• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Experience re-engining a certified aircraft?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

addaon

Supporting Member
The TO-360 on my Commander 112 TCA is getting very, very tired. I think I have another year in it, maybe two, but I'm definitely approaching "pushing my luck" territory.

Overhauling the TO-360 is cost prohibitive -- Lycoming wants this engine to have never existed, and overhaul quotes are coming in at much higher than a TIO-540 overhaul would be.

I was vaguely optimistic that the new MOSAIC standards would include the Commander, giving some freedom to play with ASTM standard engines, but the 58 kts Vs1 makes this exceedingly unlikely.

So, as I see it, I have four paths:
  1. Buckle up at pay $80k+ for an overhaul of a TO-360. Cost prohibitive.
  2. Look at other existing engine options, either through TC or STC. The 112TCA is on the same type certificate (A12SO) as the rest of the 112 and 114 family, but is listed there with only the TO-360 engine, and has structural differences (e.g. longer wings!) than the rest of the family -- am I correct in assuming that there's no magic rule that would allow me to use other engines in the TC without going through the full STC process? There are STCs for different engine options (including a turbo-normalized IO-360 that would be a decent fit), but only for the 112/112A/112B -- and I assume these help me not at all. So I think this is not applicable.
  3. Go through the process to get a (one off?) STC for a certified engine. Significant engineering, expensive, and the best fit engine (probably a TIO-360) is still not amazing. More info requested from someone who has gone through this process.
  4. Take the Commander experimental (Exhibition?), and slap a non-certified engine on it. Just as much engineering as (3), but possibly cheaper, and possibly giving me a better result. Strongly request info from someone who has done this. (I accept that this would make reselling the aircraft in the future unlikely.)
The TO-360-C1A6D (TC E-26EA) is 210 hp @ 2575 rpm, dry weight 374 lbs. Critical altitude is supposedly way up there, but it's always been around 14k ft for mine. It's "fine" -- climb near gross is slow, cruise is adequate. My Commander is quite nose heavy -- lead acid battery in the back, and still over-stable (underdamped phugoid, etc) with two people up front. So there's a bit of potential gain for more power, but not essential; and some real potential gains for less weight.

The ULPower UL520T is 220 hp @ 2700 rpm, "installed weight" 269 lbs. Critical altitude is 15k ft. With a correctly matched propeller (a bit shorter diameter), I'd expect similar climb and cruise performance (a bit more power at a bit less diameter); I'm okay with a slightly extended takeoff roll from the smaller prop. 100 lb weight reduction seems realizable; plus maybe a bit more from taking the hunk'o'lead battery and thick cables to it and throwing an EarthX up front.

Overall, based on my time flying the Commander, my limited knowledge of aircraft systems, and my discussions with ULPower, I suspect that the Commander 112TCA with a ULPower 520T would be a better aircraft than it currently is with the TO-360, even if the TO-360 was not approaching end-of-life...

So… how crazy is this idea? Should I really focus on option (3) instead of (4)? Other thoughts and ideas?

Back