LS-3 Powered Velocity

Discussion in 'Chevy' started by rv6ejguy, Mar 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jul 1, 2019 #101

tspear

tspear

tspear

First you say the factory ECU is fine and shops can reprogram it. I called a couple, they do not reprogram it. They alter the tables and tweak the settings.
    Now you state a programmable ECU are available for $400 bucks. Those same shops said, no, they will not take an empty ECU and develop the program.

Last point, I have developed real time building control systems; with some of the work in assembly some in higher level languages. The cost is not cheap, and this is a low volume business.

Tim

2. Jul 1, 2019 #102

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I got an email from the builder today and he's waiting on avionics and a prop so it will be some time before test flights will occur. He's working on augmentor tubes now and cleaning up many little details. It's an airboat PSRU as far as I know.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  3. Jul 1, 2019 #103

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Looks to be a lightened Ballistic PSRU. Same the P85 (but lightened).

4. Jul 2, 2019 #104

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

I think there are a few terms being confused here. First thing to consider is that when we talk in all encompassing terms, there are always exceptions to the general statements. GM sells ECUs that are not designed for use in production vehicles but are preprogrammed for certain crate engines. These ECUs lack the programming for many of the functions that complicate use of ECUs from production vehicles. That said.the common terminology for changing tables, and eliminating certain functions in any ECU is "programming" or "reprogramming" or "tuning". The tools that are used to modify ECU tables are commonly referred to as"tuners" or "proggramers". I think that maybe the way the question was asked may have resulted in some confusion about the answer of "not reprogramming" or "tuning". Besides changing the existing tables, they can also totally eliminate some of the features contained in the ECU when those features are not needed or desired by the customer. Things like VATS (Vehicle Anti-Theft), A/C , Purge Valve, Transmission control, can all be eliminated from consideration by the ECU when it is making decisions.
    Beyond that there are the "self-learning" ECUs available thru the aftermarket which are not burdened by the complexity of factory ECUs which co-ordinate everything in the known universe of production vehicles. These units are relatively inexpensive when you consider what they are capable of. Set a few simple parameters in the supplied control unit and start the engine. It will monitor what the sensors input and start adjusting the engine operating parameters to suit the best condition. Within a few minutes you have a "drivable" vehicle that is operating at a high level of efficiency. From that point you can adjust certain tables to suit what you think is appropriate for your needs or leave it as is. It will continuously adjust to suit needs and efficiency.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  5. Jul 2, 2019 #105

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Self learning ECUs rely on WB O2 sensors- not a very good idea when burning 100LL.

6. Jul 3, 2019 #106

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

Is your friend going to run 100 LL in his Chevy ? I had assumed he would run the cheaper Mogas that the engine was originally designed to use. Your systems are compatible with both fuels, aren't they ? Something I hadn't considered previously was how the lead in fuel might affect the synthetic oil used in todays auto engines. Have you heard anything about compatibility of LL and synthetic oils ?

7. Jul 3, 2019 #107

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

If he wants to do cross country flights, he'll have to use 100LL sometimes until there is more UL avgas available. You can use synthetic oil with 100LL if the change interval is 20-25 hours. Long term, it doesn't hold lead in suspension well and isn't recommended.

Our EFI is compatible with mogas or 100LL.