Project roll call

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by BJC, Nov 1, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Nov 2, 2018 #21

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Yep, that is pretty accurate.
    I've had some engineering schooling, but not a degree. I am a self-teacher, so i know a helluva lot more than my CV suggests.

I was working on a flying wing, but have back burnered that as it was taking a crazy amount of learning to work out how to do it.

I decided it would be easier to build a more conventional plane. In fact, I decided it would be easiest to cheat and just scale one down to 103 size.

Enter my 2/3 scale Hurricane Mk103. Oh boy, it's not proving easy, either. Being a glutton for punishment, I have decided it would be a totally awesome idea to use a material unknown in the aviation world: Coroplast. Cue more learning and research into stressing, forming and bonding the stuff. I did design a horizontal stabiliser recently, but my engineering is rusty and working out how to analyse a monocoque was really, really tedious. So I'm taking a break form design work to digest Kuhn's 'Stresses in aircraft and shell structures'. Owing to a particularly busy life right now, I'm mostly reading that at work in break times. Assuming that no-one is loudly playing awful youtube stuff on their phone :angry: At least the woman who blared out Spanish Christian stuff all break is no longer there...

Chris In Marshfield and BJC like this.
  2. Nov 3, 2018 #22

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Still plugging away on my ultra piet. Building wings now.

If i take the journey again when I am done with the piet i am looking at fisher flyings super koala.

Tiger Tim and BJC like this.
  3. Nov 3, 2018 #23

specter22

specter22

specter22

Slowly plugging away at my KR2 project; it lives a state away currently. Actively looking for a house with a garage so the plane can move in with me. In the meantime, I'm taking a tig welding class at my local CC, and sometime in the future I'd like to use that to build a high wing rag and tube plane.

FritzW, cdlwingnut and BJC like this.
  4. Nov 3, 2018 #24

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

I am rebuilding a damaged Zigolo MG-12. Just need to rebuild the fuselage and tailboom area than put it back together. I work on it 2 evenings a week so its slow going but it gives me something to look forward to each day.

My dad just drug home a J4 Kitten Sportster so will likely help him with that a bit.

I also am working on my website lately to get it launched to offer the Raceair Skylite and Lil Bitts plans. I had to redo a few sheets but just got my first test prints back this week and will be shipping out a few for those waiting next week. Website shoudl be up in the next 2 weeks. When the Zigolo is done will build a skylite with my dad.

I am already putting things in place for the airplane after the Skylite and it will be my own design derived from a few others powered by a Pegasus DP1 if all goes well.

Marc

BJC likes this.
  5. Nov 3, 2018 #25

BJC

BJC

BJC

Nice build blog.

BJC

specter22 likes this.
  6. Nov 3, 2018 #26

raymondbird

raymondbird

raymondbird

Love your design but looks like an RV3. Why not go with that?

7. Nov 3, 2018 #27

TFF

TFF

TFF

In the words of Maxwell Smart, "Missed it by that much." The plan was to have the Starduster SA100 flying in the spring, but it's going to be short this year. Some lazy, some money. This is truly a spare of spare money project. Paint cowl and turtledeck; paint bought at Oshkosh for $10. Some engine bearings and some silk thread will get the engine put back together. Need a carb and carb heat/ filter box and some AN bolts. The rest is just an assembly project.

BJC likes this.
  8. Nov 3, 2018 #28

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Just finished a chapter built Waiex. Have a half finished Neirrh sitting in the garage (my own design/delusion (potato/patato) ;) ) I have a 3/4 finished Ultra Pup and 1/4 finished VW Fisher Youngster in the hangar and a light weight/quick build VP-2 wing on the CNC machine as we speak.

Next up is going to be a part 103 ultralight. Either a 3 axis tandem wing (Piojo) or a conventional layout "Columbus Explorer". ...it depends on how 'froggy' I feel when I fly the Neirrh :gig:

As soon as the Waiex (my current obligation) is out of the way we'll bring in a 90% finished CH-701 and get it flying. The Waiex and the 701 are going to be the "seed airplanes" for our new chapter flying club.

cdlwingnut, Pops and BJC like this.
  9. Nov 4, 2018 #29

stevel

stevel

stevel

Just getting started on a Challenger II.

BJC likes this.
  10. Nov 4, 2018 #30

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

You mentioned in your blog that your designing a prop in CAD. How's that coming along? Props are my 'holy grail' in CAD/CAM work. I can make the blades and the hub but I can't get the two to make a proper looking prop. I hope you'll document all that in your blog.

