Project roll call

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Nov 1, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 1, 2018 #1

BJC

BJC

BJC

A thread where you can share what you want to, or are, designing, building or flying.

This is not intended to compete with the thread that asks what you have done on your project.

I’m super-slow building a Glasair Super II FT.

I want to design a light weight, composite, shoulder wing, pusher that can be flown with an enclosed cockpit or a totally open forward fuselage similar to a go cart.

BJC

jedi likes this.
  2. Nov 1, 2018 #2

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

I am building a fiberglass two seat side-by low wing airplane of my own design. It is intended as a roomy and fast cross country ship for two with lots of useful baggage space that can also do loops and rolls. Fuselage tub, wings, and horizontal tail are built. Forward and aft decks, roof and gullwing doors, are built but not yet installed while systems are going in. Vertical tail is not yet built, but will not be installed until after the bottom surfaces are faired - the vertical tail inteferes with inverting the fusealge. Wing tips and top stub wing skins are yet to be installed.

Only the most airplane crazy, ambitious, and insane engineer experienced in design and construction with the chosen material set should ever attempt this. It is a time eater and slow progress project because every thing you figure out, analyze, and then work out the construction of spawns two more things... But it is still the most rewarding thing I have done.

Next airplane is likely to be a Steve Wittman design. Have not decided if it will be a Buttercup or a Tailwind...

Billski

BJC likes this.
  3. Nov 1, 2018 #3

Chilton

Chilton

Chilton

Major rebuild, Auster J1/N, really Dads plane but doing most off the work.
    Recover, Tiger Moth, was flying but 30 year old linen fabric so needs a change.
    Hangar rash repairs, Chilton DW/1, was flying but I moved to Africa for 2 years.... About 16 years ago!
    Design, I got a few drawings and pictures of the 2 seater Chilton aircraft were building before WW2 and am working on getting the structure checked to build one under LAA in the uk.

Too many projects and not enough time!

BJC likes this.
  4. Nov 1, 2018 #4

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    I hope it is OK to ask for additional information on projects without creating excessive thread drift.

Please give a few details of "Glasair Super II FT" versus sportsman. This is a Glasair II low wing. What does "Super" and "II FT" imply. When was project ordered?

I find your other project even more interesting. "I want to design a light weight, composite, shoulder wing, pusher that can be flown with an enclosed cockpit or a totally open forward fuselage similar to a go cart."

Is it single seat? If not side by side I assume. Is power known?

5. Nov 1, 2018 #5

BJC

BJC

BJC

Absolutely OK.

Just before S-H went into bankruptcy. The “Super” denotes the final configuration of the four cylinder Glasair. The original was widened and made taller, becoming the -II. That version was lengthened behind the cockpit, becoming the -II S (Stretched). That version had a CG range that limited the baggage capacity. That was addressed by another stretch, in front of the wing, plus a larger horizontal stabilizer, plus a repositioning of the wing. That version was initially called a Super II S, but the trailing S was dropped. The FT refers to Fixed Tricycle landing gear.

I actually completed a design for that back about 1982. It was designed as a single seat, but the steel tube fuselage cage was designed to incorporate a second, tandem, seat. The wing was cantilever aluminum, intended to be fabric covered. The tail boom was an aluminum tube. I looked at several engines. There was a 4 cycle 2 cylinder opposed, geared engine available back then. Planned on updraft cooling, with the intakes under the wing roots. Empty weight calculated to be in the 350 pound range. I would need to dig out lots of old drawings and calculations to report the exact number. Span of the tapered wing was in the 25 to 26 foot range. The steel tube cage was to have a very light fiberglass shell enclosing the bottom. The conventional LG was to be aluminum bar.

I would like to design something similar, but strictly single seat, in composites.

BJC

jedi likes this.
  6. Nov 1, 2018 #6

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Three cheers for anyone with an Auster !!! I had one for a short time many years ago (J1 Autocrat). Here is a link to the 2-part story I wrote about bringing it home:

https://www.grantstar.net/index.php...n-adventure-stories/40-the-auster-hassle.html

https://www.grantstar.net/index.php...re-stories/41-the-auster-hassle-part-two.html

Anyone here need a set of Whitworth wrenches?

As for the OP subject, I have two airplanes. My "main squeeze" is a 1956 Cessna 172, flyable (out of annual), runs perfect, needs paint.

My "other woman" is a Kolb Firestar 2 modified with an HKS 60HP 4-stroke engine and extended bush gear. Was flown with a Rotax 447 before I got it, but I wanted a 4-stroke because I am flying out of a dense city airport. Took a long time to get it all set up and working with the 4-stroke, test flew it 8 or 10 times, and took it apart again to find the cause of it not meeting its "normal" performance. Getting close to resuming the flight test, probably within a couple of weeks.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    BJC likes this.
  7. Nov 1, 2018 #7

slevair

slevair

slevair

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Building a Davis DA2 LS (light sport) with a Rotax 912 and one bay (~16") span increase per side. Also have a complete Quickie kit near fully formed to the block sanding stage for a later time.

wsimpso1 and BJC like this.
  8. Nov 1, 2018 #8

billyvray

billyvray

billyvray

got any more to share? Pics? Design changes to accommodate the span increase?

That sounds like a good idea.

