Quantcast

Rutan Ski-gull

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
First off, I'm only guessing here, so this may only be worth what you paid for it...

Gull wings - I don't know. Maybe he had no choice because it was named Ski-Gull. :gig:
It may have been done to reduce the chance of a wingtip catching the water if the wings dip, while still allowing a straight center section.

Rudder balance - I doubt of the whole understructure moves... there is a dark area in the photo that may mark a separation between moving and fixed portions. Also, if you draw an imaginary line downward extending the hinge line, it looks like there may be just as much submerged area aft of the line as there is ahead of it.

Wingtips - His Oshkosh presentation didn't show the bent up wingtips. Perhaps he decided he needed a little more dihedral effect and that was the simplest way to do it, plus it might give him the benefits that come from winglets.
Wasn't it originally twin engine? And so the gull would be to get the props up high?

Tiger Tim

Winglets I can understand, but what about those whiskers off the trailing edge where the wing and winglet meet? Is there some aerodynamic voodoo happening here or is that a stylish clip to help hold the folded wing in place?

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My guess is that it's a stylized version of a trailing edge extension on a fillet, sort of like what you see on a CRJ winglet fillet.

harrisonaero

The upturned tips aren't designed to be winglets, they keep from dragging a tip in the water. And the root of the tip has a shark fin shaped flexible ski on the trailing edge to help prevent submersion.

The anhedral at the wing root section is so that the tips are a trailerable width after folding. Works great too and the wings fold and stow easily.

cheapracer

Log Member
Harrisonaero, I'm a habitual patent reader, does Burt have any patents on the systems for reading up on please?

BenoitLescot

I too am not very convinced about Seagull, looks apart, the folded wings position will make for a nervous ride back..

ShockMonkey, here is what I've been toying with some time ago :
Screen Shot 2013-09-06 at 8.36.24 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2013-09-07 at 11.30.02 AM.jpg

Victor Bravo

not a fan of it a all - it just isn't sexy like other rutan designs. He sure likes to design planes that are only roomy for petite people.
How sexy can you make a seaplane? It's pretty sexy, for a seaplane, in my opinion. The vast majority of seaplanes have large pontoons hanging down three feet under the cabin, attached by 8 or 10 tubes running back and forth at all angles. This airplane is way way smoother looking than that.

BenoitLescot

Well.. taste and colors... it's good not everyone agrees to the same :)
I think we're past 1920 now and we should find a way of reducing/removing the unnecessary additions that made an airplane into a waterplane.
This to me is sexy :
bleu-galerie1.jpg
Has the same multi-surface requirements although I will concede it has not been built for long range (810nm max)

Still very interested in the Ski-gull development of course !

bmcj

HBA Supporter
not a fan of it a all - it just isn't sexy like other rutan designs. He sure likes to design planes that are only roomy for petite people.
I know what you mean, but it is really just a point of view. To Rutan, functional is sexy. I've never known him to incorporate appearance into his design criteria... everything is done for a purpose.

Doggzilla

Banned
HBA Supporter
I dont say this often, but I think Im in love.

Ive always respected Rutan, but this has got to be the first home built I would describe as "gorgeous". Although the Quickie was "cute".