small craft for oversize pilots like me ;-)

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by erkki67, Jan 22, 2020.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 23, 2020 #21

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

2. Jan 23, 2020 #22

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Wow! That's more than roots, I think. That's darn near a spot-on match for the Ridge Runner I have in my hangar... the multiple mounting lugs for landing gear, the rear cowl sitting outboard of the forward fuselage sides, the separate flaps and ailerons instead of flaperons, the shape of the rudder, the swoop of the upper fuselage behind the wing to allow level folding.

If the published gross weight is 900 pounds, I think that's Erkki's choice for an airplane.

EDIT, after looking at their brochure, I believe this is a copy of the Skyraider 1, and not the Skyraider 2. 238 pounds payload and 660 pounds gross weight id not sufficient for a man of Erkki's... caliber :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  3. Jan 23, 2020 #23

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

That tail is huge , and looks really really familiar but can't pick it.

4. Jan 23, 2020 #24

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Sockmonkey

Seems like a fairly common design, so you probably remember it from a lot of places.

5. Jan 24, 2020 #25

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

Interesting VB, to find a used one, hmm ok that might be possible, then ship it over here still ok, but then the trouble starts.

Here I would need to strip the aircraft to the very last bolt, finding a structural engineer to calculate the stress (back engineering) if not available from those companies, then reconstruct the whole bird a register it as an homebuilt. The experimentals are limited to the companies producing aircraft.
    E-LSA do not exist in our legislation .

6. Jan 24, 2020 #26

lr27

lr27

lr27

Aren't there a gazillion small, two place designs in Europe that would be just fine for carrying one large, heavy person?

7. Jan 24, 2020 #27

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

The challenge here is that microlights in Europe are limited to 300 kg gross weight for a single-seater and 450 kg gross weight for a two-seater. If remaining in the microlight category -- usually easier, cheaper, and less hassle than amateur-built standard aircraft -- you're stuck with those numbers + 5% for a ballistic chute or + 10% for amphibious operation for the time being.

8. Jan 24, 2020 #28

lr27

lr27

lr27

Stewart Headwind? Or is it too small inside?

I suppose the Legal Eagle and Double Eagle are too ugly?

Assuming the plans are available, and that regulatory hassles are survivable, a Be.60. on a diet? I guess that's a little far fetched, but it would be so cute.

There have to be some plans around somewhere for one of those two seat ultralight trainers that are no longer legal in the USA.

9. Jan 24, 2020 #29

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

His problem is the government approval process, not the aircraft design.

Erkki, I'm sorry but you may be stuck with the Zenair 750. It will fit your size, it has the performance you are looking for, and the Swiss government will not dare dis-approve of the design engineering from Heintz.

Unless there is an un-regulated "ultralight" category in Switzerland, Fritz' Ranger and many other designs proposed here on HBA will create the same problems for you when it comes time to face the government.

10. Jan 24, 2020 #30

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

11. Jan 24, 2020 #31

Pops

Pops

Pops

Friend of mine built this 2 place Sky Raider. I think he said this was the last kit sold. I wouldn't call
    it a two place no more than my SSSC. The EW of both were the same at 485 lbs. Had the same wing area. The SSSC is powered by a straight drive 1835, 60 HP, VW engine and the SR had a 60 HP HKS engine with the reduction drive. They had the same ROC and cruise speed. He sold the SR to someone in Canada.

DSCF0009 (4).JPG

12. Jan 24, 2020 #32

TiPi

TiPi

TiPi

Switzerland doesn't have "Ultralights", everything is experimental with full PPL requirements. They don't recognise recreational or LSA pilot or aircraft. I believe there is a new category (or talk of) for electric light aircraft.
    That's why I moved to Australia:) We had a "SSDR" for over 40 years (300kg MTOW, min 10m2 wing area, single seat), have recreational pilot certificate, LSA, ultralight experimental as well as normal experimental.

13. Jan 25, 2020 #33

lr27

lr27

lr27

I looked up Switzerland. Apparently, it's not part of the EU. So I wonder if any of the EU rules are implemented there. I also wonder if Switzerland recognizes the certifications of other nations. There is a flying replica of the Be.60 in the Czech Republic, and perhaps it was a certified airplane when it was originally manufactured in the 1930's.

14. Jan 25, 2020 #34

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I'll let Erkki explain in detail but the short answer is that some European microlights are approved in Switzerland but only a certain list. There doesn't seem to be a homebuilt microlight category and regular E-AB is very tightly regulated and it's a huge task to get a new design approved.

15. Jan 25, 2020 #35

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Can you register in a different country or "build" in a different country and import?

16. Jan 25, 2020 #36

TiPi

TiPi

TiPi

a few Swiss have their aircraft in France or Germany and fly there. Switzerland doesn't have a "recreational" category for pilot licence/certificate, so even a microlight requires a PPL.

17. Jan 25, 2020 #37

lr27

lr27

lr27

Because it was more fun than what I'm supposed to be doing, I went to experimental.ch and downloaded their list of registered homebuilt planes. There was a wide variety which included most of the usual suspects. There were a bunch of light two seaters; Kitfoxes, Avid Flyers, etc. There was even a VP-1. I didn't see anything that looked like a traditional ultralight, though.

18. Jan 25, 2020 #38

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Hey Erik, What about the MW6s side by side. looks easy to build and sit in center. Designed and engineered by a REAL live airplane engineer. Reasonable amounts flying for years. https://duckduckgo.com/?q=mw6+wing+fold&atb=v166-1&ia=videos&iax=videos&iai=GYpTs9j7Zbc
    The Mw7 is sexier, and was designed to be tossed about, and the Designer is right here on this web platform. Mike Whittaker is working on his plank right now, but he responded to personal email. Plans are available, and can be built with low tech. Mike uses a main aluminum tube spar to take lifting and twisting loads, with one strut instead of two. making it easier for a big guy get in and out.
    Lets see, capable of storing in a container? Check
    Lift 280 lbs of bone, brain, and Nordic pilot? Check
    Build in your garage from plans? check
    What are you waiting for? I'd build one If I could get plans. Minimum welding, tube, fabric, aluminum, wood ribs.. mmmmmmm ghaaaaahhh Homer Simpson Donut sounds.

does anyone know about any good reasons NOT to build an MW?

19. Jan 25, 2020 #39

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

20. Jan 25, 2020 #40

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

Dillpickle

with the mw, I would look into buying the honeycomb panels Bede used to make ribs and bond them to the wing if the weight compared. but you would probably need to build stock or have all changes re-engineered.