Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.

UAVGuy

No he doesn't, and the "whys" has been convered more than enough over the last 4.5 years and some 5000 posts.
Because he made decisions that the "experts" here didn't agree with ? Because he disobeyed some of the "rules" ? I don't agree with a lot of what Peter has done. But that doesn't mean I'm right and he is wrong. This story isn't done yet.

There are no points for being a critic. Anyone can be a critic.

BJC

HBA Supporter
He might not have built the perfect plane or even a good plane, but he did not quit and he followed it through to the end.
I disagree; this project has not yet reached the end.
This story isn't done yet.
I agree. There are several potential resolutions, none of which is likely to produce a kitplane that will come anywhere near the cost and performance claims.

BJC

Deuelly

Log Member
I'm not saying that I agree with everything Peter does, but let's give him a heap of praise for not quitting and not giving up. He might not have built the perfect plane or even a good plane, but he did not quit and he followed it through to the end. For that he deserves pretty high praise.
When you follow something through to the end using other people's money it's called a job. Hes just doing his job.

Brandon

cheapracer

Log Member
Because he made decisions that the "experts" here didn't agree with ? Because he disobeyed some of the "rules" ?
No, because to this point he has produced an overweight, poorly built vehicle wasting at least $2.5 million of other people's money and 7 years to get nowhere.

There are no points for being a critic. Anyone can be a critic.
Anyone can be, but I hold the values of about a half dozen or so Members here to be realistic who have successfully built commercial aircraft, parts or the servicing of, for a living, and others who are successful business people (principles don't change lmost regardless of product), or engineers in at least some related fields.

Those half dozen or so Member's independent opinions, and my own independent opinions on the project have been consistently inline with each other, without any colusion.

The Guy's current position of being 1 person bumbling along with a profound lack of knowlege and terrible workmanship for a multi million dollar project (and for some time now), is clear evidence of his inability to manage the project.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

Seems to me that they bought in the chase plane means they were prepared for flight
Could also mean that they knew a flight wasn’t going to happen and for just a day or two visit the convenience and speed of flying themselves in and out made sense. Either way, we’ll probably never know.

flywheel1935

BoKu said:
I wonder how kit builders are expected to do it?

Do we all really expect that the Raptor will be available as a 'Kit Aircraft', Whilst I feel for Peter, he's no Burt Rutan, Randy Schilter, Van Wotsit etc.
It's just one mans dream, that's now a nightmare. If/when he wakes up, smells the coffee, he might just come to his senses and go back to IT, or offer the project to a team that can actually take it forwards. No mention yet on his YT Channel that the boys have headed home :-(

donjohnston

Wings come off, but the move from the "shop" to the airport proved shipping the "vehicle" anywhere of distance will be a non-trival endeavor
I guess it depends on the definition of "trival".
I moved mine from Illinois to FL. Cost less than $1,000.
Moving this thing to Huntsville (12,000' runway with open land around) shouldn't be too much trouble.

Turd Ferguson

Sure, it can be disassembled and moved. It will be time consuming and costly but more importantly it's a huge mental/emotional setback. In PM's mind, the plane is ready to fly - or has flown so move to another location might throw PM over the cliff. He's got to work through the Elisabeth Kübler-Ross stages of grief, regroup and decide what to do. I'm sure the option to push the throttle forward and go for it will be very strong.

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
Kind of reminds me of the Extra EA-400 which was built by Walter Extra. Extra EA-400 - Wikipedia

It also was a carbon fiber 'miracle' plane that went way overweight and ended up being 3350# empty with only a 350HP TSIO550L to push it along. A similar spec Cessna P210N (I have one) is around 1000# lighter. Walter put in a water cooled engine in order to try and gain some hp to push the tank along however this engine was finicky and caused many issues. He gave up and redeveloped the airframe for a turboprop (EA-500). However by then he was out of money and Extra went bankrupt.

Steve C

I wonder if there's a way to kill the engine with a butterfly? There are videos of diesels with blown turbos running away because the turbo is feeding engine oil to burn, at least until it runs out or grenades. That could be a real problem for an airplane.

Last edited:

narfi

Log Member
(Long time listener, first time caller)

What's preventing Peter from making the first test flight on his own?
Legally nothing.
Realistically, experience.
Even the proven similar canard designs are fast high performance planes that require experience to fly safely. This one is unproven with those same dangers as well as its unknown dangers.

Status
Not open for further replies.