No one can explain WHY planes fly...

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

PiperCruisin

Interesting, but I'm just going to assume a "spherical friction-less chicken" and move on.

Aerowerx

Heisenberg: You can't know the position and momentum of a particle, both at the same time.

If you know where it is, you don't know where it is going or how fast.

If you know which direction it is going and how fast, you don't know where it is "NOW".

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Heisenberg: You can't know the position and momentum of a particle, both at the same time.
So if you have two people observing, one position and one momentum, does that mean that together they know everything or nothing? :confused:

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
So if you have two people observing, one position and one momentum, does that mean that together they know everything or nothing? :confused:
Excuse me please. I can not ignore a good question or challenging puzzle but I need more information.
I will assume the two people have similar characteristics to simplify the number of solutions. That given, are the two Republicans or Democrats?

Aerowerx

Excuse me please. I can not ignore a good question or challenging puzzle but I need more information.
I will assume the two people have similar characteristics to simplify the number of solutions. That given, are the two Republicans or Democrats?
One of each, so there is never a chance of agreement. Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is still valid!:p

jedi

Ok. I am wishing I had never posted “anything”, then I could say that until now I have posted “nothing”. I guess that proves that you can never go from “something” to “nothing”.
Now I have a good come back for when the wife says “without me you would be nothing”.

dog

Assuming zero friction, a perfect vacuum, and zero degrees Kelvin...

Airplanes cannot fly.
Welllll, your stipulated conditions do give rise to superfluidic states of matter,condusive to levitation

jedi

For the same reason anything flies: It pushes air downward to move upward.
It would be more accurate to say that it pushes down on the air. Whether the air actually moves and the direction and velocity of motion depends on too many variables to actually predict or accurately measure as has been previously pointed out in great detail.

Last edited:

jedi

Make that "it accelerates the air to produce a force" and we are in agreement.

BJC
Nope. If the air has enough resistance you (or the wing) can push and the air will not move nor accelerate. Air holds airplanes "up" all the time without being accelerated. True, a Pits Pilot might not know this but lets make this a contest and see who can explain what I am thinking as an example.

Anybody want to bite!

Hint: Think outside the biplane and it's multiple "wings".

PiperCruisin

Nope. If the air has enough resistance you (or the wing) can push and the air will not move nor accelerate. Air holds airplanes "up" all the time without being accelerated. True, a Pits Pilot might not know this but lets make this a contest and see who can explain what I am thinking as an example.

Anybody want to bite!

Hint: Think outside the biplane and it's multiple "wings".
Not sure where you are going with this, but think of acceleration as a vector. Or think of the acceleration of a ball on a string being spun in circles. Now imagine that as an air particle as it curves up to go over the top of the airfoil, then curves down to follow the curvature, then reverses direction again as part of the pressure recovery.

Group Builder