Flying Cars: A History

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Dan Thomas, May 19, 2013.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. May 26, 2013 #21

Southron

Southron

Southron

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah!!! just about anyone can design a "Flying Car" what I really need is a "Flying Pick-Up Truck!!!" I live on a farm.

Do we have any aeronautical engineer genius types that can design one...or at least draw a "Dream Flying Pick-Up Truck" and post some pics on this BB???

Now, that would be a real advance in aviation and highway vehicles, all at the same time.

2. May 26, 2013 #22

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Dan Thomas

Many factors, among them the fact that so many inventors try to sell the product before it's anything more than lines on paper. Depositors and investors get burned repeatedly, and the rest of us, after 70 or more years of attempts, start to get a little cynical. And then a few of these things get built and either fly poorly or not at all, and some kill their occupants.

That's why the whole idea makes so many people vocally skeptical. Can you blame them?

It took Edison many attempts to create a light bulb, but he killed no one doing it and took nobody's money, as far as I'm aware. And it sure didn't take him 70 years. His experimenting resulted in longer and longer burn times, promising him that there must be some material that would work satisfactorily. A practical and safe flying car is going to take superlight and superstrong materials that we don't have yet, as far as I can see. And that material will make such fantastic airplanes that flying cars made of it will look slow and clunky by comparison.

Dan

3. May 26, 2013 #23

Himat

Himat

Himat

I don't know all Europe, but here in Norway it's not that bad. Operating from the sea is pretty unrestricted, innland it usually go by the size of the lake and if it's close to populated areas. If the lake is large enough, the use of motorized boats are allowed and then usually also seaplanes are allowed in populated areas. Most restricted are lakes in remote areas without other "human" activites. In those cases a special permit is needed for each flight.

4. May 26, 2013 #24
  5. May 26, 2013 #25

oriol

oriol

oriol

Himat,

Thanks for the inputs about seaplane operations in norway. I guess any european country has its own particular legal requirements on the matter, even if they are all members of the CEE.

Amphib airplanes are very interesting because they don´t require to build costly infrastructures to be able to land on lakes, the government only has to permit their use.

Oriol

6. May 26, 2013 #26

autoreply

autoreply

autoreply

Lucky #$%$ ;)
    Here, there's one area where you're allowed to fly a float/waterplane. If you arrange for an AOC (!) and some other bureaucratic exercises...

I'd say the technical challenges of a flying car are utterly trivial as compared to the bureaucratic and regulatory challenges. Let alone things like ATOL or STOVL from non-airports..