11. Nov 4, 2018 #31

specter22

specter22

specter22

FritzW, it's coming along fairly well. That's the main problem I had as well - it took a bit of trial and error, and a lot more learning about how lofts work than I wanted to know. The short answer is, I didn't make the hub separate - I used sketches at various stations, all the way in to 10% of the diameter, and set the loft to be normal to the final sketch. I've been trying to come up with something to post on the blog, as lately progress has been slow - detailing the prop design is a great idea for a few posts. Give me a couple days, and I'll get the first one up.

12. Nov 4, 2018 #32

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out.

13. Apr 13, 2019 #33

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I'm building a Hummelbird, 888 hours over 18 months so far, putting skins on the wing center section now. Changed the airfoil to a Riblett 30GA613.5 with leading edge fuel tanks, no plans for either modification (but Hummel says they're approved modifications), so it's a little slow going at the moment, but hope to fly it this year.

14. Apr 13, 2019 #34

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I am designing an assembly line factory on paper with some robotic integration of bottleneck areas, to build one single "designed for streamlined mass production" cheap ultralight kit for the masses.

Basically, don't build a machine, build the machine to build a machine designed specifically for mass production. You then have to consider a whole new set of things then. Not just how to make a part, but how can this part be made by a robot or a person fast, accurate, interchangable, stackable, movable, simple, user servicable, etc. You know, like Colt and Winchester did.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that building an airplane at home all by yourself fabricating every single part by yourself is well, rather crude, slow, and a stupid way to go about producing anything.

It's kind of new to me and a learning curve, since I have no factory or assembly line experience or exposure, but like, so what. Neither did Schindler, Ford, Tramiel, etc. I didn't know anything about computer hacking when I started either. Dive right in and learn.

If robots and assembly line workers can build cars, robots and assembly line workers can build airplanes. Robots building things seems a super cheap way to produce a lot of wealth, as long as you can keep feeding the machine with raw materials and demand for your product. I think Quicksilver and Woodhopper pioneered ultralight mass production in the 80's, so I don't have to blaze a new trail.

Possible product candidates I'm considering are something similar to a B1RD; an autogyro; a paramotor; primary glider; microlight trike; or RC jet hang glider; or quadcopter vehicle. Any self proclaimed aviation engineer here think they have the where with all to design such a better flying machine mousetrap, designed from the ground up to be mass produced by automated machines or dedicated work stations to produce just that part alone quickly, with forgiving flying characteristics amiable to beginner pilots, hit me up. You should have a knack to bum parts count down like Woz and be conscious of every penny like Herd...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    delta likes this.
  15. Apr 13, 2019 #35

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

D Hillberg

After designing the Jet Exec*, Rotormouse**, 1/2 scale AH-1. Skyshark and a med deck mod (stc) for the Robinson R-44 & R-66.
    I've built more then most and not as much as some o_O
    * flown/100 kits:D
    ** flown :eek:

16. Apr 13, 2019 #36

Geraldc

Geraldc

Geraldc

Currently building a Serge Pennec designed Gazaile 2. 60% done 90% to go.

17. Apr 13, 2019 #37

trifoils

trifoils

trifoils

More ultralights than I can possibly maintain, the Dragonfly mutant still on the back burner, a hoop tent worthy of plant 42, and a giant pasture....

18. Apr 14, 2019 #38

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

I’m well along the way with a CX-4 project that I started several years ago. I’ve got a flying 1947 Champ that Bill Pancake built back in 1992. Many reasons why the 4 is on hold due to rebuilding a T-210M from stem to stern now with 28.5 hours on a factory reman. Last year, while installing that new engine, I had the experience of seven treatments of chemotherapy. My latest project involves rebuilding my lawnmower; a 1995 Dixie Chopper that would easily cost 10 AMUs to replace but I’m going to be completely new for right at 2. I’m close to picking up the tools, I think I pulled everything out of the box, and cleaning the hangar. My yard and the runway needs mowing! I plan to burn a bunch of avgas going 200 mph in comfort this year and get heavily involved in getting down the road on the 4. Did I mention that I’m working on my third Eagle’s Nest RV-12 at our high school?

19. Apr 15, 2019 #39

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

MadProfessor8138

I've got 3 aviation related projects going at this time......

1. I'm building a Roger Mann Ragwing Stork RW19.
    I have a build log on the Forum if anyone wants to check out my progress.

2. I'm working on my 78 Piper Tomahawk trying to freshen it up.
    It's in the shop right now for its Annual.
    Have low compression on one cylinder but hopefully it is just carbon hanging the valve open a bit.
    Now that the storms have passed I should be able to get it out of the shop to fire it up and hopefully clear the valve seat.

3. I'm also designing a scaled down A-10 Warthog whenever I have a few spare minutes at night.
    I've got the majority of the plane designed but I'm still working on a few bothersome details.

Kevin

billyvray likes this.