Quantcast

This flying car flies fine

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Can’t mistake those lines and functionality, this is obviously Stefan Klein’a next iteration after the Aeromobil II design. Though complex and with some issues (like the aforementioned flat approach and touchdown, I’ve always appreciated his designs as some of the few really viable readable aircraft.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I also wonder how much of a car it really is, or is it just a four-wheeled fuselage shaped like a race car. Crash protection? Bumpers? Four-wheeled "flying cars" seem self-defeating because it's so hard to meet the automotive regulations at a fraction of the weight of even a SMART car. Two- or three-wheeled vehicles generally only have to meet motorcycle regulations on the road, which would be much easier and more honest to the passengers (wear a helmet!) in a road + air combination vehicle.

henryk

Can’t mistake those lines and functionality, this is obviously Stefan Klein’a next iteration after the Aeromobil II design. Though complex and with some issues (like the aforementioned flat approach and touchdown, I’ve always appreciated his designs as some of the few really viable readable aircraft.

=from graas...

=tomorrow.

Last edited:

BJC

HBA Supporter
Though complex and with some issues (like the aforementioned flat approach and touchdown, I’ve always appreciated his designs as some of the few really viable readable aircraft.
Yup, when one drives up to a traffic jam, all the driver/pilot has to do is get a car-free 50’ X 3,000’ stretch of level, straight, powerline-free roadway, put out a few flares to keep others trying to get past the jam out of his way, press the transformer switch, ...

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Yup, when one drives up to a traffic jam, all the driver/pilot has to do is get a car-free 50’ X 3,000’ stretch of level, straight, powerline-free roadway, put out a few flares to keep others trying to get past the jam out of his way, press the transformer switch, ...

BJC
But if you end up in a crowd, at least you can extend the wings to guarantee social distancing.

Last edited:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
That wing-fold scheme makes more sense than the last dozen competitors!
Really seems much better thought out and the storage scheme is perfect. Proportions, tail volume, all that stuff seems to really be about like an airplane and not too much longer than a car or large SUV.

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
I also wonder how much of a car it really is, or is it just a four-wheeled fuselage shaped like a race car. Crash protection? Bumpers? Four-wheeled "flying cars" seem self-defeating because it's so hard to meet the automotive regulations at a fraction of the weight of even a SMART car. Two- or three-wheeled vehicles generally only have to meet motorcycle regulations on the road, which would be much easier and more honest to the passengers (wear a helmet!) in a road + air combination vehicle.
Looking at the cockpit in the video it is pretty wide and has some ability or at least room to have crumple zones. Much better chance than any other design than I have ever seen of passing DOT TUV standards and he actually built it and flew it. Been involved in a few out of the box concepts for clients of late. This one doesn't seem much out of the box but more like two boxes stuck together pretty well. Load paths from what they are showing look really sane. Aero seems well arranged. Might be a little draggy but jeez the whole thing is a compromise. The twin engine version looks to be the way to go. They actually flew a full scale model just sorta hogged out of foam and weighted to scale it looks like. Seems pretty sane people considering the subject matter.

It is screaming to have a sort of air suspension where it jacks itself way up as an airplane and changes its damping to aircraft carrier landing mode, then almost fully retracts in flight, then sets its height for various road conditions.

Doesn't say whether it is electric/hybrid/IC but I am guessing the prototype is IC.

BJC

HBA Supporter
It is screaming to have a sort of air suspension where it jacks itself way up as an airplane and changes its damping to aircraft carrier landing mode, then almost fully retracts in flight, then sets its height for various road conditions.
Thatone

BJC

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Agreed. And since I thought his last concept was completely viable as a first product, I'm afraid we may be into an "endless development looking for perfection" situation. He should've released the last one to production and then gone on to develop an improved model.

There's a reason for the cliché, "At some point you have to shoot the engineers and release to production."

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
That’s it, he needs to do a joint venture with Citroën! ;-) Seriously.

robertl

BJC
That gives me an idea, what if I could make my Dodge truck transform into a Helicopter, that would eliminate the runway problem. Hmmmm ! Nahhhhh, forget it.
Bob

Reactions: BJC