Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Nothing wrong having used the local airport for all that high speed testing and brief hop over the past year and a half. This aircraft is slowly being developed methodically. He did take their advice (apparently every time so far) and that continues.
So now stage two of testing.

UAVGuy

I'm guessing that the surrounding terrain is part of the issue, but the real issue is the length of the runway. Peter has shown that he can taxi the plane, get it barely airborne and then brake to make the final approach way. I'm guessing that Justin wants to be able to get the airplane barely airborne and hold it there while he gets a feel for the flight characteristics. Or maybe there isn't enough runway length cushion to get it up to speed, attempt a takeoff and be able to abort and come to a safe stop.
I nailed it. @2:00 "With an 8,000 foot runway, that is actually enough runway that you could bring the A/C into ground effect and fly for about 3,000 feet before having to put it down again."

@ 3:20 "Well, that doesn't prove that the A/C is stable in pitch. That doesn't show me how much effort it takes on the stick to keep it in stable pitch attitude."

@ 4:15 "The last thing that potentially remains is a Dutch Roll problem."

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that Justin got the plane airborne briefly and didn't like some of the flight characteristics. Thus they need a longer runway to sus some of these things out in ground effect.

Peter isn't showing us the whole story. Undoubtedly Justin got the airplane to lift off. And Peter isn't showing us that footage. Probably because negative remarks were made when it happened.

Last edited:

jwmflying14

The YT commenters are beating up on Wasabi pretty bad. Nobody has even considered that they may have voiced this concern on the first trip.
I would caveat this by emphasizing that the *unrestricted* youtube commentors are bashing Justin and Elliot.

This made me question why none of my comments on several videos ever got likes or replies. I went back to check and my comments didn't appear to be deleted, I could still see every single one. Thats when I logged off to check anonymously. Apparently Peter must have several people blocked. All of the people that suggested fixes in the past, or suggested a more suitable airport, etc. Nearly every problem Peter has encountered has been called out, but he simply blocks everyone that has anything remotely critical. This is why there is such a prominent supportive group, and very few critical comments.

That is just downright disingenuous.... Very versatile bad character traits on his part. Reminiscent of Egg IMO.

TarDevil

Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that Justin got the plane airborne briefly and didn't like some of the flight characteristics. Thus they need a longer runway to sus some of these things out in ground effect.
If so, then Justin is one helluva pilot. If that thing lifts off long enough to ascertain any flight characteristics, it would be flying in ground effect 20 kts or so above stall speed. Getting it down and stopped in 5 thousand feet would be quite a feat. Peter was leaning on the brakes pretty firm just popping the mains off for a split second.

pictsidhe

I would caveat this by emphasizing that the *unrestricted* youtube commentors are bashing Justin and Elliot.

This made me question why none of my comments on several videos ever got likes or replies. I went back to check and my comments didn't appear to be deleted, I could still see every single one. Thats when I logged off to check anonymously. Apparently Peter must have several people blocked. All of the people that suggested fixes in the past, or suggested a more suitable airport, etc. Nearly every problem Peter has encountered has been called out, but he simply blocks everyone that has anything remotely critical. This is why there is such a prominent supportive group, and very few critical comments.

That is just downright disingenuous.... Very versatile bad character traits on his part. Reminiscent of Egg IMO.
Boku was the last HBA commenter not blocked from the Craptor YouTube comments. I've mostly stopped watching them.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
8,000'+ that's not military or heavy commercial? Crestview. I don't know what kind of volume JAX has these days so that's possible.

I still think Huntsville is a as good as anything.
I'm struggling to figure out where this 8K' field is. There's nothing like that in Georgia that isn't military or Hartsfield. And Huntsville is one of those places that is nearby by air, but a more difficult "get" on the ground.

pictsidhe

If so, then Justin is one helluva pilot. If that thing lifts off long enough to ascertain any flight characteristics, it would be flying in ground effect 20 kts or so above stall speed. Getting it down and stopped in 5 thousand feet would be quite a feat. Peter was leaning on the brakes pretty firm just popping the mains off for a split second.
He wouldn't need to be airbourne long to notice some particularly unpleasant characteristics.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I'm struggling to figure out where this 8K' field is. There's nothing like that in Georgia that isn't military or Hartsfield. And Huntsville is one of those places that is nearby by air, but a more difficult "get" on the ground.
Might not need 8000' hard surface with suitable overruns.

MolsonB

I'd be pissed if I was Justin & Elliott for the way they are portrayed in the video title / bashing comments. Making it sound like "I (Peter) made the call, and the test pilots don't know what they are talking about." Even though within the video he said he's taking the advice of the test pilots.

It's a shame. Ego kills pilots. I know people were joking many years ago saying one wheel off, then two wheels, then three wheels. Then comes ground effect, then trying flying. Sadly it's coming true.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Question - is there a public source to find out who the DAR was for the Raptor? I know most of the locals and am wondering who did the inspection.

Erik Snyman

I had one of those VW Rabbit Diesels in College that did this. Come off the freeway across the GGB and the thing would keep pulling and pulling... Had to put it high gear and hit the brakes to kill the engine.

Air breather was full of oil.. Run on Diesel I think it's called.
HAHAHAHAHA.........I had the same experience with my university ride, a car called a VW Golf diesel . Same car, different name. All of 1500cc. Very econommical, 27 km/l at 100 km/h.
Erik in Oz.

UAVGuy

Then maybe that was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.