Maverick One

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

gtae07

They've done a great job on setting up an expansive executive leadership team. But not a hint of any actual hardware. Not taking them seriously till a prototype flies.

It's telling that they're taking orders and making distributor deals already, but not showing one bit of real progress, just pretty pictures.

BJC

HBA Supporter
We need a name for these types of things, something along the lines of "Virtual Airplane" or "Fanatasy Flier" or "Animation Airplane."

BJC

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Wow, amazing 'claims' for performace. How do you get a plane "Certified for 45,000 ft" when you don't even have a flying prototype?

BTW, this is a civilian plane.... why do the pictures show what looks to be an aerial refueling port?

Jay Kempf

Curmudgeon in Training (CIT)
Lifetime Supporter
Whatever happened to all the other jets they were building? They did fly a prototype at some point a long time ago.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Looks a little like the Atlantica (more like the Boeing BWB), but I suppose most BWB aircraft will look similar. Any relationship between this and Atlantica?

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
Nope, the article says it is based on the Boeing BWB. But the Boeing BWB is also like the Stealth Bomber in that it relies on FBW combined with inertial navigation to stay stable enough to fly. Wonder how they are going to get around that little factoid? My understanding is that these sorts of setups have a virtually single point CG. I suppose if they put a motor under and over the back edge they could throttle trim pitch... :)

Himat

Nope, the article says it is based on the Boeing BWB. But the Boeing BWB is also like the Stealth Bomber in that it relies on FBW combined with inertial navigation to stay stable enough to fly. Wonder how they are going to get around that little factoid? My understanding is that these sorts of setups have a virtually single point CG. I suppose if they put a motor under and over the back edge they could throttle trim pitch... :)
I do think it should be possible to get a BWB like this stable without an inertial aided fly by wire system. At a very basic level it is a flying wing and flying wings are possible to get naturally stable. The CG range I don't know, but the placement of the passengers and load look to be well forward of the CG, and that is usually no good idea.

Jay Kempf

Lifetime Supporter
I do think it should be possible to get a BWB like this stable without an inertial aided fly by wire system. At a very basic level it is a flying wing and flying wings are possible to get naturally stable. The CG range I don't know, but the placement of the passengers and load look to be well forward of the CG, and that is usually no good idea.
I don't necessarily think that the thing as drawn can't have a proper CG. Just that they are talking about huge amounts of heavy baggage and a huge walk around cabin, huge amounts of fuel, varying passenger loads, that all have to be factored into the balance. That for most light jets means a huge potential CG range. Not something that flying wings like to have to contend with.

JamesG

We need a name for these types of things, something along the lines of "Virtual Airplane" or "Fanatasy Flier" or "Animation Airplane."
Not even that. Its a "virtual aircraft company". In reality, just a bunch of guys who talk/ed about building an airplane. Someone did a bit of Legalzoom Dot Com DBA paperwork, registered a domain name, and hacked up a web site. All of the principals probably haven't even actually met each other...

Just another unfunded group day dream. Dime a dozen.

StarJar

Flying wings have comfortable stability at about 14% chord The fly by wire allows them to move the cg rearward for less trim drag, created by the short coupled elevators.

pictsidhe

Scamware?
Keep seeing these 'exciting new designs' come up, yet a prototype or even mock ups seem completely beyond them. Though they'll happily take a deposit or full payment for one. Has anyone noticed this yet: HyperMach
Will supposedly cruise at Mach 4.0, but they don't seem to know the intakes on their pretty computer pictures are completely and utterly wrong for that speed?

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Scamware?
Keep seeing these 'exciting new designs' come up, yet a prototype or even mock ups seem completely beyond them. Though they'll happily take a deposit or full payment for one. Has anyone noticed this yet: HyperMach
Will supposedly cruise at Mach 4.0, but they don't seem to know the intakes on their pretty computer pictures are completely and utterly wrong for that speed?
Hmmm... "our next generation electric gas turbine engine provides the power generation capability to reduce jet emissions by 100%". To zero? That'd be quite an accomplishment, forgive me if I'm slightly skeptical.

"Engine produces sufficient power to operate the multi-stage counter rotating, superconducting, dual ring motor electric bypass fans and superconducting electric ring motor axial compressor, power generation and thrust comes from 5-stage superconducting axial turbine." Gee whiz Mr. Wizard, that sounds complicated! Perhaps they need a few more buzzwords. But act now! "Anybody can get involved, we are developing a consortium programme which will allow any individual to get involved in our project. £100 buys you a share in the development of SonicStar." Sounds like a better deal than the $2,500,000 they're ready to accept for the Maverick...

I guess it's the P.T. Barnum school of aeronautical engineering.

Dana

Aesquire

I love it.

First they claim mach 4.0 & state that 3.8 is the limit because the air turns to plasma.

It uses the latest bicycle alloys. ( also used in aerospace )

Superconducting generators. Superconducting motors to spin the shaftless fans.

Considering the Blackbirds used turbo ram jets and cruised on afterburner, with the most powerful turbojet engine available acting as a pump for bypass air, I figure they need only a half dozen breakthroughs to make it work.

Easiest is going to be either making a high temperature superconductor..... or insulating liquid nitrogen cooled parts from temperatures that melt steel. On both sides of the combustion chambers.

If we had such materials powering the darn thing with Deuterium fusion is possible.

Otoh the stinger up front has the potential to make mach 2 flight with minimal sonic boom practical. .... if it's strong enough.

I have no idea how they get good airflow through those inlets unless they fly upside down.

Himat

I don't necessarily think that the thing as drawn can't have a proper CG. Just that they are talking about huge amounts of heavy baggage and a huge walk around cabin, huge amounts of fuel, varying passenger loads, that all have to be factored into the balance. That for most light jets means a huge potential CG range. Not something that flying wings like to have to contend with.
Bingo!

I do think the term "vaporware" describes this aircraft well.

Autodidact

Hmmm... "our next generation electric gas turbine engine provides the power generation capability to reduce jet emissions by 100%". To zero? That'd be quite an accomplishment, forgive me if I'm slightly skeptical.
I think they may have an economist on staff.

M

Manticore

I connect my BS detector directly to the claimed percentage improvement.

pictsidhe

The Hypermach staff page makes me think of the number 419, why is that?
It's so far out I doubt they'll scam anyone but little kids.