Quantcast

Raptor Composite Aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
If you watch the first video, he seems to indicate dissatisfaction with no rudder authority at 40(?) knots.
I didn't hear any dissatisfaction. He said there appeared to be rudder authority but he wasn't sure. (inaudible, but I assume he said it could be the nose wheel giving the authority at low speed)

SuperSpinach

They are in a no win scenario:. No credit for an "unpopular" safety call; but don't want to die either.
Do they even care though ? All those people bashing them in the comments have no idea what they are talking about and I'd bet that most of them don't even fly. What kind of influence do they have ?
But as you said, in the end it seems like a whole lot of risks for not much reward, if any...

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I don't think they have one.
One what do they not have?

The airplane is N352TD. Look it up on the FAA website, then request the records (for the aforementioned $10). You'll get a copy of the AC and the OL's, both of which do have the DAR's name on them (along with other docs). I've seen them both, and both of which expire on 8/27/2020 and will need to be renewed prior to that date, since it's an Exp. R&D aircraft.

cheapracer

Log Member
Beating up on Wasabi is unfortunate. They are in a no win scenario:. No credit for an "unpopular" safety call; but don't want to die either.
I just watched it, don't think it's as bad as some are making out. The Wasabi Bashers are clearly uninformed 'wanna-bes' judging by their simplistic statements, while the "in support of the move" Posters are obviously calmer and more informed about the risks.

I also don't believe for a moment those Wasabi Bashing Posters are purchasers of this, or any aircraft.

Unimpressed by the Raptor Guy talking out the scenarios like it's his knowledge base seemingly taking the credit for it, but obviously parroting what Wasabi have discussed as the potential issues.

I don't believe for a moment that Wasabi hadn't evaluated the runway length previously, and as we are sitting here as 3rd Parties looking in, knowledge about transfer of information is limited to what we are offered, but we do know that the Raptor Guy hasn't been forthcoming with the complete picture previously.

SuperSpinach

Speaking of Wanna Bes'; you wouldn't be referring to either of the two who didn't go to TPS at Edwards or Patuxent....would ya? I don't think I have ever seen "Wanna Bes'" like these fist pumping hotdogs!
Are you referring to Justin and Elliot ?

Have you ever checked what Elliot did in his life ? I'd much rather do what he does (and what he did) rather than go to a Test Pilot School...
I hardly believe that they qualify as Wanna bes considering they do what they want and don' t speculate about things they don't know anything about.

cheapracer

Log Member
Speaking of Wanna Bes'; you wouldn't be referring to either of the two who didn't go to TPS at Edwards or Patuxent....would ya?
Presuming you are referring to team Wasabi, I don't know "those two", nor their credentials. Any comment on Wasabi from me has to do with the 'made public information to date' I have to hand. The items they felt needed attending to on the Raptor were reasonable, the decision that the runway is too short and the dangers lurking further were also reasonable, and everything inline with the thoughts of many here and elsewhere.

If I disagree with anything they have positioned themselves with, I would be quite happy to make comment towards that, but until now, that hasn't been the case.

If you have something you feel makes them "Wanna Bes" on topic in relation to the Raptor program, please state your case for reviewing in the interests of Members here who may consider procuring their services in the future .....

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Speaking of Wanna Bes'; you wouldn't be referring to either of the two who didn't go to TPS at Edwards or Patuxent....would ya? I don't think I have ever seen "Wanna Bes'" like these fist pumping hotdogs!
There are many discrete positions in a formal flight test organization - pilots are but one. There are also Test Directors, Test Conductors, Flight Test Engineers, and several others that are essential and very active participants in a flight. Though a "patch wearing" (TPS grad) pilot is certainly a valuable individual and generally gets all the credit, their singular presence does not make a test program. What makes a test program is the discipline to create a safe environment and the skill to execute the the test points and collect data. IMHO, one does not need a patch from Pax or EDW to evaluate, create, and execute a test program for Raptor.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
... are aware of the social media ramblings, and are forming a response.
Anyone with much knowledge of flying, test flying, and this particular situation already understands. The YouTube mob? You’re not gonna convince them anyway and they are not Wasabi’s customers, so why bother?

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It might help to simulate Raptor at current weight in X-Plane. Get some data on takeoff distance, climb and best glide speed, aileron authority, etc.

pictsidhe

We don't know the power. Peter has been estimating it from fuel flow, using BSFC numbers that some of us oily guys are rather skeptical about.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
We almost never know the exact power on conversions, but roll rate, stall speed and best glide speed, sink rate in a turn and more can be looked at. If the prop diameter and pitch are entered X-Plane will estimate power.