• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Hot Duct

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crytes

I've been reading on ducted fans and have read about cooling ducts for liquid cooling solutions. It seems that a duct design that slows airflow through the duct is beneficial to both cooling and propulsion ducts. In the fan a duct design that decreases airspeed through the duct will increase duct pressure and I suspect reduce parasitic drag or the duct itself allowing thrust augmentation hopefully in amounts to negate the drag or the duct. Now in the cooling duct the slower air flow is more effective at absorbing heat from a radiator and causing the air to expand further increasing duct pressure again augmenting thrust to further offset the drag of the duct. I was wondering if anyone knows of an example that has combined the two functions into one duct. My idea is to use a properly dimensioned duct that incorporates a fan, a radiator, and probably a venturi near the end or the duct to inject engine compartment hot air and exhaust into the duct. Between this and a turbocharger I would think this would put a significant portion of the waste heat of the engine to work.

Back