• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

TC for redrive?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMillar

Has anyone considered using a torque converter in their auto-conversion set up? I know they are not all that efficient, but they seem to have some strong points.

One could either use it to transfer power into a conventional gear/chain/belt reduction system, or, using a specialty TC, use the "torque-multiplying" feature to act as a speed reduction in itself.

The main advantage in my mind is that it is already designed to be mounted to the flexplate meaning that you don't have to deal with issues of vibrations causing damage to the engine.

Only problem other than efficiency is that the fluid in the converter will heat up rather badly, it might need to be circulated through an oil cooler. Of course there is no valvebody etc to work unlike a car transmission so you wouldn't necessarily need ATF, another fluid might be better?

Other thought I had, somewhat connected, is, why not strip down an automatic (or manual I suppose but I can visualize it working more nicely with a auto...) removing the valvebody and all other controlling elements and locking it permanently in one ratio? By stripping parts and cutting unnecessary casing sections off one could get it down to a pretty reasonable mass... and with that and the bellhousing on the engine, you've got a nice tapered snout that reduces the amount of cowling you need. Obviously you want a rwd vehicle as the donor.

Back