up in Ecuador (coming from the Pacific Northwest)?
Well Bruce, it's kind of a long story, but to put it briefly, my political/governmental views changed to 'Run for the hills'. If I were to write what I know about this stuff it would start the biggest flame war, on some forums, that you never saw. I've started enough flame wars on other forums and outrew them, so I'll put it like this.

I decided to leave with what health and wealth I still have before those are both eroded away (or taken outright) thanks to our fearless rulers. As you may remember, I'm a student of health, healing, and longevity, and what is being done to the population through the food supply and medical systems should be shocking to all, if they knew the details, and it is no longer acceptable to me. In addition I wanted to live in the Southern hemisphere mainly because almost all the proccessed uranium in the world is in the Northern hemisphere.

At first I was going to go to New Zealand, but it could be in some danger =) and my teacher talked me out of it. Later I met a group of health oriented people who were planning on starting a community in Ecuador and invited me to come to be their resident chi kung master. Well they all flaked out for one reason or another, but I came down here anyway.

Now I'm living on a little primitive farm, which is reached by walking upriver from a little primitive town, in the middle of nowhere, in Southern Ecuador, near the ridge of the Andes mountain chain. The farm is at 7200 ft altitude so it is nice and cool when it is cloudy, rainy, or at night, but hot in the sun. This is an old farm and it has an irrigation system of ancient canals, it is the furthest upriver of residences and so the water in the river, which goes through the property, is pure and clean. There's lots of coffee, bananas, passion fruit, citrus, and veggies growing here, and chickens which provide good free ranging eggs. My health, which was already better than most people's my age, has been improving a fair amount due to the exercise, clean air, clean water, and great 'untarnished' food

captcws

Starman,
Just reading your recent post and have to say I too am thinking of relocating to Ecuador sometime in the next year also. Planning a trip down in Aug. to check out a few sites. Want to fly my helicopter while down there, not a homebuilt. Do you know of anyone on this site with any additional information regarding general aviation rules for rotor craft?

Maybe I could buy you a coffee while in country?

I'm now living in Ecuador and would like to know what kinds of laws they have here concerning building and flying ultralight aircraft. If anyone knows please enlighten me.

RAGATO

Hello all,
An overview of general aviation in Ecuador (and surrounding countries) would be greatly appreciated. Ecuador is on the list of possible retirement areas and flying would be one of the activities included in the decision process.
Thanks!

Starman

Sorry I missed the earlier post. I can look up aviation rules here for you, but before I go too far in that direction I would like to know. Can you guys read Spanish?

For starters, there IS general aviation here in ecuador, both for ultralights and for 'regular' aircraft.

dviglierchio

Can try to read Spanish but, either way, am real interested in the flying rules/costs there.
Typical questions:
Costs to fly - avgas, fees, ATC charges etc.
costs to hangar, hangar availability
runway types and availability
costs and rules for flying to neighboring countries
etc. etc.
Thanks!

Starman

I'm busy with other priorities now so I'll give you a lead.

The chances are very high that people who have an aircraft here will also be able to speak English, both of the ones I've contacted speak English. With that in mind, you can check out this site:

AeroClub del Ecuador - Fundado en 1931

and use Goggle translate to see what they say and to initially write to them. When you write then ask if someone there can read and write English.

Cost of gasoline here is less than half of what it is in the USA, and diesel is about 1/4th.

Also, costs for anything that has to do with man hours (instructors) is much lower than in the US.

Hi tech machinery that is imported and not manufactured here is more expensive than in the US.