Flight Physical Question

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Peterson

I am just a lowly student pilot right now, but still pretty stoked about my first solo flight coming up. I was wondering if the Class 1W flight physical I did with the Army will satisfy the requirements needed to be allowed to solo, or if I will need to get a civilian flight surgeon to give me a different type of exam.

Thanks in advance

pwood66889

Check out FAR Part 67 (Federal Aviation Administration) as to what each class of FAA flight physical covers. Since you appear to be currently flying Army swing-wing, I believe your 1W (what ever the W means) will suffice. How often do you get those?
`Zat CH-47 you, Pete? And can I give your regards to Ft. Rucker?
Percy in SE Bama

Peterson

WOC packet in and goes to board in May. I really hope I can give your regards to Fort Rucker, but won't know for sure until June. CH-47 is my goal, unless the V 280 actually gets picked up. I'll check the FAR, but lots of that legal speak is like trying to read a foreign language on sleeping pills.

BillM

When I was in the air Force (LONG time ago) I got my flight physical on base at no cost to me. I was flying in the USAF aeroclub on base if that makes any difference.
BillM

FritzW

Log Member
It's a paperwork thing not a health thing. Unless the Army Flight Doc is an FAA blessed Flight Doc and is willing to do all the FAA paperwork your Army Class 1 won't do you any good. (and vise versa)

I played the "two physicals a year" game for a long time. I'd tell my civilian flight doc that I just had an Air Force Class 1 and he'd say "okay", then he'd snap a blue rubber glove on his hand and say "bend over" :gig:

Sadly, it's "apples and oranges".

P.S. congratulations on getting into the WOC program!

Peterson

I appreciate the answers, and it looks like I'll also be playing the 2 physicals a year game.

Thanks Fritz. I haven't been accepted into the WOC program yet, but I got confirmation today that I will be at next month's selection board.

lake_harley

Not trying to hijack a thread, but since my question regards a FAA physical I thought I'd just ask here.

FAA has cardiomyopathy on my record over a failed medical from 1979 over some medications that my doctor at the time prescribed. Fast forward to now and I passed a medical at the local AME, but it was "deferred" to OK City. With their records showing a history of cardiomyopathy they want a doctor's opinion on my current condition and prognosis. So for now I'm viewed as guilty until I can prove myself innocent. I went to a couple doctors and the second, a cardiologist, wanted to do a echocardiogram/stress test including some injections that would have cost $6000-$8000. I haven't gone through with it fearing that the "opinion" that the doctor might translate out of the test might be as detrimental as helpful. Has anyone used the services of any of the companies that claim to have the ability to help you through the medical process (3rd class) if you've been denied, or fear you might be? For what it's worth, I haven't seen a cardiologist since about 1979 or 1980, and haven't taken any medications since then for any cardio issue. Honestly, I'm probably in better health now than I was at 27 years old, thanks to my wife!

Lynn

TFF

Go to the flight surgeon and get a consultation visit. I would try to find a flight surgeon that only does flight physicals as his practice. That is his business; one that handles airline pilots. Mock fight physical that does not count on your record; the doc if worth beans will have referral doctors that understand flight physical needs. Im pretty sure thats what those services do.

FritzW

Log Member
Have you checked with EAA and AOPA? They probably have some good info on that sort of issue.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Not trying to hijack a thread, but since my question regards a FAA physical I thought I'd just ask here.

FAA has cardiomyopathy on my record over a failed medical from 1979 over some medications that my doctor at the time prescribed. Fast forward to now and I passed a medical at the local AME, but it was "deferred" to OK City. With their records showing a history of cardiomyopathy they want a doctor's opinion on my current condition and prognosis. So for now I'm viewed as guilty until I can prove myself innocent. I went to a couple doctors and the second, a cardiologist, wanted to do a echocardiogram/stress test including some injections that would have cost $6000-$8000. I haven't gone through with it fearing that the "opinion" that the doctor might translate out of the test might be as detrimental as helpful. Has anyone used the services of any of the companies that claim to have the ability to help you through the medical process (3rd class) if you've been denied, or fear you might be? For what it's worth, I haven't seen a cardiologist since about 1979 or 1980, and haven't taken any medications since then for any cardio issue. Honestly, I'm probably in better health now than I was at 27 years old, thanks to my wife!

Lynn
Getting through the first physical might be the easy part. The hard part might be having to re-prove that you're okay every time your medical expires as a condition of getting a renewal. The FAA has been known to do that. Really want to be paying $6000-$8000 every time?

Make it easy on yourself. Go get your Glider rating, then your self-launch logbook endorsement. You'll be able to fly anything that says "Glider" on the airworthiness certificate, including a Stemme, Europa, or any other high-performance retractable-gear motorglider. Or any lower-performance one, too. Absolutely no medical required.

Then hang in there flying motorgliders until the FAA (hopefully) drops the Third Class Medical requirement from PPL-ASEL sometime in the (hopefully near) future. Your biggest concern right now is to not get a denied medical. My gut feeling is that, for the proposed "no medical" PPL-ASEL, the same requirement will almost certainly exist as with Sport Pilot: Your most-recent medical attempt cannot have been denied by the FAA. If it means pulling out of your current efforts to get a medical, do so, IMHO. Anything to keep a "Denied" off your record.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You ask me it's real simple. look in the mirror and ask your self, am I safe to fly? will my ticker give out at altitude? only you as a person can say if your healthy enough to fly, don't kid yourself if you have had warnings then give in and let a CFI take you out around the patch and just enjoy the flight.

lake_harley

TFF....I just got the contact information this evening on a Doctor that I think is exactly the type you're referring to. I'll follow up on it tomorrow.

FritzW...I have belonged to EAA for a couple years, and just yesterday joined AOPA specifically so I'd feel legitimate asking their input and/or help. Basically both told me I'd just have to go through some testing and (hopefully) test well enough for it to satisfy the testing doctor enough to write a good enough test summary that FAA might accept as acceptable. Lot's of room for things to go badly there, in my opinion, especially if the Doctor has a negative view on private aviation.

Topaz....There's not much glider activity in this are to my knowledge, but maybe I'd need to look into your suggestion and see if there are gliders around and I've just not heard about it. On your last point about potential 3rd class medical reform wording, I think it was a gentleman at EAA that I talked with that feared, like I do, that having the most recent medical application on record being denied would keep one from using the "driver's license medical", just like it does for Sport Pilot.

Don....I agree 100% that self-evaluation is the best and final check for any pilot. Unless someone has a death wish, and unfortunately some do, no one would go flying if they felt it wasn't going to end well. For those who would fly "no matter what", there's no stopping them....not now...not ever.

Lynn

Last edited:

Turd Ferguson

Lynn, this is the guy you need to contact and you need to follow his instructions exactly.

Aeromedicaldoc

Lynn

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
That'll get all the SSA sites. There are quite a few more. Look for soaring sites at small, out-of-the-way airports that otherwise don't have a lot of traffic. "Lots of traffic" and gliders don't usually mix well, since the latter don't fly "by the numbers" patterns and generally have only 1-2 manpower for taxiing. ;)

Latest posts