Norms flying Boat

Discussion in 'Bush / Float flying' started by Norm Langlois, Feb 20, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 23, 2018 #161

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

53908887-795B-4A10-A402-E9B2F8C5B2AB.jpg The new hull covered with Kevlar instead of glass. The final weight is 16.8 lbs. I will be adding some . I expect about another lb. If I had used 2 lb foam it would be over 27 lbs and I would be struggling to make weight . I am sure to breeze in under 304 lbs .That is max weight for this seaplane to qualify as a 103 -7 compliant.

Wayne likes this.
  2. Aug 25, 2018 #162

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

I bought a new digital scale . Weighs up to 660 lbs. with very little error. I’m not going to make claims of certified weights . But then what is certified with a plus or minus 5 Lbs. That was my weigh in this spring on the salvage yard scales. These new scales are to .01 lb
    So I will call it good when my totals are now 273.8 lbs
    It will be going up a bit with paint and instrument panel . It will surely come in lower than the best original weight.
    I moved the pilots position 9 inches forward. So also is the hull weight though it is far less a contribution to the balance. Still not out of the woods with this.

3. Aug 26, 2018 #163

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Edit the post above error the weight is not 273.8 its 294 I left out something during the addition.

4. Aug 29, 2018 #164

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

127_0244.jpg 127_0243.jpg Its back on . The new total weight is 296.5 lbs with the paint and windshield adhesive. Yes that's what holds the foam hull to the boom.

5. Sep 10, 2018 #165

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

I crashed the plane yesterday. The damage is limited to the new forward main hull and the rudder pedal support also in that area. I flew it once and was pleased with the hull performance it was fast and maneuverable up on plane, plenty of rudder control. On a second run with a cross wind influence, I was not being attentive. Shortly after lift off it rolled and dove into the water, folding the hull up on me. I got wet and bruised Im fine other wise. This pilot error and my age. I have lost my ability to stay ahead of the plane and conditions. I promised my family not to fly as pilot in command. ( this plane )
    This project need a new owner .

6. Sep 10, 2018 #166

narfi

narfi

narfi

Sorry to hear it ended like that for you :(
    I am glad you are ok though!
    13years is a lot of fun and experiences you got from the project, and it has been interesting for me to follow along with your progress each year.
    Thank you for that :)

7. Sep 10, 2018 #167

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Sorry to hear about your incident. You had achieved success and some good flights in your own design. Doesn't get much better than that.

8. Sep 11, 2018 #168

BJC

BJC

BJC

Glad that you are OK Norm. Stay active. Get another project.

BJC

BoKu likes this.
  9. Sep 12, 2018 #169

WBNH

WBNH

WBNH

Hope you keep building. If not the UL, then something else. Love the ingenuity, and your skill working light aluminum is evident. It's been great following along. Thank you for sharing all this while.

10. Sep 12, 2018 #170

TFF

TFF

TFF

Glad you are ok.

BoKu likes this.
  11. Sep 12, 2018 #171

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Awww, this is my all time favourite projects on here. And I'm not even into seaplanes! Not just another plans built *yawn* but a truly innovative own design, built with sweat and experiment.
    I'm glad that you are OK-ish. I also hope that SWMBO lets you fly at least something boring ;)

BoKu likes this.
  12. Sep 13, 2018 #172

larr

larr

larr

Glad that you're OK, although it's a sad end to a long time project.
    Your description of the crash sounds more like a stall though.

It's great that you had an idea and saw it through. It's also great that you knew enough, or knew when to ask in order to get it done.

Overall, I think you should try again. Just fly on calm days.

delta likes this.
  13. Sep 13, 2018 #173

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

addicted2climbing

Hello Norm,

So sorry to hear you crashed your airplane and have decided to sell. This was an amazing project to watch come to fruition and so innovative as well. Maybe take some time off to make sure selling is what you really want to do.

However, on another note, I am very interested in getting more info on your roll former you made. I have a similar need and have been researching building one. I need to bend a simple profile in .020" 5052-H32 sheet to be used as my rib raw stock. I just need straight pieces 48" long. The ribs are then formed by crimping the flange causing the rib to bow and take the airfoil shape. I think a tool like your is exactly what I need to build. My needs are a bit more toward production which makes making a tool make sense instead of just making one set of ribs. I also was thinking I could 3D print my rollers if anything to do quick R&D to hone in on the proper wheel profile. Once it works I could get steel wheels made.

If your open to sharing your design I would be very interested.

Here is the profile I need. Pretty much an L with an added 45 degree along the edge.

Skylite Rib Assy - Pic 2.jpg Skylite Rib Assy - Pic 1.jpg Skylite Rib Assy - Pic 3.jpg

Best regards,

Marc

jedi likes this.
  14. Sep 13, 2018 #174

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Sorry to hear about the crash, hope things are recoverable in some form. Following the thread has opened up my interest in little flying boats for sure.

15. Sep 14, 2018 #175

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Thanks all for you well wish's . I am fine had a few more sore spots show up. I guess stopping a 500lb. mass at 30 mph makes for some sore spots. the hull did fold up and crush me in the seat. The plane did not suffer much damage only the main hull. I should not expect a hull to come through undamaged anyway,form such a crash. It is because this is the second time I crashed nose first that I have had enough. As I said before it is pilot error this time and the other. I'm to old and not sharp enough to react or stay ahead of the plane. I was asked to go back to work for part time I found it difficult to keep focus on the machining so it must be me . 20180913_092920.jpg 20180913_092907.jpg

16. Sep 30, 2018 #176

jedi

jedi

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
    A great accomplishment Norm and all is well that ends well. And this may not be the end. I see there is interest in your construction methods and you are more or less fine. Wish you had the Paul Weston hull details as mentioned. Review the video of his crash to see how he bounced off the water in his stall spin entry. Do not think this was entirely your problem. It is the state of the art aircraft design that denies the fact that low speed aerodynamics can and should be improved as presented in other threads on HBA.

Even if you do not rebuild I hope to see a continuing interest and your comments here and at EAA.org. You have contributed to aviation and I and others want to thank you for that. Enjoy your retirement doing whatever it is that pleases you.

With regards to the "so it must be me" comment. I do not believe it. I think the truth is you are more interested in aviation than in machining. Follow your heart. Machining is simply a means to an end. If you are done, sell your machine to Cloud Base Engineering or contract to manufacture his rib material. Four foot lengths will ship easily. Please let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  17. Feb 10, 2019 #177

lr27

lr27

lr27

Came to this thread after reading your "building from scratch a dream" thread. Quite an accomplishment. Seems like if you're really losing your focus, you should make sure you don't have a health problem, get plenty of exercise and otherwise take care of yourself as well as possible. Perhaps with this and more training, on a regular basis, you'd be safe to fly again.

P.S. Not sure I could pay attention to machining all day myself, or ever could. Unless there was a fair amount of variety, anyway.

18. Feb 10, 2019 #178

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Ah crap!

19. Feb 10, 2019 #179

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Tell your family that they unfairly pressured an emotional response from you, unfortunately it was a lie. And go back out and fly.