small craft for oversize pilots like me ;-)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

I've always liked the smaller planes, the Ranger, Airbike, CriCri and so on.

But to lift my weight, I need wing surface, as much as I can get from an existing wingspan.

One of the first Zenair's was using a wing made of the more or less rigid D-Cell LE structure, while the aft was made of sailcloth.

How to make a wrapping control system for Roll and Pitch , with ta D-Cell leading edge.

The sail could have battens to stabilize the airfoil.

Would a control system that acts on the camber of the sail be effective to control a 3-axis airplane?

Martin R.

...... Would a control system that acts on the camber of the sail be effective to control a 3-axis airplane? .....
Difficult but very interesting question!

On the Zipper https://zenair40.weebly.com/uploads/8/1/4/3/8143775/header_images/1380388298.jpg

Chris Heintz http://www.zenithair.com/c-heintz.html
used "normal" ailerons attached on the Princeton-sailwing
https://zenair40.weebly.com/zipper-i.html

Here you will find more information about Princeton-sailwings:
https://apps.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/275307.pdf
https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19690009905.pdf
http://journals.sfu.ca/ts/index.php/ts/article/view/818/775 (download the pdf)

lr27

If you weigh a lot, you need more span, too, unless you want to use even more power.

I've seen some designs marketed as two places that wouldn't accommodate two normal sized people.

Pops

Log Member
Not easy designing a small airplane for a big guy. I have 2 grandsons that are 6' 4", 6' 5" and 250, 260 lbs. Its really a handicap when most of everything is built for little people. Biggest person I could find to try setting in the JMR was 6' 5" x 280 lbs.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
EF289AC7-4F78-458C-9611-52278B115C51.png CEAA6B52-50A3-4B69-AF3D-1065C50574FF.jpeg

A stock VP-2 flown solo from the center of the seat has unlimited headroom and enough cockpit width and payload capacity for even a 300 lb pilot. Legroom is not huge but a single set of rudder pedals could be installed further forward to gain a few inches compared to dual pedals.

Hephaestus

Most depressing thread ever.
Maybe all the pilot's clubs could get group discounts on gym memberships?
Or perhaps people need to realize that the standard FAA pilot was based on unrealistic numbers influenced heavily by living during the great depression?

I'm on my 2nd year of a very rigid very controlled diet and cardio program. And I do follow it. I'm heavier now than when I started. And even my doctor now admits that I'll never get to that insane BMI target.

erkki67

View attachment 92339 View attachment 92338

A stock VP-2 flown solo from the center of the seat has unlimited headroom and enough cockpit width and payload capacity for even a 300 lb pilot. Legroom is not huge but a single set of rudder pedals could be installed further forward to gain a few inches compared to dual pedals.

But it's rather on the heavy side,

only Fritz has the magic stick to reduce the weight on a VP.

And my favorite is a highwing 2 seater.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Outdated FAA definitions have little to do with matching the aircraft to the mission. If looking for a big and tall single-seater then simply find a light two-seater that will work and go for it. Tandem two-seaters flown solo from the rear like a J-3 Cub also come to mind, such as a Fisher Horizon 1 or 2 or even a Pietenpol. If the heavy pilot moves the CG too far back then you just use a heavier engine and prop.

48AF95BE-0ABE-45A0-BDBD-824E14F7E336.png

Last edited:

Aerowerx

Outdated FAA definitions have little to do with matching the aircraft to the mission. If looking for a big and tall single-seater then simply find a light two-seater that will work and go for it. Tandem two-seaters flow solo from the rear like a J-3 Cub also come to mind, such as a Fisher Horizon 1 or 2 or even a Pietenpol. If the heavy pilot moves the CG too far back then you just use a heavier engine and prop.

View attachment 92351
I was at a little fly-in type airshow several decades ago.

There was a J3 parked there that I was looking at, and noticed something strange. It had only 1 seat, and was about in the middle between where the two normal seats would be. Somewhat puzzling.

Then a while later I saw why. I watched the owner get into the thing. He was maybe 5ft9 and easily weighed 300 pounds. I surprised he even fit.

I don't know about the headroom, but there are ways to fly if you are "large economy size".

BJC

HBA Supporter
I toyed with the idea of a single seat RV-4, with the seat moved aft about 2 inches and the seat back reclined. It would have been a fastback, with an IO-360 up front.

BJC

Victor Bravo

Erkki, I HAVE your answer. The Flying K Skyraider Mark 2 and the Rocky Mountain Wings "Ridge Runner" Model 2.

These are very similar aircraft, from companies owned by two brothers. The "Model 2" version of these aircraft are large enough for a large and heavy pilot.

Both of them are essentially derivatives of the Avid Flyer... BUT... they were not "side by side" aircraft. The original versions were supposedly able to meet the Part 103 Ultralight rules.

But soon afterward, they both introduced a "two seat capable" version. It was absolutely ridiculous to put two people in one of these, but they were also physically large enough for one large person, and the structure was increased to handle the extra weight.

My Ridge Runner 2 has a gross weight of 900 pounds, and the empty weight will be somewhere around 350 pounds.

The wings fold rearward like the Avid/Kitfox. A 45-60HP engine is used. The aircraft has excellent STOL and "bush plane" capability.

Last edited:

lr27

I was going to mention the Skyraider if I remembered the name. Have seen one in person. It looks cramped, at least for two, but I didn't ask if I could try it on.

Victor Bravo

The original SkyRaider ad Ridge Runner 1 was indeed smaller than the Model 2 in the photo I posted. And the Model 2 is smaller than the Model 3 and 4.

I would be surprised if Erkki would not fit in the Model 2, simply without installing the "passenger" safety harness. There is enough room for him to use a slightly more angled seat back, allowing him to lean back a little further. The width is exactly 24 inches, from top to bottom.

The aircraft also has just about everything he has said he wants, form good STOL performance to folding wings to fit in a shipping container. It also has real flaps and ailerons, three different landing geear configurations, and a properly engineered truss fuselage crash structure.

Group Builder