• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

flying noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ebonheart_2

Hi everyone

Would any of you be aware of what research is being done to quiet down aircraft? Things that would relate to GA aircraft that is; not jet engines or anything. All I've found are these two sites about tuning exhaust. Would any of you know, first hand, how effective this can be... as well as adding HPs? I've also read something about trying to make the airframes produce less noise but cant find it.

http://www.piteraq.dk/flight/exhaust.html
http://www.amtonline.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=1502

How effective would angling the exhaust back, and/or up be? Besides the fact that angling it up (or back and up at a 45º) would put it in the faces of most pilots... unless they were flying a rear-engined plane.... It would haved to be better than just straight down like most aircraft right (talking about for people on the ground at the moment)?

and I havnt ever flown a glider so I dont really know how noisy airframes are... but I guess it would add up pritty quick on a 747 or something.

Back