Experimental sea plane please follow along

Discussion in 'Aircraft Design / Aerodynamics / New Technology' started by michael Hille, Jan 26, 2020.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 26, 2020 #1

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

My new build has started

blane.c, aviast and mcrae0104 like this.
  2. Jan 26, 2020 #2

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Yeah, hi, could you actually write some detail here about what you're building thanks? Maybe a picture or 2, It would be appreciated, thanks.

BoKu and donjohnston like this.
  3. Jan 26, 2020 #3

BoKu

BoKu

BoKu

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I think he wants you to like and subscribe.

stanislavz and cheapracer like this.
  4. Jan 26, 2020 #4

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

crusty old aviator

Have you looked at the Airshark? 200 mph on 200 hp with an airframe that was designed with NASA software, 4 place. The kits are no longer made, nor supported, but the designers sons are still around at Comp Air in Florida.

5. Jan 26, 2020 #5

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Yup.

In China the Ladies that hang around Ex-Pats bars hoping to pick up a Western husband are called "Visa Vampires", I need to figure a name for these posters who are trying to cash up from Youtube, drop a link, and have little interest in being active Members otherwise.

"Youtube Yodelers", "Youtube Yielders" ..... :D

stanislavz likes this.
  6. Jan 26, 2020 #6

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

I sure can it a 2- 4 place amphibian with a welded aluminum hull I’m expecting 100kts cruise and a stall speed of 40 knots I just like building and experimenting

7. Jan 26, 2020 #7

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

You can only if your interested, otherwise I will keep you posted here

kentlik likes this.
  8. Jan 26, 2020 #8

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

Ahhh I just read your comments regarding making money , firstly I make no money from these videos it’s to promote and help others building and flying and to get more people involved in aviation. It’s negative comments like this above that stop people Sharing. my passion is aviation and I just want to share with other like minded people. This is what experimental aviation is all about and I thought this is what this forum is all about ? Thanks for the feedback guys I appreciate any feedback

kentlik, Dominic Eller and Riggerrob like this.
  9. Jan 26, 2020 #9

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

MadRocketScientist

Canterbury, New Zealand, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy.
    I wouldn't take it personally, it is taking some people quite a while to realize that there is a whole different group that prefers to make videos about builds instead of posting pictures and descriptions in a build log. Not better or worse, just different. If you prefer doing videos, just do that and post the link to each one here!

I don't think anyone makes anywhere near as much money from youtube as they used to(if they monetize their videos) since the whole payscale was changed.

10. Jan 26, 2020 #10

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

Thanks for the support, I’m definitely not one to write things down and post photos, it takes me away from building so I find it easier to make a quick video during building and reply to comments I also love watching other build videos so if anyone out there is doing the same I would love to watch them

kentlik, Dominic Eller and blane.c like this.
  11. Jan 27, 2020 #11

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

OngratulTions on a great start!
    May I suggest extending the tail boom to improve stability?

michael Hille likes this.
  12. Jan 27, 2020 #12

litespeed

litespeed

litespeed

Good on ya Micheal,

Just go for it, having built two from plans you are farther along as a building guru than most of us.

Forget the knockers, and blue skys.

13. Jan 27, 2020 #13

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

My complaint is the ever growing numbers who use Forums and Facebook groups to increase their Youtube view numbers, without being an active part of those Forums and Groups.

They couldn't even be bothered to put a description in with the link, and as far as I'm concerned, that's spam in a can.

So it's not about "knocking", it's about trying to maintain some decency and active involvement between those with common goals, while helping each other along by answering questions, offering suggestion and sharing knowledge, not for just one's self.

Who would help this Member's problem if we all just posted our own videos, and in the thread he mentions he tried another idea from me, not that it was "Who" that matters, what matters is that it came from an 'Active Member'..

https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/...-wing-rib-lightening-holes.32982/#post-514270

14. Jan 27, 2020 #14

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

I don't have a problem watching a video someone links, then coming back here to comment. Certainly easier to follow than using the YT comment system. Sure some extra detail in the thread for context would be good though for cases such as right now where I can't go watch the video yet. So until I have the ability to I have no idea what the project is about.

15. Jan 27, 2020 #15

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

Thanks for that, I have kept short in the drawing and once I get the hull on wheels with engine I was going to weigh it and push that tail out as far as possible to keep within my CG limits from the boat hull behind the pilot to the tail is 3300mm in the drawing

16. Jan 27, 2020 #16

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

Thanks for that Mate , I plan on using a beefed up Cruzer wing from my last build so should work nicely I think
    Thanks for the support

kentlik and Dominic Eller like this.
  17. Jan 27, 2020 #17

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

Very good point when I get a chance I will post some info , thanks for the support Mate

Dominic Eller likes this.
  18. Jan 28, 2020 #18

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

The build concept is the first tig welded aluminum hull amphibious aircraft ( that I know of ) .I believe I can make it lighter than fibreglass . Plan is to build a very low cost aircraft the is simple to build lightweight and be able to land anywhere so it will have big turf glide tyres . The hull design should allow for very rough water for an amphibian. This should have the largest cabin in its class cruise at 100knots stall at 40 powered by a Subaru ej22 160 hp fuel injected conversion like what I have in my zenith Cruzer I plan to use a modified Cruzer wing as it’s proven to do 100knots on this engine configuration . This one will be very basic with just airspeed alt compass just the minimum for the proof of concept.
    In the photos I have mocked up the hull in MDF to see how the flat sheets will form from my drawings. And will also give me templates to cut the alloy. Compared to my other builds this should be a reasonably fast build as I’m keeping it very simple.
    It will be able to be registered as a 2 or 4 seat if 2 seat it will have a massive baggage area for camping fishing Diving ect. I will be using full span flaparons like my Cruzer. Big matco brakes for great stopping ability for short field landing and takeoff - my Cruzer takes off in lees than 50m loaded and lands in less than 80m hard on the brakes and a climb rate of 1500ft/m with this power so I’m expecting great performance using this modified wing type minus some losses due to a pusher configuration and maybe additional drag so should be a fun project . If all goes to plan happy for any imput or ideas as I don’t pretend to know everything and I’m always learning.

Attached Files:

19. Jan 28, 2020 #19

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Might be more efficient to bolt those upper wings onto the lower wings. Like a Taylor Coot.

20. Jan 28, 2020 #20

michael Hille

michael Hille

michael Hille

Thanks for that , I plan on using strut braced down to the hull. I will check out the Taylor coot to understand what you mean. Thanks for that