Quantcast

THE PIETENPOL AREA

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I agree. I like where he's going with this. Pietenpols are great that way, each builder makes them pretty unique.
FB_IMG_1492393949637.jpg

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Scratch building is in a slump these days but boy, there's always constant activity with the Pietenpol crowd.

Autodidact

I agree. I like where he's going with this. Pietenpols are great that way, each builder makes them pretty unique.
View attachment 61162
The stitching along the cockpit edges reminds me of the cleated stitching on a WWI airplane like the SE5a and a few others. I assume there will be leather there, though? Whereabouts in Oklahoma is that (general area, no need to be specific)?

Marc W

That is some nice looking work and I like his logo. He must be one of my brothers. Airborne, all the way!

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
One issue, dunno if it'd be a problem, with the pictured side by side version is that having a passenger or not would make a significant CG change. In the tandem version the passenger is right on the CG so it doesn't shift.

Sonex1517

Hello

I lurk more than post.

Our chapter, EAA 461, has been given a partially finished Pietenpol. It’s covered, good workmanship, but we have sooooo many questions.

First question - wheels and brakes

Axles are 1 1/2” and tires are 6x6.00. We are trying to source wheels and brakes. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

A couple of photos attached We removed the old Goodyear brakes after these photos were taken.

It will be powered by a 65 HP Continental. Not too much brake required, but 1C5 (Clow) is hard surface with a flight school. Brakes are essential.

next up - axle location

The project was built for a Corvair, and we are *hoping* to use a Donated C-65-8. We do have a Corvair if it comes to that. It apparently has the longer fuselage - First thing we did this was measure things. After reading the weight and balance manual, I was fairly shocked to find the center of the axles on this project are between 7” and 7 1/2” behind the leading edge of the wing as currently set. This was aircraft level, and a plumb hung from the L.E.

I read the weight and balance manual. It clearly states the axles are intended to be 0.5” behind the leading edge.

Before I start thinking about how we can completely re-do the gear....am I missing something? I have photos and data, but no experience and I’m the first to admit it.

If I interpret the weight and balance guide properly, we have a challenge on our hands with the location of the gear.

Our question is on a long fuselage Pietenpol (built for a Corvair) is the axle still supposed to be 0.5” behind the wing leading edge?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Attachments

sharpvector

Hello

I lurk more than post.

Our chapter, EAA 461, has been given a partially finished Pietenpol. It’s covered, good workmanship, but we have sooooo many questions.

First question - wheels and brakes

Axles are 1 1/2” and tires are 6x6.00. We are trying to source wheels and brakes. Any and all suggestions are welcome!

A couple of photos attached We removed the old Goodyear brakes after these photos were taken.

It will be powered by a 65 HP Continental. Not too much brake required, but 1C5 (Clow) is hard surface with a flight school. Brakes are essential.

next up - axle location

The project was built for a Corvair, and we are *hoping* to use a Donated C-65-8. We do have a Corvair if it comes to that. It apparently has the longer fuselage - First thing we did this was measure things. After reading the weight and balance manual, I was fairly shocked to find the center of the axles on this project are between 7” and 7 1/2” behind the leading edge of the wing as currently set. This was aircraft level, and a plumb hung from the L.E.

I read the weight and balance manual. It clearly states the axles are intended to be 0.5” behind the leading edge.

Before I start thinking about how we can completely re-do the gear....am I missing something? I have photos and data, but no experience and I’m the first to admit it.

If I interpret the weight and balance guide properly, we have a challenge on our hands with the location of the gear.

Our question is on a long fuselage Pietenpol (built for a Corvair) is the axle still supposed to be 0.5” behind the wing leading edge?

Any ideas are welcome. Thanks

Hi Sonex 1517, I take it you know about EAA chapter 431 in Broadhead? A lot of members there know the Pietenpol very well inside and out. Also, another resource for info is the very active Pietenpol group on Facebook:

A lot of members there are very forthcoming with info, experiences and advice

Good luck with your project!

TFF

Technically landing gear placement is CG related. I doubt it’s different long or short. If wing was raised, it might get moved back. Once it’s all measured , then you can start trying to analyze if the changes made sense or made on a whim. I have never flown in one, I do have a friend that built two concurrently. One with a Ford and one with a LeBlond radial. Last year he made a bunch of Ford prop adapters and sold them at Broadhead.

proppastie

Log Member
I guess I am missing something here....6x600 wheels and brakes are quite common....e-bay, aircraft junk yard?

TFF

Cleveland makes bolt on kits for Cessnas getting rid of Goodyear. I’m sure Matco and Grove can offer the same. Make sure you get the correct master cylinders and make sure the ratio of the pedal is right if you go used. The reason I own my project is from the original builder mixing brands without thinking and it ended on its roof. Brakes can work too good too.