LS-3 Powered Velocity

Discussion in 'Chevy' started by rv6ejguy, Mar 27, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 12, 2019 #81

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Doing. Also: answering questions and having a conversation. I did mention answering question, right?

2. May 12, 2019 #82

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Show us the pictures.

3. May 12, 2019 #83

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

Pfarber. You came onto HBA with guns blazing, insulting each person in turn, who are professionally experienced in what you were posting about- TV, redrives, engines and now EFI. You do nothing to contribute to useful discussion, information or increasing knowledge here for other folks. Your tone is abrasive and unfriendly. Your posts show you have much to learn about all these topics. I wish you the best of luck IF you ever actually build anything and fly it, which I doubt will actually happen.

I am again thankful for the Ignore feature here on HBA...

BoKu, wsimpso1 and akwrencher like this.
  4. May 12, 2019 #84

TarDevil

TarDevil

TarDevil

Beat me to it... and much more effectively. Challenging Ross on ECU's?? Billski on re-drives??

Judging by his response to your last post I submit that further efforts, should you choose, are for the sake of comedy. Else, a waste of bandwith.

BoKu likes this.
  5. May 12, 2019 #85

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Maybe I'm the Lone Ranger here, but a good laugh is soothing to one's soul. For those that have a soul, that is.

TarDevil and wsimpso1 like this.
  6. May 13, 2019 #86

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Super Moderator Staff Member

Way high. 23 years in automatic tranny design, and we ran as high as 97% with a significant oil pump and open clutch drag on half the clutches...95% with a cool running gear oil filled gearbox or 98% with belts is a conservative guess. So you lose 7 to 15 hp there.

As to extra power to haul the extra weight. 50 pounds of extra lift will cost you, what 6 pounds of extra induced drag? At 300 ft/sec, that is 3.27 hp.

So now you are losing 18 hp when running 300.

Now to the accessories with the redrive. The stock pulley ratios are designed to get positive charge at 600 engine rpm and positive continuous cooling at high torque and 2000 rpm. Turning a prop at 600 rpm probably too low, but that is 1500 engine rpm. And turning a prop will only make much torque and this much cooling need in the upper 80% of whatever your operational max is. Alternator consumes power with square of its rpm, water pump with cube... accesory speed has a realLy big effect... You can run either bigger accessory pulleys or smaller crank pulleys or a little of both. Betcha there are go fast parts that are well proven for LS that do exactly this. So your added losses at the accessories might be true if you are not smart. Be smart though, and it can be zero.

Can the truck crank carry the prop gyroscopic moments? Good thing to check... might need a separate prop shaft with some weight anyway.

Last part is these engines that are big enough to run direct are going to be heavier than the smaller engine that does it all with a redrive.

Redrive s have drawbacks, but efficiency ain't necessarily one of em.

Billski

rv6ejguy and Himat like this.
  7. May 13, 2019 #87

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  8. May 17, 2019 #88

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

I'm not burning bridges, I'm dropping dead weight.

Feel free to ignore me, really. Please don't post in any thread I start. Thank you.

9. May 17, 2019 #89

TarDevil

TarDevil

TarDevil

I and others are free to post as desired in keeping with forum rules of conduct. This forum is for the benefit of of it's members in aggregate and, hopefully, corrections to misinformation will continue... including threads initiated by you. As to the veracity of your posted information, I defer to other knowledgeable sources here with demonstrable credibility.

Regarding my responses to your threads, you are at liberty to employ the ignore feature at your discretion. Please do!

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    BoKu, rv6ejguy and Kyle Boatright like this.
  10. May 17, 2019 #90

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

We are all in the same boat...or plane. It would be nice if we could all act like we are on the same team. No one here is perfect, and we all make errors from time to time.

Maybe we could employ tact, and help to foster an air of working together to achieve a positive outcome. My employer called it Cockpit Resource Management. Call it what ever you like, but it has been shown that we all benefit from working together, versus the other alternatives.

I am as flawed as anyone, perhaps more so. That is why I return to this forum in hopes of not only finding good information, but sharing from my experiences in the build of my T-51.

Not pointing a finger at anyone. But I do look in the mirror...

akwrencher likes this.
  11. May 23, 2019 #91

pfarber

pfarber

pfarber

Data has neither gender, feelings, or emotions. It is a number on a page. The person reading that data, and refusing to accept or learn from it is the real issue.

Granted old heads have fragile ego's and think that time spent posting has meaning (it doesn't). When old heads think that their post count has more weight that cold hard data is hilarious.

I think more people would post if the the threads were kept sterile.. the first sign of going off topic should be crushed. There are other forums for debating feelings and how important you think you are (not a personal attack, just a general observation).

12. May 23, 2019 #92

narfi

narfi

narfi

So how were the test flights?

13. May 23, 2019 #93

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy

Has that Velocity flown yet?

14. May 24, 2019 #94

narfi

narfi

narfi

Maybe I misunderstood what was being posted, but I thought it was planned to fly a couple weeks ago,

15. May 24, 2019 #95

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

rv6ejguy

I haven't heard anything lately from the builder.

16. May 25, 2019 #96

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

rv7charlie

Hi Narfi, my post was supposed to be a joke; any time you ask a work crew when they can do a job, they invariably say 'Tuesday'. What can I say? Humor via the interwebs is hard.

narfi likes this.
  17. Jun 28, 2019 #97

lvaero

lvaero

lvaero

That, by far is one of the best-sounding aircraft we have heard to date. There is nothing that can compare to a cross-planed small block Chevy. Well done!!

18. Jun 28, 2019 #98

Bill Welter

Bill Welter

Bill Welter

Sounds great! Should move out pretty good! But I believe the LS3 is a 90 degree crank. What's the total weight of the firewall backwards package?

19. Jun 30, 2019 #99

Winginitt

Winginitt

Winginitt

If you watch it in the large U Tube format you can see the dangling wires and the ignition switch keys appear to be perfectly still, indicating a very smooth and vibration free instalation. Nicely Done!

20. Jul 1, 2019 #100

REVAN

REVAN

REVAN

That's a beautiful installation of the LS3 engine. The PSRU unit looks very nice also. Is that a purchased PSRU product, or a custom engineered and built PSRU solution for this particular plane and engine?