Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rik-

I wonder if there's a way to kill the engine with a butterfly? There are videos of diesels with blown turbos running away because the turbo is feeding engine oil to burn, at least until it runs out or grenades. That could be a real problem for an airplane.
I had one of those VW Rabbit Diesels in College that did this. Come off the freeway across the GGB and the thing would keep pulling and pulling... Had to put it high gear and hit the brakes to kill the engine.

Air breather was full of oil.. Run on Diesel I think it's called.

Rik-

I believe that a lesson that everyone can learn from Peter's experience is in the area of composites, namely CF!

Everyone argues, believes and wishes that it was some magical fairy pixy dust in the composite world but Peter has shown everyone, and hopefully himself, that CF weighs the exact same as every other building material out there in the composite world.

While I do not know all the details and 246 pages of history, I feel that Peter did not use/have/take advantage of a composite's engineer who should have designed a layup schedule for the aircraft. Instead, the aircraft (it's over 1/2" thick of pure carbon in areas) was lay'd up with a similar layup schedule to E Glass construction and thus it is grossly overbuilt as evident by the results of the scale's numbers.

Conversely, everyone is calling the design a pig while in fact the construction of the first article is an overbuilt HOG! This is not to say that another unit out of the molds with a layup schedule that was properly designed and executed would not look a lot better on the scales.

Then again, maybe Peter was wanting to build a plane that was crash survivable, another theory that a lot of people believe is possible.

TFF

It’s not moving the aircraft that’s hard, it’s the psychological of Peter moving it that’s hard. Most people do what is necessary to get it done, even if they don’t like it. Hard headedness gets you a long way, but you have to recognize when it starts becoming a wall.

berridos

After such a long trip, i would, in peters skin, push the throttle forward. Its just a matter of becoming a hero and enjoy glory)

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Kind of reminds me of the Extra EA-400 which was built by Walter Extra. Extra EA-400 - Wikipedia

It also was a carbon fiber 'miracle' plane that went way overweight and ended up being 3350# empty with only a 350HP TSIO550L to push it along. A similar spec Cessna P210N (I have one) is around 1000# lighter. Walter put in a water cooled engine in order to try and gain some hp to push the tank along however this engine was finicky and caused many issues. He gave up and redeveloped the airframe for a turboprop (EA-500). However by then he was out of money and Extra went bankrupt.
I just looked. Extra appears to still be in business, building and selling airplanes and parts for them.

jandetlefsen

HBA Supporter
I just looked. Extra appears to still be in business, building and selling airplanes and parts for them.
Just happened to do the same. It seems like US investors took over the company in 2003 and the EA-500 design was sold to a Chinese buyer. Extra now only builds acro planes.

TarDevil

Just watched the video. My interpretation (at 2:43) is he intends to fly it into ground effect himself once it's relocated? Is he done working with Wasabi (or vice versa!)?
I'm inclined to think he's staying engaged with Wasabi... hence accommodating their wishes for a longer runway with emergency options. He mentioned an airport with 8.000'. I'm no longer familiar with airports in that area.
8k would, in my opinion, still be tight for flying in ground effect, which Peter does intend to do.

flywheel1935

I'm Making the Call - Building the Raptor Prototype
that's the title of PMs latest YT Video. erm, thought E & J made the call ?????
Another thought, if it came in on the expected weight, would It be able to be test flown at Cherokee ?

TFF

If he stays in Georgia he might have to go to Augusta. I would tell him to go to Alabama to Craig Field south of Birmingham. 8000ft, that is not a nest of regional or corporate, is going to be hard to find. What is in north Florida?

Steve C

The YT commenters are beating up on Wasabi pretty bad. Nobody has even considered that they may have voiced this concern on the first trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.