Milholland Cabin Eagle plans released!

Discussion in 'The light stuff area' started by cluttonfred, Apr 26, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 26, 2016 #1

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

For those of you looking for a minimalist two-seater but need to be enclosed....

37876d1422390903-legal-eagle-10830837_427978947358166_1216674353298492146_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Apr 26, 2016 #2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

This plans set came last week. How's that for a low seriel number. Been sittin on it til Leonard announced it. Here's the cover sheet with the specs. Looks pretty good. I haven't had time to really look at them in detail but he knocked himself out on the text and instructions. Lot more detailed and typed rather than hand written. The drawings are the same as the other planes...some like, some don't. I like them as they fit the simple character of the plane and are easy to read. Some complain but there's everything in Leonard's plans that you need to build the plane, except the common sense. We have to supply that ourselves. If you gotta have CAD build something else.
    Think I'll go down and have a look before long.

IMG_4521.jpg

edit. Forgot to mention...120 pages. That's huge for an Eagle!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    Joe Fisher and Propman like this.
  3. May 3, 2016 #3

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I just sent in my order for CE plans and his DVDs. You can never have too many airplane plans! ;-)

Rockiedog2 likes this.
  4. Jun 7, 2016 #4

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

I received my Cabin Eagle plans and DVDs yesterday so I have some studying and watching to do this weekend.

cheapracer and fly2kads like this.
  5. Jun 10, 2016 #5

erkki67

erkki67

erkki67

I'm wondering if Mr. Milholland is going to release one day a tandem seater in the style of a Pietenpol one day?!

rki

6. Jun 10, 2016 #6

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

he's 92...

Area 29 likes this.
  7. Jun 10, 2016 #7

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Give Mr. Milholland's age, I'm not sure that I'd hold my breath for a new design from him. I haven't heard that he's said the Cabin Eagle is his last design or anything like that, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him focus on refining and tweaking his existing designs at this point. It would not be too difficult a project to adapt the wings, tail and gear of the Double Eagle or Cabin Eagle to a new tandem fuselage, but I'd suggest an much easier solution.

Just add some front and rear decking, rounded wingtips and tailsurfaces and full fabric covering to a stock Double Eagle or Cabin Eagle to create a pretty little side-by-side parasol like a lighter Corben/Pober Junior Ace without modifying the actual structure at all, just adding light wooden formers and stringers under the fabric and a new windscreen. How about two separate semicircular windscreens for pilot and passenger like an old roadster, that would look great! This is a single-seat Legal Eagle drawing, but you get the idea.

parasol eagle.jpg

8. Jun 10, 2016 #8

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

LM is building his 2nd Teenie Two right now.

9. Nov 28, 2019 #9

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Cabin Eagle plans holders, there is a small update regarding the stabilizer bolts and fin attachments. Contact Leonard via his site with your plans number and he'll mail you the new page. Cheers, Matthew

10. Nov 28, 2019 #10

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

I'm glad that he has improved the quality of the instructions. I remember seeing a set of original LE written instructions many years ago that one of our EAA chapter guys had. The quality and depth of the instructions was just ever so slightly lower than a Vans or zenith :)

11. Nov 28, 2019 #11

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I’ve been digging through the double eagle plans trying to figure out a specific tube size and dimension for a landing gear part. It’s being extraordinarily elusive. And the drawings aren’t in a scale that lines up with anything on my six-sided scale. So I’ve been doing some extrapolation to get a SWAG dimension. Good times. o_O

12. Nov 28, 2019 #12

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

120 pages? He should print them on Dacron, then you would already have enough material to cover your plane.

Chris In Marshfield likes this.
  13. Nov 28, 2019 #13

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

What part is it?

14. Nov 29, 2019 #14

TFF

TFF

TFF

Helping a friend with his LE XL was at least equal parts plans extrapolation as building. They are loose. It’s all there, just loose. Part of the charm and badge of getting through it. It was his fourth homebuilt and it was his biggest challenge but he started to like the struggle.

You are trying to use real engineering tools? This thing is freestyle. Someone put the LE in CAD. Pretty much the outcome was build from either but not both. Nothing will fit if you mix.

Rockiedog2 likes this.
  15. Nov 29, 2019 #15

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

It’s some TLAR and build one side andmake the other side fit it. LM always said “you gotta think to build an Eagle.” Engineering tools? Leonard got an engineer to design the wing and strut attach fittings. Ridiculous what he came up with. The engineer musta had a lawyer on staff.
    Well, that’s my idea of it.

16. Nov 29, 2019 #16

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

The gear tube that goes from the rear gear attach point on the fuse station 3 down to the axle. It looks to be 3/4” on the plans. But the canted gear update print shows 1-1/8”. If it wasn’t such a difference, I probably wouldn’t sweat it.

17. Nov 29, 2019 #17

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

I see the badge of honor aspect with this project and all of the type :). I think you just have to assume that unless it’s otherwise written, you’re using a 3*4” tube.

18. Nov 29, 2019 #18

JohnB

JohnB

JohnB

Most Double Eagle drawings have 2 different gear drawing sets included. The original set was drawn by Leonard and is undersize and too far to the rear. The other set known as the "deLoach" gear was designed by a retired Chance-Vought engineer who probably designed gear for carrier landings. He moves the axle forward to proper position ,uses larger but thinner tube, the weight is very close (I've built both sets). JohnB

19. Nov 29, 2019 #19

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

JB knows.
    Looking at my early proof copy of plans p57 wt/bal shows the axle 5.4" behind the LE of the wing. IIRC long ago Leonard said the change moved the axle fwd to directly under the LE.
    As far as the tube size goes, looking at the mtrl list in the back of my plans, there is a callout for 6' of 1x035. Unless you can determine for sure like maybe from JB, I would assume that's for the rear leg. 3/4 sounds too small for me.
    The callout for the MGL on my plans is for 1.125x.120. That wall sounds too thick to me but maybe so. Unless I could verify that, I would consider going up diameter and thinner wall for weight. On my plans I have penciled in 1.125x058 but don't remember what that was for.
    The axle wall isn't given on my plans but in the mtrl list there's 2' of 075x065. I wouldn't be surprised if that ends up bending but it's easy to straighten if it does, and at the same time can drive another tube up inside.
    I don't have the updated gear drawings.
    JB?

20. Nov 29, 2019 #20

JohnB

JohnB

JohnB

the sizes on the revised gear are: Main leg 1 1/4" x 058. Drag tube 1 1/8" x 035
    there is an additional top leg that connects the main and drag tubes at the top that is 1/2" x 035 John