Tandem-wing LSA/microlight concept and poll

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Which tandem-wing configuration would interest you the most (pick one in each of four categories).

• A1 - High wing forward, low wing aft (Flying Flea) OR

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • A2 - Low wing forward, high wing aft (Quickie);

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • B1 - Two-axis controls (no rudder pedals like an Ercoupe) OR

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • B2 - Three-axis controls (with rudder pedals like a Cessna);

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • C1 - Conventional (taildragger) gear OR

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • C2 - Tricycle (nosewheel) gear;

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • D1 - Tractor engine (engine and propeller at front) OR

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • D2 - Pusher engine (engine and propeller at rear);

Votes: 12 27.9%

• Total voters

Bill-Higdon

I'm always on the lookout for old Air Progress magazines with aircraft I'm interested in, so i have quite a few if you can narrow down the issue.
Unfortunately all I remember was it was one of their Home Built Aircraft specials from probably 1964 on to about 1969

rtfm

I would love to mount the front wing of a Flea with single cantilever struts like on the Croses CPL, but exactly how to ensure sufficient rigidity both fore/aft and left/right escapes me. Pity, because if I ever decide to build a sit-in Flea, I would like to design it as streamlined as possible.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I would love to mount the front wing of a Flea with single cantilever struts like on the Croses CPL, but exactly how to ensure sufficient rigidity both fore/aft and left/right escapes me. Pity, because if I ever decide to build a sit-in Flea, I would like to design it as streamlined as possible.
In the fore-aft direction, all those two struts have to resist is the drag of the wing. Left-right (i.e. frame racking as viewed from the front of the aircraft), the forces also shouldn't be too bad unless the plane is pretty seriously uncoordinated or perhaps in a very tight turn where the outside end of the wing is producing substantially more lift than the inner end. I would expect that the struts have a connection just below the top surface of the cowling and that they have a healthy backspan--perhaps near the bottom of the cowling--for the second connection. I'd love to see one of those with the cowl pulled.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Unfortunately all I remember was it was one of their Home Built Aircraft specials from probably 1964 on to about 1969
I dug through and couldn't find anything. But, I'm always buying more! Those old mags are gold mines. The magazines today seem to be about the same three airplanes, or all about avionics.

Martin R.

Maybe that was referring to one of those tandem aircrafts?
Jidey _ Despretz.jpg

Last edited:

Sockmonkey

Fore-aft strength is easy. You just make them triangle-shaped when viewed from the side.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Wrapping up the poll portion of this thread, three-axis controls and a tractor-mounted engine installation are clearly preferred, while the low-wing forward configuration and conventional gear have only a slight edge. So, based on the thoughts of 33 members of our little community, it looks like the Autoplan and Hémiptère/Q2/Dragonfly configurations with or without a nosewheel would be the most acceptable.

Bill-Higdon

Maybe that was referring to one of those tandem aircrafts?
View attachment 110255
Thank you for finding this, yes this is the bird I was referring to

Last edited:

rtfm

I'm working on a two seat side-by-side design Flea during my off time.

Here's a picture of what it's going to look like (minus wings - not added yet).

1620272011610.png

or with the canopy:

1620272063946.png

rtfm

Ha ha. You got me! I have always loved the Questair Venture. Yes, modeled strongly on the QV.
But while I'm waiting for T88 to cure, I've been fiddling with the design. An open air side by side two seater with an optional canopy. But I really like the low forward wing. Just playing around with ideas here, so don't shoot me down in flames...

A real Flea, with the rear wing mounted relatively low on the vertical fin. Great horisontal and vertical separation. No blanketing of the rear wing at extreme angles of attack. It's time we got away from the HM293/HM360 (not that they aren't great planes).
1620290458785.png

Groundhog Gravy

Wrapping up the poll portion of this thread, three-axis controls and a tractor-mounted engine installation are clearly preferred...
I question whether most of the respondents would prefer a tandem-wing design at all, however. I wonder how the results would differ if this were a forum dedicated to tandem-wing enthusiasts.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
In the end, if I am able to pursue my own design, I am going to do what I like and the heck with everybody else. That said, where I don’t personally have strong preferences, it’s interesting to get some idea of what other people would prefer if I were ever to offer plans. I don’t expect it to be a business, but it would be nice to see more than one take to the air.

I question whether most of the respondents would prefer a tandem-wing design at all, however. I wonder how the results would differ if this were a forum dedicated to tandem-wing enthusiasts.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I have a question about your poll. As of 5/6/2-21 at 11:09 AM Los Angeles time, it says this:

• A1 - High wing forward, low wing aft (Flying Flea) 39.4%
  • A2 - Low wing forward, high wing aft (Quickie) 51.5%

This adds up to 90%. Aren't these polls supposed to add up to 100%???

Forgive me, I was drawing airplanes in math class as a kid instead of paying attention.... or is this one of those newfangled "Common Core" math solutions?

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I believe that the limitations of the forum software prevented me from enforcing the “pick one in each of four categories) so some people may have messed that up, hence the discrepancies.