• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Gentlemen, I need help....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revlis240

Hey guys,
I would love some help and advice as I have seriously done hundreds of hours of research only to arrive at no solid conclusion. I will try to keep it as short as possible. Here goes:

Theory: Want to fly before 30th birthday. Started taking SPL Lessons, first lesson next week. Currently 28 years old, giving 2 years for proper training and starting a build, etc.

Desire: Want a plane to travel places with, usually around 500 miles of los angeles. Would love a cruise of over 100mph, and decent range. Would prefer something with BRS just for peace of mind.

Possibilities: Sonex, Zodiac CH650, Titan Tornado, LongEZ...? I would love a certified, but I dont have $80-100k.

Problems:
- Sonex: Too **** cramped, no room for baggage, no BRS. Price VERY reasonable
- Zodiac: Supposedly low cruise speed. But allos for BRS and Corvair engine
- Titan Tornado II: Expensive for what you get I think? But good cruise speed and space. BRS also
- LongEZ: I have zero composite experience and it takes THOUSANDS of hours to build...but its the most efficient design, best long range and speed machine. No space for baggage and high build time, and no BRS are issues for me...

I dont know what the right way to go is! It has to have 2 seats, some baggage space and cost effective. I looked up the ASN crash summaries, and it concerned me that so many titan tornadoes had so many fatalities. Many engine failures (probably due to using 2 stroke engines), but they seem to fall apart on impact. This is a reason why i want to have BRS. It seems that an engine out on take off or shortly there after were a cause for a lot of fatalities.

Please give some advice!

Thanks guys
Abe :)

Back