• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Revisiting the Awesome Possum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sockmonkey

The name is silly, but I stand by it. :gig:
Anyhow, some of you probably remember my posting of the AP from the VP and MOTA threads.
Not pretty, but I still think the concept could be a good contender in the world of homebuilts.
i35kGo3.png

The final configuration will need to be tweaked a bit from what the image shows because I'm that most
horrible of sinners, an idea guy without the proper numbers. Most of them anyhow.

It comes out to 5.2m X 5.9m x 2.4m with 15.3 sq meters of wing area. (161 sq feet)
If the max loaded weight comes in under 500 lbs the wing loading will be a little over 3 lbs per sq ft.

Very reasonable for this category of plane. Engine is a 20-30 hp 4-stroke.

Exact fore-aft positioning of the pilot pod depends on the effectiveness of the elevator and weight of the
engine.

The most obvious feature aside from the low-aspect wing are the twin drag rudders holding a Junkers-type
external all-moving elevator.
I went with this for two reasons. Firstly, the endplate rudders keep the wingtip vortexes of the low-aspect wing under control. Secondly, it lets us dispense with having a reflexed airfoil and
the loss of lift. Third, the elevator is free of interference from the wing at any AOA.

Went with a high wing to give a totally clean upper surface which I'm told is best for maximum L/D efficiency.
The wing is an easy build. Spars of wood can be a single piece and all ribs are the same. No fuss.
Alternatively, it could be built as a single foam and fiberglass piece.

Landing visibility is very good. All-around visibility is pretty good aside from where the wing blocks the upwards view.
A transparent panel can be used in the wing above the pilot if desired. Removable side doors could be
used as well in cold weather, or to reduce drag.

The 3D model uses taildragger gear but tricycle may be a better choice.
Either way I want it to be able to take off from unprepared surfaces.

The takeoff run will likely be fairly short. STOL may be possible with the addition of a full-length leading edge

slat. I don't yet know if the elevator has enough leverage for the AOA STOL would require.

So, what changes do you guys think it would need to be viable?

Back