THE PIETENPOL AREA

Discussion in 'Classics' started by HIGHRIDEZ, Feb 9, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 5, 2017 #101

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The leaning tower of power. Had one in a Duster.

2. Mar 6, 2017 #102

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Best car I ever owned was a 1960 Valiant 2 door with red bucket seats and a slant six... I was 16 when my dad bought it for me in the mid 60's for $350.00. (He bought it so I could go to work part time at a gas station pumping gas, I had to pay him back) That little bugger was quick and safe... I put a Barracuda rear end in it. The only problem was it constantly burned out alternators. I tried everything, then finally switched it to an old Chevy generator and never had another problem. Mechanics scratched their heads when the opened the hood.

:)

valiant.jpeg

valiant2.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    BJC likes this.
  3. Mar 6, 2017 #103

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

I drive a slant six almost every day, '84 Dodge P.U. 179,000 miles and no major mechanical work. Backed up by a 5 speed manual. It's not a pretty truck but it's rust free and solid. I get people offering to buy it often. Rock Auto is great for parts.

4. Mar 6, 2017 #104

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

I've owned a few MOPAR (My Old Plymouth Ain't Running) products over the years. Seems that their electircal systems were the shortfall, at least in my experience. And to think, some Pipers had Chrysler alternators on them. Scary!

Hard to beat an old Chevy SI series alternator system. Fit one on a Toyota and my brother put one on a VW bug. Long story ...

Dale Williams
    N319WF @ 6J2
    Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
    120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
    Tail Wheel - Center Stick
    Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
    142.2 hours / Status - Flying
    Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd-QAxccgas

rbrochey likes this.
  5. Mar 6, 2017 #105

lr27

lr27

lr27

It's my understanding that the block was originally intended to be die cast aluminum. They had the cast iron one for a backup, with basically the same design but with more conventional casting methods. So that's part of why it's so beefy.
    I have seen 475 lbs quoted for the weight of either engine, unmodified, as they come from the car. As with the Model A, you can get aftermarket parts for these. As I remember, the exhaust and intake manifolds looked awfully heavy. If you're really lucky, you might find one of the aluminum ones, as a number of them were manufactured. Apparently they required special maintenance, which second and third owners would neglect, resulting in corrosion problems. I think the maintenance was just flushing or replacing the coolant or something.

Someone mentioned the length. The overall length is 32 inches according to the figure I found. It seems really difficult to find good figures for length and weight of these two engines.

If, after converting to aircraft use, one of these is still heavy, it might be nice on a heavier aircraft. There was one STOCK version good for 196 hp. Not sure about the low end torque on that one, but there were also versions for trucks. I don't know why I'm going on about this, except maybe for the low end torque.

6. Mar 6, 2017 #106

lr27

lr27

lr27

BTW, my old Saturn was over 200,000 miles before it was opened up, and then only because of a busted timing chain guide. At the end, somewhere over 260,000 miles, the odometer was broken. People I've spoken with said these cars kept going for a very long time; mine certainly did.

My car had the SOHC engine. Wikipedia says it weighed 197 lbs or something like that. I think it was supposed to have 85hp. A later SOHC engine made 100, and the The DOHC makes 125 horsepower, but is slightly heavier. However, I don't know if those had the same reputation for reliability. I think that figure was with all the junk on it! Swag Automotive sold an aero conversion with a PSRU, but, given how the owner died, it might not be a good idea. He was flying a Varieze with a converted and apparently hopped up Metro engine in it. Never got enough power to climb over trees at the end of the runway. Verdict was severe preignition. Or at least that's the rumor.

From looking at a torque curve, it appears my engine (or possibly the 100 hp version??) would get 50 hp at 2500 rpm. The DOHC would get a bit more. So maybe on a Piet you could get away without the PSRU?? What happens to engines like this if you run them at high throttle settings and 2500 rpm?

A further consideration for this and other more recent auto engines is that, from what I've read, lead kills oxygen sensors.

7. Mar 7, 2017 #107

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

From Facebook. Earlier we were talking about making wheels.

FB_IMG_1488913817793.jpg

FB_IMG_1488913822907.jpg

Autodidact and fly2kads like this.
  8. Mar 7, 2017 #108

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Screen shot edited of the builders post from Facebook.

20170307_131102.jpg

9. Mar 7, 2017 #109

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

Perky has been making those like that for about 30 years. Strangely enough he doesn't run them on his ship. I heard Perky is not well. He has been a pillar in the Piet community forever. I will investigate on my trip to Kansas City.

10. Mar 8, 2017 #110

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Perky? Who's that?

11. Mar 8, 2017 #111

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

Ken Perkins. His model A powered piet is all over youtube. red with 850x6 tires with no brakes. Very meticulous machinist from the Kansas City area. He makes ford conversion parts too. His airplane is in a lot of the Broadhead videos.

Edit: I don't know how to embed the youtube here but his airplane is in the opening of youtube title "broadhead 2009 part 2" Shows his airplane taking off.

12. Mar 8, 2017 #112

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

I know the man, I just never heard him called Perky or at least didn't put two and two together. Broadhead is local to me. He has a nice Piet.

13. Mar 8, 2017 #113

Kevin N

Kevin N

Kevin N

It says Perky right on the side of his Piet. One of these days I will learn how to spell Brodhead. I keep putting a "A" in there.

14. Mar 8, 2017 #114

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Actually, it says "PERKS" on the side.

I always spell it like a broadhead on a arrow, lol, you'd think I'd learn by now.

15. Mar 18, 2017 #115

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

Streffpilot

We try to visit there about once a month or so....It is perfect place for a nice quiet Saturday morning trip.

16. Mar 19, 2017 #116

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

A dividing head or Rotary Table can be had for $169.00 for six inch or $245.00 for eight inch either would suffice for drilling a hub but it may be easier and less expensive to fixture to the eight inch. http://www.cdcotools.com/ under the milling tools section, Rotary Tables (Horizontal & Vertical).
    And he also sells DRO's for those that prefer.

17. Apr 14, 2017 #117

AlistairL

AlistairL

AlistairL

Wonder if it is still easily possible to make a Pietenpol into a biplane conversion?I know there is the St. Croix but it seems it is not available as easily.I would love to try out a biplane version as I think it will have the same style as a Jenny.

18. Apr 14, 2017 #118

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

An example of a Piet biplane from the Piet group on Facebook recently.

Piet biplane.jpg

Bill

19. Apr 14, 2017 #119

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

Found this example recently and I really like the mods. Round tail and wing tips (maybe cub type) really change the look.

Piet round tail.jpg

Bill

Little Scrapper and litespeed like this.
  20. Apr 15, 2017 #120

lr27

lr27

lr27

That looks a bit like a parasol Fly Baby, but wouldn't it be more honest to call it "Miss Denial" rather than "Miss Forever Young"? OTOH, people seen to have real trouble spelling the word:
    denali-travel-trailer.jpg

It made me think of the Pober and Corben parasol designs also, but perhaps that's just because they also have parasol wings.