Tandem-wing LSA/microlight concept and poll

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Which tandem-wing configuration would interest you the most (pick one in each of four categories).

• A1 - High wing forward, low wing aft (Flying Flea) OR

Votes: 18 37.5%
  • A2 - Low wing forward, high wing aft (Quickie);

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • B1 - Two-axis controls (no rudder pedals like an Ercoupe) OR

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • B2 - Three-axis controls (with rudder pedals like a Cessna);

Votes: 34 70.8%
  • C1 - Conventional (taildragger) gear OR

Votes: 23 47.9%
  • C2 - Tricycle (nosewheel) gear;

Votes: 20 41.7%
  • D1 - Tractor engine (engine and propeller at front) OR

Votes: 32 66.7%
  • D2 - Pusher engine (engine and propeller at rear);

Votes: 13 27.1%

• Total voters

rtfm

I wonder how it would fly?!
Do you have X-Plane flight simulator? Free and extremely good at modelling flight. It'll give you a really good basis from which to work, and a realistic idea of how this little beauty will fly. And have a lot of fun in the process. I'd love to do so myself, but the workshop calls...

rtfm

You mean like this guy?
Who drew this little fella? If I could get hold of side and top views, I might give a go at modelling it in X-Plane myself. I can already see how to build a full size version with my cnc-routered plywood method. Piece of cake. But I'd like to model it in X-Plane first.

Last edited:

rotax618

Nice looking airplane but unless the engine is very heavy Sockmonkey’s plane would have a CG problem. Tandems need approx 70-30 front/rear wing loading. Either larger rear and/or smaller front wing or make it longer.

Sockmonkey

Who drew this little fella? If I could get hold of side and top views, I might give a go at modelling it in X-Plane myself. I can already see how to build it with my cnc-routered plywood method. Piece of cake.
I did. Just about every pic I post is a model I made in sketchup.
Nice looking airplane but unless the engine is very heavy Sockmonkey’s plane would have a CG problem. Tandems need approx 70-30 front/rear wing loading. Either larger rear and/or smaller front wing or make it longer.
Probably easiest to just scoot the fore wing back a little.

rtfm

Actually, if I substitute the Fleabike fuselage for this one (which is very nice), and swap the wing positions (ie front low) I'd be half way there - wings already designed (well, almost). No pivoting, obviously. Come on, Socketmonkey, care to share the Sketchup file? That's all I use also.

Sockmonkey

Actually, if I substitute the Fleabike fuselage for this one (which is very nice), and swap the wing positions (ie front low) I'd be half way there - wings already designed (well, almost). No pivoting, obviously. Come on, Socketmonkey, care to share the Sketchup file? That's all I use also.
Sure thing. Give me some time to dig it up. In the meantime, enjoy this Fauvel version of a Fairchild Boxcar.

Last edited:

rtfm

Well, your skills at 3D Sketchup FAR outstrip mine. Perhaps I'll get some valuable pointers when I see what your files look like...

Sockmonkey

Well, your skills at 3D Sketchup FAR outstrip mine. Perhaps I'll get some valuable pointers when I see what your files look like...
I have a specific file that shows how I handle some of those pesky 3D curves. Making it neat is mostly a matter of making all the respective segment intersections line up.
If you move the front wing back on Sockmonkey's design you end up with a staggered tailless biplane - would be interesting!
Hmm. Has a powered unswept biplane plank ever been done?
Bi-plank?
I guess it would look like a stubby Stratos if the tips were joined by rudders.

erkki67

I guess it would look like a stubby Stratos if the tips were joined by rudders.
Exactly what I was thinking.

A few years back, I went to see a gentlemen in spain, living at Albacete, he had a Ligeti Stratos and told me, that it would be a wonderfull bird with a tractor engine, so this bird is going into that direction.

rtfm

If you move the front wing back on Sockmonkey's design you end up with a staggered tailless biplane - would be interesting!
As far as I can tell, there is a rudder back there. Yes, CG is going to be a problem, but then again, X-Plane does a pretty good job of modeling that also. Might find we have to increase the size of the rear wing a bit, and shrink the front. But maybe not. The Fleabike has a 6m^2 front wing and a 4 m^2 rear wing with a front wing loading of 71%...
But I am using a 53kg engine. If one wanted to use the Polini Thor 250 for example, one will definitely encounter issues with the CG, But X-Plane will tell you how heavy (or light) an engine you can get away with.

Now where is my joystick?

Last edited:

erkki67

similar, as the engineering data is missing for two of the birds here the Ranger and the enhanced Affordaplane. Fritz is well occupied to bring his creations aloft, so we have to wait until he is mativated again to take up those magnificient birdsi.
Here in Switzreland, you can't just build a craft and going aloft, without stress numbers no way to get the permission.
Unfortunatly we don't have a similar class like the FAR103. SSDR or 120kg german class.
The Ranger similar project is called Dodo-V.