Norms flying Boat

Discussion in 'Bush / Float flying' started by Norm Langlois, Feb 20, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 6, 2017 #121

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Just a short landing video . I was looking at the time line .the first video was taken in 2012 and posted in March 2013 That then means the first flights were in 2012 . during the winter of 2011/12 I replaced the V -tail with current tail. I then had a few short flights during early summer 2012 leading up to labor day week end flights and video. the actual construction began in 09 finishing up with the V-tail that did not fly but did water tests. The original rear floats support broke down and they were also replaced in 2011
    [video=youtube_share;0IjlTAjXrYA]https://youtu.be/0IjlTAjXrYA[/video]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    Turd Ferguson, clanon and Autodidact like this.
  2. Aug 18, 2017 #122

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

I found a couple of pictures to share .I thought all may like. My wing before covering. This is not a kit ,it is all my design. Dihedral wing  and plane 001.jpg Dihedral wing  and plane 002.jpg

I am in limbo till next spring .The plane is put away. I will be going to Fl. for the winter.

3. Jan 27, 2018 #123

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Mid winter everyone must be in hibernation!

I have been developing and flying in the state of New Hampshire. I have very favorable State regulation. All aircraft for the purpose of take off and landing on waters of the sate are only required only to observe navigation rules and are exempt from boating regulations.
    I would like to know how friendly the state of Florida is to this venue. I can not find state air regulations that applicable in comparison. Should I sell my home in NH and make Fl. My perminant residence,I need to find the answer favorable or sell the plane. Can anyone shed light on this subject?

4. Jan 27, 2018 #124

rbrochey

rbrochey

rbrochey

Rule number one... avoid Florida at all costs too many snakes in Florida... and flying cockroaches... big ones... stay in New Hampshire or move to the southwest for warmth... IMHO

5. Jan 29, 2018 #125

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Moved to Florida myself recently, but not up on regs. RBochey's points are well taken - it is hot and muggy most of the year and bugs superior to what NH has. Wakulla Co., 30 miles directly South from Tallahassee is nice; lots of water, but only one airport in the county = grass strip near Panacea.

6. Jan 29, 2018 #126

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

would it be under boating regs?

7. Jan 30, 2018 #127

davidb

davidb

davidb

Florida is very seaplane friendly. Some lakes are closed to seaplanes but most are not and some actively encourage seaplane operations. The Seaplane Pilots Association has a water landing app. What area are you considering? I can search lakes for you.

8. Jan 30, 2018 #128

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

I actually have a second home in Brooksville ,Fl as of this last year. All though it is in a 55+ and there is no storage allowed at the home.
    I was thinking maybe of buying a new home outside of a restricted community.
    I dont like covenants much. For now we are snow birds. Just looking at option.

9. Feb 3, 2018 #129

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Since I expect to be spending my winters here in FL. I plan to go to Sun N Fun down in Lakeland I will poke a few for more answers about the local regulations. Florida is very different. The Counties regulate diff. as well . In New Hampshire it is State wide regulated. Water A body of 25 acres or more belongs to the state, and only a few rare exceptions are private associations.
    Down here I have no clue can not find a thing by way of statutes in Fl. most only refer to airport licensing and private applications . That gives me a presumption that all air strips need and even water bodies need a permit issued to someone. for an airport for such use . Not logical but .

10. Feb 3, 2018 #130

davidb

davidb

davidb

The Seaplane Pilots Association (SPA) is a good source for the information. Lakes within town and city limits are under their jurisdiction and they have the right to close such lakes to seaplanes. There are a few closed lakes around Orlando and one other town. If they are not designated as closed, my understanding is one is free to land there. Also, no local government can stop you from operating on navigable water and Florida has a lot of that. I did my Searey training in Tavares and we were landing on several lakes around there. The closed lakes seem to be mostly small ones with housing developments surrounding them.

11. Feb 4, 2018 #131

pwood66889

pwood66889

pwood66889

Sigh .. the usual 200+ miles/3+39 hours away. But when I'm freer to travel .. Percy

12. Apr 16, 2018 #132

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

I have created a photo stream on i cloud. It seems only ipad ,iphone ,Mac users can see these. I have icloud for windows on my PC but was denied when I sent myself an E-mail test invitation.

If anyone wishes to view this photo archive ,and has compatible device send me an e-mail you wish to use. I will send the invite

E-mail pjlucky282@gmail.com

try this link https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0kJtdOXm8VwHDv

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    MadRocketScientist, fly2kads and WBNH like this.
  13. Apr 17, 2018 #133

WBNH

WBNH

WBNH

Love it. Great detail shots.

I can see them fine on a regular windows laptop.

14. Apr 17, 2018 #134

fly2kads

fly2kads

fly2kads

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I was able to view in on my Mac. Thanks for sharing! It was nice to see some wind underneath those wings at the end!

15. Apr 17, 2018 #135

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Views fine in Chrome on linux.

Someone buy that man a beer! One of the best projects that I've seen on HBA.

16. Apr 17, 2018 #136

WBNH

WBNH

WBNH

I believe you had that plane once at the Sanderson's (YUF) fly-in in Greenland, NH. It was on a trailer with the wing folded (rotated), as I recall. I talked with the President of the Yankee Ultralight Flyers last time I was in Northwood, and, too bad, apparently the group is closed down now (he's still building his Corvair Fly Baby.) But they've mostly combined their efforts with the group down at Crow Island in Massachusetts, so in a sense, the annual fly-in will continue, just not so close by. Hope to see you continue testing and enjoying the creation over the lakes when you're up in NH. It's a really impressive machine for uniqueness. I was happy to see the load testing pics.

17. Apr 17, 2018 #137

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Sorry I don't want to keep posting over myself
    To update the Photo stream that link is all one needs to view. Since posting I noticed the whole stream is scrambled .I have tried to post comments in some pictures to explain. You would need only to drag your courser over an image to make any comments to appear if there is one. I also welcome any question about any photo.
    https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0kJtdOXm8VwHDv

thump likes this.
  18. Apr 17, 2018 #138

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

How many g did you test to?

19. Apr 18, 2018 #139

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

Norm Langlois

I am not sure It was done with the correct numbers . I loaded each side of the wing with 1000 lbs of sand bags. With the intended gross aircraft weight to be 500 lbs.
    Is the wings weight of 80 lbs included? Would this be a 4G load?

20. Apr 19, 2018 #140

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

4G load. the wing is self supporting in the air, so I think it's weight is usually ignored.