This is nuts! 150k super cub

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

millerdvr

Saw this on Barnstormers today. I frequently cruise through the old Pipers and am always amazed at the price that they are asking. For $150k you could buy a brand new zero time airframe, powerplant and the whole nine yards with all the bells and whistles.
It is a nice looking PA-18 but not sure what the money buys you with this one.

BARNSTORMERS.COM

TFF

Cubs are a strange anomaly in airplanes. Nostalgia and ability go along way to making value. A local guy found the Cub he soloed in in the 50s, bought it, and had it restored; probably spent $50K when good Cubs went for $20K. Then you have people buying Carbon Cubs spending a bunch. The truth is also, you can ask anything but do you have a buyer at that price. I can understand Cubs, but some local put $300K into a Cessna 337 and he wanted to get his money out of it.

208Caravan

I don't have much room to speak, I invested 165k in a Super Cub I restored couple years ago. Luckily I found a buyer.

bruce

Doesn't seem too out of line to me, looks like a Cub Crafters airplane, when they rebuild/restore a Cub it is essentially brand new when completed (total time of course carries on but is irrelevant with this detailed of a restoration) Basically its a brand new airplane with 37 hrs on it.

SVSUSteve

Still.....there's no Cub worth that kind of cash (except maybe one with an independently verifiable service record during WWII). If I want to move at highway speeds, I'm sure as heck not going to pay $150,000 to do it.

bruce

Perhaps to you, but Cub Crafters has sold enough 180k rebuilds and 215k brand new Top Cubs to stay in business.

SVSUSteve

Perhaps to you, but Cub Crafters has sold enough 180k rebuilds and 215k brand new Top Cubs to stay in business.
Ah...to each and to their own. Although I don't count the 100 and 180 hp Cubs they sell as "Cubs". You say "Cub" I think J-3 and a 50 or 65hp engine. It's like putting a 350 hp engine on a Cessna single and claiming it's a 172.

GarandOwner

You have to remember the market, being able to carry 1k lbs and take off in a few lengths of the airplane is invaluable in rural areas where you can’t reach by roads. Just because it doesn’t fit your idea of a weekend flyer doesn’t mean that it isnt worth it to bush pilots. Dont like it? Dont buy it

Dan Thomas

It's like putting a 350 hp engine on a Cessna single and claiming it's a 172.
There's one of those around here, too. The guy assembled it and was able to get it registered as a homebuilt. It had a 172 fuselage, 182 wings and tailfeathers, and the 310-hp Continental IO-520 from a Cessna 206. Went like a scared cat, it did.

Dan