Quantcast

Rutan Ski-gull

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

A friend used to use his Volmer Sportsman to pick up chicks, but grumbled that he could not dock at the marinas with the best restaurants.
That's it !

Screw the VP-21, the flying motorcycle, and the foldable UL sailplane... the next new big design challenge glove for HBA has just been thrown down... "Homebuilt Seaplane to Pick Up Chicks" !!

- Able to dock at the local marina and restaurants where the chicks hang out
- Slide-out camper style fuselage section with a mattress
- Engine driven A/C compressor for the wine cellar in the bottom of the hull
- Auto-pilot to enable... well... you get my drift
- Room for a placard on the cabin roof that says "Objects in Mirror are Larger than they appear" :)

Tiger Tim

VB, I'd be all for your new challenge but it sounds like you'd need a tunnel hull to pull off those specs.

No, thanks.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
That's it !

Screw the VP-21, the flying motorcycle, and the foldable UL sailplane... the next new big design challenge glove for HBA has just been thrown down... "Homebuilt Seaplane to Pick Up Chicks" !!

- Room for a placard on the cabin roof that says "Objects in Mirror are Larger than they appear" :)
>snork< :gig:

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Oh, I see where he was going. It's bigger than a homebuilt, yes, but I was explicitly talking about the US Navy seaplanes of the '50s, which were in this size class.

And to that I say, just because you can pluck an anecdotal example out of the ether doesn't mean you've invalidated my point. Yes, the big ship guys liked carriers. But the Navy also found that blue-water seaplane ops were impractical, because of sea-states and a host of other factors. Just because a specialty aircraft that's used in limited niche operations can operate in a specific sea-state doesn't render my point invalid.

Sockmonkey

At a given speed; a ski will always fare much better than a planing hull; it has way more "give", since they're sprung and given the small area you can afford to make them extremely sturdy. Unlike hydrofoils which indeed have a catastrophic failure, a ski with a bit of give will simply bump over anything hard, even logs that are catastrophic to both hulls and hydrofoils.
This right here. Those sprung skis are the genius bit that makes the ski-gull viable. They would be great on pretty much any high-speed boat as well. Those guys that race the cigarette boats are black and blue by the end of the race from hitting the chop so fast.

narfi

Log Member
I have been wondering the same.... summer is here, the ice is gone.... whats going on? :)

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
That's it !

OK. Would someone please post the photo of the mother duck with the chicks on her back.

Riggerrob

Thanks for posting that head-on photo of Rutan's Skigull. The cockpit looks big enough for the big guy standing beside it.

... as big as the cockpit in a Quickie I or Long Eze, both of which are comfortable for my 6 feet and 200 pounds.

Anyone who designs an airplane cockpit for people smaller than me .... does not plan on selling many kits.

As for the new mission: picking up chicks ..... add a fold-out tent and hammock, under the wing and over a side sponson. If you hang the tent over the wing root, you don't need to worry about the weight of poles and will still have plenty of internal volume.
Hang an extra-large hammock inside and .... sleep until the storm passes.
Yeah!
That's it!
Sleep until the storm passes.

harrisonaero

Can't share the private stuff we're doing but here is some SkiGull build info that's been made public by Trevor. Burt's still making it happen in his garage!

Op Ed: mull on this for a while- one of the most successful aircraft designers in history uses his retirement to continue to work hard and innovate in order to improve the art of seaplane design. Definitely a lesson here. We need more men like Burt in this world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AysJUK5NcPI

max_burke

HBA Supporter
I am curious where the project is at as well.

If this post is otherwise lacking in content, then, um, what epoxies is Burt using these days?