SD-1 Forum on Yahoo Groups is looking for a new home

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by rtfm, Oct 18, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 18, 2019 #1

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi,
    As you might know, Yahoo is closing its forum section, and all those airplane groups currently using the Yahoo platform to keep in contact with builders are pretty much being cut off.

The SD-1 group is looking for a new home.

I suggested they contact homebuiltairplanes.com and suggest the creation of a dedicated SD-1 section on our site. With only 167 members we could easily accommodate them. And I think they'd be an excellent addition to our forum.

Having made the suggestion, there is little more I can do. I've suggested they visit our forum, and contact a moderator to progress the idea. If they do so, great. If they opt rather to form a Facebook group (heaven help us...) then that is their choice too.

Thoughts?

Regards,
    Duncan

2. Oct 18, 2019 #2

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I migrated my aviation related Yahoo group to GroupsIO. Cost $110 for an upgrade over the free version but they did all of the work to transfer the files. It's been a slow start, the old site wasn't all that active, but it works better than even the old Yahoo did in the pre-marissa days.

3. Oct 18, 2019 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Duncan,
    Is it an owners/pilots/builders group, or open to all with interest in the SD-1? And how much corporate involvement is there?

4. Oct 19, 2019 #4

TiPi

TiPi

TiPi

I setup the Yahoo group for anyone with an interest in the SD-1, membership was by request to keep spammers out.
    No corporate involvement, Igor is a member and he does chip in if there is no answer coming from existing builders on questions.
    For this to work on homebuiltairplanes, it would nearly require its own section, similar to the auto conversions. Otherwise the info gets scattered through all the different threads.
    I put the question of where to move to the members, waiting for a bit more feedback. I have found 2 options, one is groups.io and the other proboards.com

5. Oct 19, 2019 #5

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Proboards is nearly worse than yahoo.

I dislike saying it but facebook is one of the better options.

6. Oct 19, 2019 #6

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

I'm a member a number of FB groups. They are definitely not designed as real forums. All posts are lumped in a single folder. Terrible.

7. Oct 19, 2019 #7

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

They are - but the search works you can post pictures and files easily, and its rather accessible and no cost...

8. Oct 19, 2019 #8

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Mnyes...
    No-one on the most active group I'm a member of likes FB. Nothing but complaints. SD-1 can do a lot better. Besides, for the value of all the "passing traffic", and the slick interface, I'm sure they can afford whatever (if any) cost might be levied by HBA. Besides, if we can have individual sections for eight different engine types (which get very little traffic), why can't we have a dedicated SD-1 section? After all, promoting home builders is what HBA is all about, isn't it?

TerryM76 and Matt D Murdoch like this.
  9. Oct 19, 2019 #9

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

This is not a trivial request. If SD-1 got their own section, then other aircraft types would at some point think "hey, me too!"
    This could be a good thing. A seperate section would be needed for support forums then have individual sections, such as SD-1, under that. It probably needs discussion amongst the mods and then approval from He who is forever overseas. For the record, I'd be cool with HBA having a section for individual aircraft.

Personally, I wouldn't use a Facebook group even if it was the only support available.

10. Oct 19, 2019 #10

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

I'd love to get a dedicated Fly Baby subgroup here, as well.

We're losing our Yahoo page. Not going to transfer elsewhere, since the traffic was low because most of the people were posting to the Facebook page, instead.

Ron Wanttaja

11. Oct 19, 2019 #11

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

What!? You never heard of stamps? There are still options available much better than FB. :cool:

Many planes have been built with nothing more than plans, news letters, and a yearly flyin. :p

12. Oct 19, 2019 #12

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Actually, re-reading the Yahoo notice, the EMAIL functionality of Yahoo Groups is still going to be there. What is going away is the ability to store content online.

Ron Wanttaja

13. Oct 20, 2019 #13

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Hi,
    What an easy way of boosting HBA membership and at the same time broadening our appeal.

I think HBA should be proactive and contact ALL the airplane groups on Yahoo and invite them to join - with their own dedicated section. This is a tremendous opportunity for HBA. Let's not whiffle it away. We won't get another chance.

Duncan

dragon2knight, akwrencher and Mad MAC like this.
  14. Oct 20, 2019 #14

User27

User27

User27

Groups.io or Google groups seem to be the best options to migrate to from Yahoo. A couple of groups I am a member of are considering the switch. Neither have switched yet. Apparently both providers make the switch fairly straight forward.

15. Oct 20, 2019 #15

rtfm

rtfm

rtfm

Perfect! And why not? Since when did HBA become exclusive? Let them all join - aren't we always looking for new members? This is a perfect opportunity not only to help out a whole bunch of builders, but to grow our own numbers.

And me too. If we can have separate sections for individual engines, then SURELY we can have separate sections for different aircraft types. Surely...[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more...

16. Oct 20, 2019 #16

TFF

TFF

TFF

I’m sure the biggest problem is old data transfer to HBA. These others had to have spent time figuring out how to plug and play. Day by day free internet is shrinking. One day I’m sure HBA will fall too. The ability to track information to the individual is what makes it happen. I’m already two down that have gone pay. It’s back to magazine subscriptions, you just won’t get a physical copy. Unlimited information is going away. You will have to take sides. A couple of more steps and I will be stuck paying for content on stuff I want to look.

17. Oct 21, 2019 #17

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Main drawback I've seen for Facebook is the lack of easily -searchable archives. If the group discussed, say, tailwheels a year earlier, it's hard to dig up the conversation and impossible to post a link for it.

Can't do tables, either.

Otherwise, the interface is simple, and it's a breeze to post photos.

Ron Wanttaja

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  18. Oct 21, 2019 #18

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Might be worth contacting Matt Dralle at Matronics. Zero ads, and a once/year voluntary donation request period, not unlike public radio. Aeroelectric List is there, as is the Kolb list, and dozens of other a/c & car groups.

Options for forum, email, or daily digest delivery.

Charlie

19. Oct 21, 2019 #19

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I've been on the Matronics Kolb List and it worked fairly well. It is definitely an option, because he already has several type-specific lists. I would also support the concept of HBA "growing" to become a host for this sort of stuff. Whatever work and programming and headache is involved in creating a sub-forum for the SD-1, I have no idea. But it can be a membership only sub-section of HBA, and it would likely increase the number of HBA participants.

Matt D Murdoch and dragon2knight like this.
  20. Oct 21, 2019 #20

admin

admin

admin

Administrator Staff Member

If anyone knows a Yahoo Group owner or is an owner or even a Groups.IO group that wants to be on their own. I can provide a domain and put the community on this same software (Xenforo). I have already converted a couple of Yahoo Groups (not in aviation).

dragon2knight likes this.