9. Nov 1, 2018 #9

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Tiger Tim

Not doing much fun flying these days, and right on the cusp of starting a very casual Pietenpol Sky Scout build.

cdlwingnut and BJC like this.
  10. Nov 1, 2018 #10

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I'm flying the RV-6 I finished 18 years ago. I put 4 1/2 hours and 700 nautical miles on it last Sunday.

I'm working to finish an RV-10. The airplane is on-gear, engine mounted, fairings complete, doing cosmetic finish work on the cowling currently. Next, I'll do the final door and cabin top cosmetics. I have to finish this stuff relatively soon or the weather will get too cold here to easily play with fiberglass or spray primer/paint, since the project is in the unheated garage.

The Champ project is at a standstill. I rebuilt the wings, they have new spars, new leading edges, and more than a few other new parts in addition to the re-used and repaired parts.

The Hatz project has been parked for some time. The wing ribs are done other than the 4 outboard ribs. All of the centersection parts are finished. The Hatz mostly lives in a box in my basement.

But my main project is Alex, our 7 year old son. He's a riot. Brilliant, but a bit ornery.

cdlwingnut and BJC like this.
  11. Nov 1, 2018 #11

Dana

Dana

Dana

Super Moderator Staff Member

I'm flying the Hatz biplane I bought recently after realizing the Starduster project (damaged in an off airport landing) wasn't going to get finished soon, if ever, too many other [non airplane] projects, gotta keep the wife happy. The Starduster is for sale...

BJC likes this.
  12. Nov 1, 2018 #12

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

LOL, as a rank amateur, I sure get this. Whenever I start reading up on something new, I am usually confronted by two things: how much I don't know; and how rusty my math skills are. Neither of those problems are insurmountable, as they are solved by further study, but the time sure adds up! It sure would be much faster and easier to unroll one of the several sets of plans I have accumulated and just start making parts.

And this is what has me blow the dust off my books, open up a spreadsheet, and keep chipping away. I enjoy the accomplishment of making the next milestone. I can only imagine what it must feel like to have a flying contraption conjured up from my own imagination and toil.

So here is what I have going:
    Fly2kads_Supervee-6b.jpg
    It's a single seat VW-powered sport plane, using Ed Fisher's Supervee rules as a jumping off point. The design inspiration is the Goodyear racers of the late 1940s and early 1950s. I have a VW engine in my garage that begs to be put to use, and this is what keeps calling to me.

I have gone through first passes of performance, stability and control, interior layout, weight and balance. I have a preliminary structural layout, but no sizing. I have developed my own laminar flow airfoil.

My plan from here is to do a second, more refined pass through everything before doing the detailed design work. I don't have a lot of free time, so this is a painfully slow process.

raymondbird and BJC like this.
  13. Nov 1, 2018 #13

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Been slow going, as I changed jobs, but Tailwind is getting closer.... well one forward and some back. Cubby has radio issues, which the brown shirts don’t find amusing being close to DC.
    But each are making headway.

BJC likes this.
  14. Nov 2, 2018 #14

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Still chugging along on an RV-7. I’m thinking 3 years or so to go.

If I ever get around to designing something it’ll be in riveted aluminum; I understand the benefits of composites but metal stress analysis and design is about at my limit, besides being all tooled up for it already.

BJC likes this.
  15. Nov 2, 2018 #15

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Currently:

- rebuilding a Harmon Rocket II
    - Maintaining/flying a RV-8
    - Maintaining/flying a prewar Taylorcraft (Engine overhaul on the horizon)
    - reassembling an L39C

Had dreams to:

Design and build a comfortable, fast, long endurance 2 place "personal airliner" for me and my wife to see the country. Thanks in part to hitting the big 50 this year, my profession at a major aerospace design house, and many of the personal projects illustrated on this site, it just doesnt make sense to pursue this dream. Its a resource suck, and I am very much aware that I'd rather spend my remaining years flying with my wife and my freinds than putter around the workshop. While there are no designs on the market that exactly match my requirements, I doubt that "my" design would be a compelling improvement over existing products. Not enough to justify the resources, anyway.

I've simply come to the realization that I like to fabricate, but I LOVE to travel by light airplane. Theres only so much time left... Got to choose wisely.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    MadRocketScientist and BJC like this.
  16. Nov 2, 2018 #16

slevair

slevair

slevair

DA 2 LS 3.JPG Short story is I'm building the optional 9G spars and down rating them for the extra length.

17. Nov 2, 2018 #17

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Complete redesign and build of the structure of the Carbon Dragon to aluminum and adding an engine for launch. Having loads of fun.

pictsidhe and BJC like this.
  18. Nov 2, 2018 #18

don january

don january

don january

Been passing by the Taylor-mono plane way too much this summer but by golly its getting closer day by day and with winter back I can share more of the build experience with who ever follows. Still stacking parts for the PDQ.

BJC likes this.
  19. Nov 2, 2018 #19

bifft

bifft

bifft

Test flying my RV-8A. Still opening up the envelope, getting some preliminary performance data.

BJC likes this.
  20. Nov 2, 2018 #20

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Designing and building Expedition “on the fly”, as it were. Still building the prototype wing, but moved and struggling to get started again.

Bern dinking around with a wooden Patrol knockoff that I’m jokingly calling Timberhawk Journey, but the name kinda sticks in my gourd and I sorta like it,

BJC likes this.