• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Need information to use in designing a variable-pitch propeller

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piolenc

I've been exercising my neurons about variable-pitch propellers for some time, because it turns out that a VP prop is essential to several projects that I plan to undertake. After a fair amount of skull sweat I have come up with a mechanism that I think will work, but now I need solid numbers to use in sizing its components.

The centrifugal force will be taken by the propeller mount bearings, and all bearings will be low-friction rolling element bearings. The remaining friction forces should be calculable from manufacturer's data. There is however another force which I know exists, but don't know how to calculate. This is the force that tends to force an unrestrained propeller to take the full flat pitch position. It is caused by the fact that, in that position, the propeller has the lowest potential energy with respect to centrifugal force (i.e. all mass elements are at their furthest outward point). Unfortunately, I haven't been able to figure out how to calculate the force driving the prop to that position, and I need to know it to know the actuation force for each blade and for the operating shaft. If it is too great, it is possible to partially compensate for it using counterweights, and those too need to be calculated.

If anybody knows of a book or a technical report that can help, I would be grateful to hear about it.

Back