Quantcast

REFERENCES BOOKS AVAILABLE TO MEMBERS

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

SVSUSteve

These are the books I have available if anyone needs me to look something up in them. The ones marked with an asterisk (*) are hard copy only.
Thurston: Design for Flying*
Thurston: Design for Safety* (I keep joking that I need to write an updated version of this)

A. J. Kundu: Aircraft Design (Cambridge Aerospace Series)
Langton, Clark, Hewitt and Richards: Aircraft Fuel Systems
Aircraft Performance and Design

Hollman: Modern Aerodynamic Flutter Analysis
Russell: Performance and Stability of Aircraft
Aerodynamic Design of Transport Aircraft

Schlichting and Truckenbrodt: Aerodynamics of the Airplane
Dingle and Tooley: Aircraft Engineering Principles
Smith: Aircraft Noise (Cambridge Aerospace Series)
Peery: Aircraft Structures
Aircraft Systems: Mechanical, Electrical and Avionics Subsystems Integration
Roskam: Airplane Aerodynamics and Performance
Roskam: Airplane Design (all parts)
Perkins and Hage: Airplane Performance, Stability, and Control
Pope: Basic Wing and Airfoil Theory
Civil Jet Aircraft Design

Niu: Composite Airframe Structures
Introduction to Aircraft Aeroelasticity and Loads
An Introduction to Aircraft Structural Analysis
Practical Guide to Airplane Performance and Design

Kuhn: Stresses in Aircraft and Shell Structures
Pazmany: Light Aircraft Design
Aerospace Engineering Desk Reference
Investigation of Aeronautical and Engineering Component Failures
Aerodynamics for Engineering Students

Torenbeek: Synthesis of Subsonic Airplane Design
Ojha: Flight Performance of Aircraft (AIAA Education Series)
Katz and Plotkin: Low-Speed Aerodynamics (2nd Ed)

Also, probably 95% of everything ever written about crash survivability and a ludicrous amount about human injury biomechanics.

This is a partial list. I will keep adding to it as I can get through my collection.

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Dang it.....I just bought the Pazmany: Light Aircraft Design book that was on ebay.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’ve heard some not-so-complentary comments about Hollman’s work. Anyone have an educated assessment of his book, Modern Aerodynamic Flutter Analysis?

BJC

SVSUSteve

I’ve heard some not-so-complentary comments about Hollman’s work. Anyone have an educated assessment of his book, Modern Aerodynamic Flutter Analysis?

BJC
I've heard the same thing. I'm not well-versed enough to judge it meaningfully.

Reactions: BJC

pictsidhe

Banned
I'll upload my list sometime.
How about an HBA lending library scheme? There are numerous members here that I'd trust to send my books back after three months. If they didn't, well, I'd just have to out them...
I have quite a few aero and other engineering books. Ones that many wouldn't want to buy for a quick look.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Hollman's Flutter Analysis book seems like just the operations manual for his flutter program. I have the book and had gotten it hoping for a very simplistic intro like his other books.

Reactions: BJC

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I gave up on Hollman after buying and going through two of his books and finding them to have many shortcuts, assuming away of effects, and other deviations from engineering rigor that can result in significant errors and product shortfalls. These large scale engineering errors have resulted in structural issues of tooled airplanes, airplanes that performed poorly and well off of forecast, and in a couple of prominent cases, scrapped projects.

While I have never gotten into his flutter book, I suspect that his playing fast and loose with good engineering practice is carried over into Flutter. I would never trust any of Hollman's guidance in anything serious - you know, like man rated airplanes.

Billski

bmcj

HBA Supporter
I gave up on Hollman after buying and going through two of his books and finding them to have many shortcuts, assuming away of effects, and other deviations from engineering rigor that can result in significant errors and product shortfalls. These large scale engineering errors have resulted in structural issues of tooled airplanes, airplanes that performed poorly and well off of forecast, and in a couple of prominent cases, scrapped projects.

While I have never gotten into his flutter book, I suspect that his playing fast and loose with good engineering practice is carried over into Flutter. I would never trust any of Hollman's guidance in anything serious - you know, like man rated airplanes.

Billski
I also have some of Hollman’s books and I completely agree with your assessment. Your first sentence says it all. I don’t like designing from assumptions. I want to see the engineering behind those assumptions before I will accept them.

SVSUSteve

Thanks to BMCJ and Rick34991, there is now a copy of Pazmany's Landing Gear Design for Light Aircraft, Volume 1 available in the library. If anyone needs anything from it, let me know and I can look it up for you.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Thanks to BMCJ and Rick34991, there is now a copy of Pazmany's Landing Gear Design for Light Aircraft, Volume 1 available in the library. If anyone needs anything from it, let me know and I can look it up for you.
Don’t forget TerryM76... he was part of this effort too!