• Tiger Budgie

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Mako Canary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Zanonia Raptor

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Autodidact

Help me name an ultralight design I'm working on. I've narrowed it down to three choices:

1. Tiger Budgie

2. Mako Canary

3. Zanonia Raptor

:grin:

pictsidhe

I've been thinking about starting a thread about aircraft names. Many really don't fit the plane, IMHO. Names like RV6 and VJ24 make sense and fit anything.

An ultralight should have a small, slow name. Raptor is pushing things, even the Zanonia variety.

'Chicken' seems apt. Ungainly birds that struggle into the air. 'Turkey' is maybe too big of a name.

I've provisionally called my design 'Lemming'. Mainly so I can snicker at overnamed ULs that I fly past.

Hephaestus

Must call it raptor, just so someone can put the sign in their hangar

"It has been 0 days since the last raptor incident"

My 28,632,176 days sign needs an opposite ;)

Autodidact

I've been thinking about starting a thread about aircraft names. Many really don't fit the plane, IMHO. Names like RV6 and VJ24 make sense and fit anything.

An ultralight should have a small, slow name. Raptor is pushing things, even the Zanonia variety.

'Chicken' seems apt. Ungainly birds that struggle into the air. 'Turkey' is maybe too big of a name.

I've provisionally called my design 'Lemming'. Mainly so I can snicker at overnamed ULs that I fly past.
Yeah, Mako Chicken! Low Slow Sally is pretty cool too, I could just use the initials and call it LSS-1 and people might think it stands for Light Super Sport!

Swampyankee

I can't say I like any of them.

I think you should go for something alliterative or rhyming if you're looking for a two-word name. If you're willing to go to a one-word name, Oklahoma has a lot of birds, but I kind of like Sora.

Autodidact

Sora is a pretty cool name, that I think could actually be used. Out of the ones I posted, Tiger Budgie is probably the most realistic (you know, for something that's completely absurd) because a Budgie is a type of Parakeet and there has been an aircraft named Parakeet, and the Tiger part evokes the book Every man a Tiger by Frank J. O'Brien as well as the Tiger Club in Britain. But still...

choppergirl

Banned
Names like RV6 and VJ24 make sense and fit anything..

"Snow White" that came up recently for a motor glider I thought was a good name... of course, Frog Design used it first as nomenclature for one of their first Macintosh "design languages/themes"

"Jenny" was a good name and so was "Betty (Bomber)". So was "Spitfire". Name it after your girlfriend and you can't go wrong...

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Mach None has been taken already, years ago, by Ace R/C. It was a half-scale replica of a full size ".60 size" pattern ship called the Mach One from Midwest Models. Ace made up the .049 size version to use their universal molded foam wings, and called it the Mach None.

If my feeble memory serves, there was also a full size ultralight called Mach None that came later.

pictsidhe

There's actually a Spruce grouse! That is a must build for someone...
Some of you may cower at the thought, but Quail seems like it would be a good Ultralight name.

BJC

HBA Supporter

Autodidact

I'm starting to like Budgie. That middle pic is pretty nice looking. This thread started out as an attempt at some humor, but underneath it is a real desire to find a name; in seriousness, I was thinking about Putter or Puttabout, but Budgie is pretty good in comparison.