• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Honest answers based on real experience wanted

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
I have moved into a 2nd floor aircraft workshop, housed in an old Ice Cream factory. Yes, an aircraft workshop on the 2nd floor. There is what I call the "Launching Pad" - a great big balcony with railings which swing back to allow high-lift hoists to lift stuff up/down. So in about 18 month's time I'm expecting to engage their services to lift the Razorback down from 2 stories to the back of a waiting truck.

Time will tell...

But right now, I have a very practical question:

Essentially, it is about engines. I have a BMW K75 engine in the "Ice Cream Works" secret design facility. I have grave doubts that it will fit inside the fuselage of the Razorback, which is only about 11 feet long. It is going off to the local BMW shop to check that it is functional, etc. It has been in storage for about 13 years now, so there is some question over whether or not it will be serviceable in the plane anyway.

Assuming it IS serviceable, I still need to check that it can fit inside the minute Razorback.

If it DOESN'T fit...

I'm looking for an alternate power unit. The top contenders are the Big Twin from Valley Engineering (4-stroke, 121 lbs, 50hp) which is very tall, and would require a belly-bulge to accommodate it under the cowl, or the MZ202 (2-stroke, 88lbs, 60hp) which would fit very easily under the cowl. Both cost about the same. Except that the MZ202 is a dreaded 2-stroke...

My basic question is: is using a 2-stroke REALLY that much of an issue? How reliable are they, REALLY? And how significant an advantage is it to reduce the weight of an aircraft? I've read (on this forum) that there is no substitute for a light plane when it comes to general maneuverability.

This may well be a moot point, since the K75 may be given a clean bill of health, and may fit. In which case, I'll use it happily.

But if not, what would you guys recommend?

Regards,
Duncan

Last edited:
Back